Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #1

1988 International 66 Passanger Bus Purchase

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I just purchased a 1988 International 66 Passenger Bus with a Diesel motor and automatic transmission with 189000 miles owned by a church. Im going to pick it up tomorrow in Tennessee and bring it home to Indiana. I am so thankful I found this site. The incredible information and the people dedicated to keeping these buses alive and repurposed is amazing. The creativity that goes into these buses is really something.
Once I get it home I'll be able to supply some more information and pictures. My first challenge is I have never owned a diesel and know nothing about them. I have been assured this bus has been well taken care of and serviced regularly with service records. Big plus for me.
I want to build a bus I can use year around. My budget will not allow me to build a Rolls Royce just a nice Ford.
My question is I have a floor plan and after the demolition and insulation what is the next best order of things to consider. I just don't have a feel for the order of construction.
I would welcome and appreciate any information you could provide.
Best regards
Phil32

phil32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: 1988 International 66 Passanger Bus Purchase

Welcome friend.

You will find the best part about owning a diesel of that vintage (before electronic control) is the simplicity, long life, and far less parts than any gas engine.
It may be a mechanical DT360 or DT466, both really good, simple, wet sleeve engines.
After you get it home, take some pics and we will help you identify what engine it is.

Looking forward to pics and helping a fellow skoolie build their dream.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

Thanks Nat that would be so helpful
Best regards
Phil32
phil32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Finish the demo. Seats, windows, headliner, inner wall skin, ALL insulation, then floor right down to steel.

Finish all steel work (raise roof, move door, cover windows, ect, clean the floor steel, rust proof, make floor plan, rough in waste plumbing, insulate floor, lay subfloor, insulate walls, insulate ceiling, Frame walls, add fresh water plumbing, rough in cabinets, shower, toilet, start finishing walls, ect.

Climate and usage change the way and where things get installed. Things like battery location depend on climate, battery chemistry, and usage. Water tanks in warm climates get installed under the bus, cold climates inside the bus. Heating method also comes into play. IMO hot water radiant floor heating is superior in every way over forced hot air. 10 times more efficient at moving the heat, and 1/2 lines are much easier to route throughout the bus than a 4 inch forced air duct.

That is just a quick off the top of my head. I put the things in order the way the generally need to be done. Some circumstances may change the order of things.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Welcome, from another Hoosier.
Quote:
bring it home to Indiana.
Witch end?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1981
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77

Nat,
That there is an excellent and succinct list. I wish I had it when I did my work, but we basically did the same minus some elements. Now, nine years later, we are thinking of a total reno and putting everything we want in. So we'll come back to that list, especially as we've lived with our choices for a while. I'd definitely take the sheet metal off and insulate the whole bus!

Branden