Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Let's do this!

Hello everyone,
I've been reading your posts for a few months now and still cant believe the wealth of info this forum represents. Lots of carzy ideas and amazing projects. Feels just like home So after much deliberation, we are going ahead with our skoolie project. We are shopping for the bus right now and will hopefully have it home before summer to start the conversion. The plan is to take it, with my girlfriend and two boys, for it first 5 weeks trip from home (Quebec City, Canada) all the way to Vancouver Island in the summer of 2015.

So with that said, I would love to have some input on the type of vehicle to look for. I know this has been asked a hundre times on the forum but I thought I'd give you my "specifics".

About the only thing we know for sure is we are looking for a flat nose. That is mostly an aesthetic issue but what can I say, I do design for a living. We also consider belly cargo space a must. Otherwise, there is not much that is set in stone. We're thinking of a 72 passengers even though the idea of driving such a Big Bertha stresses my girlfriend out. I read somewhere that the difference between a 72 and a 54 in terms of "feel" is'nt that big. Is that right?

What I'm mostly worried about is getting the right mechanics and drivetrain. Considering we'll be doing mostly highway and getting across the Rockies and back a few times, is there something specific I should be on the lookout for? Can I simply tweak the ratio from any bus to be "highway efficient"? I'm really comfortable with the conversion part but a little (OK a lot) ignorant about all the mechanical stuff. So any cues that can help us make a sound choice in terms of the bus itself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys and cant wait to put some pics up.

jonnybgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Let's do this!

I saw a bunch of tc2000s around 1996 to 2002 for sale around Montreal. There front engine flat nose and the engine is 5.9 cummings, but they have the gas burning at545 transmission. There 4k to 8k. I can get you a link later. There all 72 passenger.
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Get on with it.

I'm on the main path to Vancouver as your passing through Alberta. Be sure to come visit.

P.S. Good luck finding a bus with little rust in liquid calcium country. All I have seen from there had severe cancer do to it being poured on the roads in winter.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

hello fellow Canadian, heres a link to Girardin autobus in Drummondville
http://www.girardinbluebird.com/content ... rique.aspx
they have new and used and all the parts you need
gbstewart
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Thanks GB_stewart, I did'nt have that one.
jmar896 I saw them as well. Cheers
Nat_ster, I'll sure keep you posted when we take-off for your side of the country.
Well, I was pusrsuing what seemed to be agreat lead but that just did'nt turn out to be any good.
So back to my original question. I know you can't list all engines and trannys combos here but any cues on what to look for. Best bets? Not being a big conaisseur, any hint would help.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybgood
Thanks GB_stewart, I did'nt have that one.
jmar896 I saw them as well. Cheers
Nat_ster, I'll sure keep you posted when we take-off for your side of the country.
Well, I was pusrsuing what seemed to be agreat lead but that just did'nt turn out to be any good.
So back to my original question. I know you can't list all engines and trannys combos here but any cues on what to look for. Best bets? Not being a big conaisseur, any hint would help.
5.9 and 8.3 Cummins and the DT360, and DT466. Best is the 8.3, next DT466 and the DT360 then the 5.9 Cummins. There is nothing wrong with the 5.9, it just the smallest of the good engines.

Don't buy a cat unless you like big maintenance and repair cost's.

AT545 is the least wanted of the auto Tran's. MT 643 is ok, it's a 4 speed with a lockup converter for better MPG. Best is the MD3060.

Eaton fullers are better than the spicer standard trans. Spicer's are made like the junk you find in a pickup truck. The eaton fullers are like the big rig trans.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #7

Cheers Nat,
Exactly the kind of info i was looking for.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

I have a DTA360 and Fuller manual. It's absolutely reliable. Allison autos from old buses are horrible from the MPG point of view. I have had this bus 8 years and get about 11-12mpg. Those old autos are going to eat your fuel.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster

AT545 is the least wanted of the auto Tran's. MT 643 is ok, it's a 4 speed with a lockup converter for better MPG. Best is the MD3060.

Nat
I have a Cat 3126 with a MD3060, do they cancle each other out?

I'm getting 10.5 MPG with my auto.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster

Nat
I have a Cat 3126 with a MD3060, do they cancle each other out?

I'm getting 10.5 MPG with my auto.
I think it does cancel each other out
I have t444e with a AT545, I guess ill just have to drive mine off a cliff
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Insure it heavily and jump
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote