Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
Little Intro & Question re: RE interior solution

I've been haunting this forum and reading ...reading...reading...reading! I love this place. I won't do a giant introduction...probably leave that for when we start our project thread! Short story is...
My husband, children & I are preparing to buy THE bus & begin our build. We have been looking at pretty much EVERY type of bus in existence...to see (as much as possible, without having it on hand) which bus would be the best fit for our needs. We have almost 100% arrived at Rear Engine Diesels with maximum length, luggage compartments and the newest year we can afford. We have been researching/planning this idea for the last 6-7 months. I have gotten a couple bus conversion books...The Shoestring and the Floor Plans books, by Ben Rosander. I have been scouring conversion blogs and Youtube, trying to glean as much information pre-build as possible.
It looks like we may have found the place from which and type of bus which we will purchase.

The main contender has become either a 1999/2000/2001 International/AmTran RE-D, with luggage compartments (definitely 2 on passenger side, possibly 1 or 2 on driver's side...that side is unknown at this point.) & 1 side door/emergency exit on the driver's side.

The layouts I have been designing are super preliminary, just ideas stuck in 3D rendering to get a feel for what might appeal to us. Totally NOT to scale, as we can't really do that until we actually have our bus in our possession to make the exact measurements. Since this is all sort of guess-timation, I have not included anything like wheel wells, emergency exits, etc. I will attach a screen shot of my most recent iteration of this ever evolving layout. Also, since we do not have THE bus, yet, I have not done a wiring or plumbing layout as of yet, either.

I also just did this layout with a blank rectangular bus shaped box interior. At this point I wasn't sure that we would end up with a RE bus, so I do not have that in the layout.

I am sure many of you more experienced converters will see glaring mistakes or misses, please comment as much as you would like. Constructive criticism is very much needed & appreciated!

Sorry for all that intro...now to my question!

As the bus we will probably end up with is a Rear Engine, there is this area in the back that I will need to figure out how to stick in my 3D program and decide what makes the best use of space in it. I was wondering if anyone else has converted one of these Int'l/AmTrans and how they used that space at the very back. I read somewhere...book or forum, that one idea is to put the bathroom back there. I've been searching with as many variations on key words as possible and combing through conversion threads to try to find anyone's photos that has done this, but I keep coming up empty handed.

Thank you for your help!
~Sarah & Royce
Attached Thumbnails
S4027055-700x0.JPG   Skoolie1.4.jpg   interior back of bus.jpg  

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Little Intro & Question re: RE interior solution

Welcome to the insanity.

Looks like you have done a lot of research. You will get many comments of what would be the best bus, but only you can decide that. I had looked at the International/AmTran RE-D but did not like how the engine came into the back with those air ducts along the side. Both Thomas and Bluebird do not have then, gives you more room above the engine. Also if you work on the bus yourself, it is harder because you get to the engine from the small side doors. Thomas and Bluebird has a large rear door, giving more room to work on it. But it is all person preference.

Your layout is a lot like mine, except I won’t have a dinette. That area will be my work desk.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! We are trying to be as prepared as possible...but I am sure we will come up against many more puzzles that will need solving!
I would really like an RE that does not have those air intakes up through the back. In our area it seems that these Int'l/AmTran buses are really popular. They keep cropping up for sale!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgwagner
Thanks! We are trying to be as prepared as possible...but I am sure we will come up against many more puzzles that will need solving!
I would really like an RE that does not have those air intakes up through the back. In our area it seems that these Int'l/AmTran buses are really popular. They keep cropping up for sale!
I was once told the best bus, is the one you have

My Conversion Thread:
Old 03-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I think that is an excellent outlook!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I discovered over my two week trip to Indiana during the holidays. RE buses are like big VW Vans, all that weight on the rear drive wheels work well in the snow.

My Conversion Thread: