Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65
Wall outline , is there a easy way

Wondering if y'all may have some tricks to use to get my interior walls to fit snug up to the walls of the bus? I'm gonna use luan.

Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Re: Wall outline , is there a easy way

Seems like everyone on here has been using some 4x8 rigid foam board cut it as a template then transfer it onto your Luan. sounded the easiest to me.

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I just remembered a video Tyger Cub put together on the topic. She came up with a simple and accurate method. You will have to go to the following entry date and time to see the video because I don't know how to copy it here. Having said that I see a direct you tube link is here

Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal
by TygerCub » Sun May 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Today I covered the rear of the bus with flooring. Went to see "Battleship" with my Mother, which was fun in a mindless entertainment sort of way. Ate dinner with her, then came home and crawled under the bus to contemplate where the hell I'm going to put my waste tank for the umpteenth time. Gave up and came inside to put together the video below.

There is one more I haven't gotten the time to edit yet. But in the mean time, here is a long overdue explanation of how I created the template for my ceiling curvature:

Basically, the video shows me taping poster board to the wall and a corner post. I then hold a permanent marker against a measuring tape that has been expanded so the tip is against the ceiling and the body of the tape is by the pen. I hold the pen steady as I follow the curve of the ceiling, which naturally transfers the shape to the poster board. The board is trimmed along the line and test fitted. Any minor adjustments that need to be made are done and the final product is displayed.

Easy peasy!

Hope this helps someone. I'll post more later.
GALLERY = http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... -Begining/
2nd BUS THREAD = viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12010
YOUTUBE = http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub
BLOG = http://tygercub.blog.com
TygerCub
Bus Nut
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Cardboard is my go-to material to make patterns for fitting my cabinets to the curvy walls of our bus. I picked up two refrigerator boxes on trash day and that heavy cardboard was perfect for making big patterns.

To make a pattern I cut the cardboard to roughly follow the wall to within a half inch or so. To scribe the pattern to the wall I cut a small piece of 1/2" wood block a little shorter than my pencil and taped a pencil to it. Then I held the rough cut pattern against the wall and marked (scribed) the wall profile onto the cardboard by running the wood block against the wall while pressing the pencil against the cardboard. That transfers the wall profile to the cardboard very accurately. Once that was done I'd carefully trim the pattern at the pencil line and re-test the fit.

It's way easier to adjust the fit of a cardboard pattern than to adjust the fit of the cabinet after it's built, but if you do need to adjust your luan panels after they're cut use a belt sander or sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood rather than a saw. It's very difficult to make small curve adjustments with a saw. Sanding takes longer but gives you much greater control.

I was a bit sloppy making my first pattern and was "rewarded" by having to laboriously sand and test fit my big heavy wall cabinet several times to get a good, tight fit. I took more time on the next patterns and those cabinets slid into place nice and tight the first time.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65

thats video helped out ,i got big sheets of cardboard ill be working with thanks !!
Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote