Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: SO Bummed out! Bus is dead.....

It wouldn't be cheap, but any transmission shop can fix it...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I know it doesn't help you much, but United Truck Body in Duluth, MN has a user MT643 for only $450. It just goes to show that the transmissions ARE out there. Keep your chin up and do some looking.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Maybe you'll want to post up on Craigslist and see if you can't find a shadetree mechanic to R&R the tranny for you. With the economy as it is and dealerships suffering there is an abundance of techs floating around out there that might not be booking 40 hours per week. If you were to dangle a tranny R&R out in front of them I'm sure they would jump at the chance. Sure, an MT643 in a bus is a lot bigger than a lot of the transmission they typically do, but it's also a whole heck of a lot easier! I don't think you have to remove have to bus like you do on some cars.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Are you sure that the transmission is completely dead? I'd at least try filling it up with fluid to see if it will work (following the first law of mechanics: try the simple, cheap stuff first). If it works, then you could find the leak and fix it. I don't think I'd trust the tranny for a cross-country trip after it had been run out of fluid, but maybe you could make the bus driveable without spending a lot of money you don't have.
zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Wow this is the saddest thing I have heard in a bit. I got to say, I feel terrible for a lot of you guys down south. The whole situation is no good for us people without loads of money! But listen, up here in Saskatchewan Canada right now if you guys live in a skoolie you could move on up here for a bit and have all the work you want. I am not saying that Canada ain't feeling the crunch but, we have too much work up here. Actually there is a large Potash mining corporation just 20 minutes from here that is moving full ahead with a $2.7 Billion dollar expansion, they need labour skilled and un-skilled for the next 4-8 years. I build houses and do renos and I can't keep up.

So Vanguy67 if you do get that tranny fixed and want some work, why not consider us way up here, our beer is a little stronger and have you ever met a Canadian girl? What I probably shouldn't tell you is that the forecast for today is -54 Fahrenheit... a little below average....
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

that is a real bummer especially when the seller gets on another forum to hack you and does not help out its not your fault the trans f*&%ed up i would also try puttin some fluid in it to see what it does could be a blown front seal ,pan gasket,rear seal, of something along those lines.Also if you did not run it dry it could be still good or repairable.Im guessing a r and re would be 8 to 10 hours on"book time" which could go up to 800 to 1000 clams including shop costs.If this guy is a reputable bus seller,and sold you a hurtin bus,would you tell the rest of us so that this did not happen again? maybe this is the action you need to take to get that part of the deal straightened out? (hint).After all what have you got to lose now? Oh yea the potash mine is a true story all right i have been offered a job there just 2 weeks ago(sheet metal jman) the oil patch is slowing down but sask is the next boom province.Hows the weather Franklin? Stay in touch vanguy let us know what happens and what action you take and best of luck Timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Franklin
Wow this is the saddest thing I have heard in a bit. I got to say, I feel terrible for a lot of you guys down south. The whole situation is no good for us people without loads of money! But listen, up here in Saskatchewan Canada right now if you guys live in a skoolie you could move on up here for a bit and have all the work you want. I am not saying that Canada ain't feeling the crunch but, we have too much work up here. Actually there is a large Potash mining corporation just 20 minutes from here that is moving full ahead with a $2.7 Billion dollar expansion, they need labour skilled and un-skilled for the next 4-8 years. I build houses and do renos and I can't keep up.

So Vanguy67 if you do get that tranny fixed and want some work, why not consider us way up here, our beer is a little stronger and have you ever met a Canadian girl? What I probably shouldn't tell you is that the forecast for today is -54 Fahrenheit... a little below average....

where would one go to get legal? being from the warm south (10f today) and not canadian citizen?
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
I found a used transmission at a truck salvage place here in Nashville for $650. I would have to find someone to do the R&R. I'm just afraid to "throw good money after bad" as they say and I'm thinking I could be buying another bad transmission. The quotes I have gotten so far are in the $3,500 range with a warranty on the rebuild. Just don't have that much cash right now after spending all we had just buying the bus.

I FEAL FOR YOU ON THE CASH. I'VE GOT ABOUT $2,000 IN TO THE
BRAKES OF THE CAMO-MONSTER BECOUSE THE SHOES, DRUMS,
WHEEL CYCLINDERS AND MASTER CYCLINDER WERE SHOT
AND HAD TO BE REPLACED.
MOST OF THE WHEEL CYCLINDERS WERE FROSEN. THE MASTER
CYCLINDER AND LINES WERE DRY WHEN I GOT IT. I DID NOT KNOW
HOW MUCH THE PARTS WERE.

SO IF YOU CAN WORK ON CARS, LIKE SWOPING MOTORS AND TRANS
YOU CAN DO THIS IT'S JUST A BIGGER JOB. GET A TRANS JACK THAT
WILL REACH AT LEAST 30" AND DO IT ON A SLAB THAT IS FLAT.

CAMO-MONSTER

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Bus Nut

sorry about your luck, it sounds like mine, "if it wasen't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any", any how I got out of bed this morning so it's a good day.
with your mechanical background and a little advice/help you should be able to fix the trans yourself, find a local independant trans shop and make a new friend, to help you with information advice, parts and possibly some component repair.
start with
trans fluid not burned, clutch packs probably not sliping and fried
reverse still works, converter and front pump are working
take the tag info, model,serial numbers and build date? and get the specs for that trans.
performance/pressure test the trans
hope that it,s something simple like a broken spring or stuck valve in the valvebody that can be repaired without pulling the trans.

from your previous posts we probably know where you bought the bus, in all fairness it's not right to flame someone who sold you a used "as is" vehicle that later had a malfunction/failure and expect him to make repairs, he has spent a lifetime buying and selling used busses and is probably the most reputable used vehicle dealer that I have ever met or heard about, and in your own words he has spent time with you trying to help remedy your situation, be fair with your comments please.

good luck

welcome aboard
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
I bought the bus as-is. I'm an intelligent guy, I understand as-is. I just wish it would have made the trip all the way home (about 540 miles) after paying $4300 for it.
That's a lot of money for a bus that didn't even make it home...

Quote:
I'm not going to badmouth the guy. I DO wish he had offered a more equitable solution as he is a dealer and he knew my precarious financial and pending home loss situation intimately as we emailed back and forth several times about several buses before I went to get this one. I don't have the title in my hand yet and I want to get that before I say any names. Even so, the guy isn't a psychic. He may not have had a clue that the tranny was about to crap out. His years of experience and knowledge do lead me to question whether or not he knew SOMETHING wasn't 100% and sold it to me anyway. Either way, all I will say is I would NEVER buy another bus from him again. I could have bought the same bus with the same problem for a lot less money from a private person and wouldn't be any worse off. That's my take on THAT.
Warning others, so they don't end up in your situation is not bad mouthing.... Him posting that you had done something wrong, and this wouldn't have happened if he were driving the bus IS. Is he a bus dealer? Any chance he could get you another transmission? Seems if he sells a lot of buses he might have one laying around. I'd think he at least owes you that much.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
bbbrt76 said
where would one go to get legal? being from the warm south (10f today) and not canadian citizen?
Start here

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/pub..._id=64&lang=en
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Skoolie

Hey Vanguy, I just realized your bus is an international, as is mine and I was given shop manuals with my bus. Im headed to the farm today and will check to see if it covers the DT466 and Allison Tranny. My bus is the 7.3 Litre, (your tranny may not work but I am jealous of your engine!) so I am not sure if your drive train would be included as well. If so, I can photo copy and send you the necessary sections.

Does anyone know if my tranny would be the same as Vanguys? I have paid next to no attention the the transmission yet so I am fairly ignorant.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Stay the course vanguy67 you will roar again. My thoughts are with ya on this one. It sounds like you have found the routes you need. Use it up, wear it out make it do or do without. And yes, phizzy yellow beer is for wussies. Can't say the same for a finely crafted micro-brew. And I only mean the finely crafted sort. No offense intended to Lady Franklin I'm just joshin'. Lady franklin your ride is an inspiration. The support one can get from this site is as well.
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Bus Nut

if the trans started leaking and you knew about it and continued to drive it without fixing the leak, you need to take ownership of the damaged trans. It's like having a coolant hose blow and continueing to drive until the engine overheats and fails and then saying that the guy that sold you the bus is responsible for your decision not to make a timely repair.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Maybe it's just me......If I was a bus dealer with 30 years of experience and 3 locations, and a guy who was nearly homeless bought a bus from me with most of the money he had (and I knew it) I think I would try to find the poor sap a used MT643 for as little money as possible.....but that's just me.
Thats how I'd do it. Any reputable person would at least see what they could do along the lines of what you've asked.... instead of mouthing off about you to others. It's not the thousands of successful transactions that define a seller... it's how he handles the few that go wrong for whatever reason.

"As-Is" is a legal thing.... It might square you away with the law but it doesn't set aside any moral obligations you put upon yourself. As for me, I prefer doing business with people who are motivated to do right by their own morals, not just what they can get away with by law.

This being the case I'd hope that the seller does come through for you with a decent transmission at a fair price, in an attempt to make this right. If he doesn't, I'd like to know his name. After all, if it's fair for people to mention his name when they're happy with him it's also fair to mention his name when you're not happy.

-Ray
Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Bus Geek

don't be afraid to comb the junk yards (auto recycling centers) They used allison auto's in many applications from dump trucks to garbage trucks. don't feel you have to limit yourself to an auto trans either. There are prob way more heavy manual transmissions out there. Junk yard guy offered me a 13 speed eaton out of a big truck for like 200 bucks. A hydraulic clutch would be easy enough to mount.

also might not hurt to be able to recognize an allison mt643 from an at545. They are visually different, but i don't know which one is which. I think elliot posted photos of the two of them and their physical differences a while back.

Wonder what a ton of steel is going for these days? Prob less than $100/ton.

It might be a cheaper option to scrap this bus, and buy a new one for the price of a rebuilt trans. There are plenty of nice reliable buses out there for under $2K.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
Bus Geek

found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

I'm no expert, and this may not be all you need to know.
But here are photos of the two most common Allison automatic transmissions in
older school buses. The side mounting pads may be a good clue. On my buses
they were not used and easy to see.

Here we go:

AT545. Note simple mounting pad with two holes above each other near the front.
Nothing on oil pan.

MT643. Note complex mounting pad with four mounting holes.
Temperature sender on oil pan.

The MT643 is the one to have. It is stronger and the converter locks in 3rd and 4th.

(Edited with this additional info):

AT545 -- max 235 HP, 445 lb ft, 30.000 Lbs GVWR; no lockup, SAE 3 bolt pattern.

MT643 -- max 250 HP, 640 lb ft, 73.280 Lbs GVWR; locks in 3rd and 4th, SAE 2 bolt pattern.

More info here: http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/onhiway.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

google allison transmissions there is a site can't exactly remember but something like allisonman? find that site & ask him about your problem, or call an allison dealer near you, like somebody posted it could be something simple that may not cost as much as a complete re-build, sorry to hear of your problems
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Bus Geek

a vanguy, do you have a paypal account? I want to send ya a few bucks. I got myself in an expensive bind with my bus one time, and several people from the skoolie community helped me out. I have been looking for an opportunity to repay my gratitude.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Lady Franklin:
I know it's cold there....take a pencil (a pen won't work at -54 F) and write the info down.
That is info i HOPE never to NEED to know. it is 20 f here now and I was complaining about taking the dog out...at -54 he is on his own
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote