Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Tongue and Groove Wood Ceilings

I've seen many beautiful bus conversions on these boards that use tongue and groove wood on the ceilings. Does anyone know how they're commonly attached? Every bus I've found that has a ceiling like this has omitted the process. Most don't seem to have visible fasteners. One I can remember used furring strips soaked in a nearby creek, but it wasn't clear how those strips were secured to the ceiling.

I can only see two possibilities:

1) Just screwing into ceiling ribs.
It'll obviously work, though I don't think it would look quite as amazing as a ceiling without visible fasteners.

2) Construction adhesive.
I'm not sure this would work, but it seems plausible. There is only about an inch and change on each rib that would be holding on to the wood. Granted, most boards would span more than one rib, but it's still not much in the way of surface area.

Is there a method I'm missing? Other thoughts?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Tongue and Groove Wood Ceilings

I know how I will be doing mine... I will be using 1/4" luan to build a sub-ceiling, so to speak. This I can screw into, just gotta make sure I sink the heads, and it will serve to go around all the ribs, screw heads, etc... Then, my ceiling will attach to that. I may go with a cork ceiling, though, so I would just use adhesive to attach to the luan. If I was going with T&G pine, I would use the really thin stuff (5/16") and use construction adhesive and brads (just to hold as the adhesive cured). I would have the T&G going lengthwise, with the bus, so that would make things substantially easier.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Almost There

Definitely an appealing option, though I'm doing what I can to keep as much headroom as possible in the bus. I'll fight for even 1/4".
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Yeah, I understand... I'm 5'10", the tallest in my family, and have about 2+" of headroom, so not as much of an issue for me.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060

I can tell you I tried 1/4 lauan and I couldn't get it to bend the corners of the ceiling. I tried bead board brad nailed to strapping. And the brads wouldn't hold that. I have no ideas now since my last attempt failed miserably. 1/8 luan. It's basically wet paper. So keep me posted on some good ideas.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Almost There

I never really liked the aesthetics of the luan, and kept looking for other options. I wound up using thin wainscotting from Lowe's. It all came together quite nicely - you can see how we did over here in my build thread: http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...art=75#p580983

The individual boards were screwed to the ribs in addition to tongue in groove with each other. Some rows didn't even get screws because they are quite secure without them.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Check out my build see how I bent 1/4" plywood on the ceiling.

Tongue and groove installations that use nails will often hide the nails by putting them in on an angle into the tongue. Then thegroove piece hides tthe nail head. I'm not sure it'd work as well with sheet metal screws. Only one way to find out!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm exactly at this stage right now and I'm anxious to see what others have come up with. If I find a way, I'll definitely share.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
I'm exactly at this stage right now and I'm anxious to see what others have come up with. If I find a way, I'll definitely share.
Dusting-off the archives again, I see?

I feel like I'm almost at that stage, too, but other exterior stuff keeps popping-up.

Are you attaching directly to ribs, or have you been following the Engineers discus thermal transfer? I will probably use the bent plywood on the ribs to act as barrier.

I also will probably go T & G cedar on the roof, once all my cross-over wiring is in place. I do want to ask my lumber mill guy if he has anything with character first.

I need a few more weeks of warmth or more hands.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cat 7.2 C7 I6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 66 ankle biters
I almost hate to bring it up but I feel this suggestion may be a viable alternative to a wood ceiling. I plan to use vinyl that looks like wood. (I hope the purists don't throw eggs at my post.)

For those of us who may be looking to either find a cheaper alternative or to make installation easier I feel this is a good substitute. Some wood-like vinyl can look pretty nice.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
I almost hate to bring it up but I feel this suggestion may be a viable alternative to a wood ceiling. I plan to use vinyl that looks like wood.
It would definitely be easier to curve. You'd just have to make sure you had a smooth mounting surface to glue to it, or you could have sagging issues in the future.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
Traveling

Quote:
I almost hate to bring it up but I feel this suggestion may be a viable alternative to a wood ceiling. I plan to use vinyl that looks like wood. (I hope the purists don't throw eggs at my post.)

For those of us who may be looking to either find a cheaper alternative or to make installation easier I feel this is a good substitute. Some wood-like vinyl can look pretty nice.
Looks darn good....on the floor. It doesn't like to flex/curve, me thinks.
how are you getting it stuck up there?

On the positive side, If you roll your bus, you have a floor already.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Looks darn good....on the floor. It doesn't like to flex/curve, me thinks.
how are you getting it stuck up there?

On the positive side, If you roll your bus, you have a floor already.
On the contrary, vinyl is flexible. I would use whatever adhesive that was suggested. There are plenty of people who have done this already and it seems to be working for them.

As far as having a floor if my bus rolled, if you've seen my pictures you would already know what it looks like on its side so we're halfway there.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
Traveling

Quote:
On the contrary, vinyl is flexible. I would use whatever adhesive that was suggested. There are plenty of people who have done this already and it seems to be working for them.
I'm listening.

I haven't seen it done and getting near buying materials for my own ceiling. You'd just glue it to the ribs? Pin nails it to hold it while it sets?

Which vinyl ?, there are so many:

peel/stick planks
Click-fit planks
sheets linoleum like in mom's kitchen
Squares

Got any links??
Old 10-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm listening.

I haven't seen it done and getting near buying materials for my own ceiling. You'd just glue it to the ribs? Pin nails it to hold it while it sets?

Which vinyl ?, there are so many:

peel/stick planks
Click-fit planks
sheets linoleum like in mom's kitchen
Squares

Got any links??
Here are a couple Youtube videos that show how it's done. Apparently it needs adhesive applied first. In one video the guy uses a roller to press on it to make it a better seal. I can't vouch for how long this lasts though.

Here are the same people where they explain how they had problems first and how they were changing things to fix it.

If it were me, I would get application advice from the place where I bought the vinyl to make sure the particular vinyl would work on the ceiling.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #16
Traveling

Quote:
Here are a couple Youtube videos that show how it's done. Apparently it needs adhesive applied first. In one video the guy uses a roller to press on it to make it a better seal. I can't vouch for how long this lasts though.

If it were me, I would get application advice from the place where I bought the vinyl to make sure the particular vinyl would work on the ceiling.
That looks like serious messy work. You do realize that many of us are drinking while we work on these buses and would make a honkin sticky mess??

Maybe back-butter it first and slap-it up w/ drywall jack and board?

You would still need backer, luan would be good.

They have flat ceiling and are buses have inner curve, the vinyl won't like cupping like that if wide strips.

I'm still not totally out on the idea, yet I like quick and dirty.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
Traveling

Ok, Maybe we rethink the attachment system and I will be more sold.

I might have an idea....
Old 10-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That looks like serious messy work. You do realize that many of us are drinking while we work on these buses and would make a honkin sticky mess??

Maybe back-butter it first and slap-it up w/ drywall jack and board?

You would still need backer, luan would be good.

They have flat ceiling and are buses have inner curve, the vinyl won't like cupping like that if wide strips.

I'm still not totally out on the idea, yet I like quick and dirty.
Yeah, that looks kind of messy. I'm seeing some floor applications of vinyl wood that have adhesive backing but I'm not sure that would be enough for a ceiling application.

Let me do some more research and I'll report back. I think I'll also talk to my flooring guy to see what he has to say.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have not had good results with vinyl adhesives. Tried some on a small wall section using manufacturers' recommended (expensive & special) glue. Seemed OK for a week then began falling away. Wound up trashing it and having to replace the substrate. Hope those guys have better luck on their ceiling.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Vinyl usually goes down with contact adhesive. If you are using something like luan as a substrate, it is too porous. Put on a coat of contact adhesive, thinned down so that it is runny. Let it dry, then apply as normal.

Some vinyl will bend to shape, and some won't so be sure what you are buying.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote