Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #1

New and looking for a bit of advice

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the scene. My dad used to live in a van when and I've been fascinated by he idea since I was a kid. I'm now 36 and just recently started seriously considering the idea and I was hoping you guys could help me with a few tips.

So here is what I want to do. I would like to purchase a bus and convert it to live in. The goal is to not travel in it, but have it parked most of the time. I would prefer something I would convert myself. Any suggestions on what I should look out for or a good place to start ( besides this amazing forum would be really helpful. I would like to keep the entire budget between below 10000.00. Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions.

felineplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: New and looking for a bit of advice

If your not going to move it much, just find the right bus body wise. If you look for a specific engine and transmission it can make the price of the bus pretty high. The bus isnt even the most expensive part on a lot of builds. Wherever you are from, insulation is something that you will need, and that alone can cost over 2 grand easily. Are you looking for a short or long bus? Flatnose or conventional (dog nose)? Being parked most of the time, I am guessing you are going to have shore power most of the time, so you probably dont need a generator, that is a expensive item. Make sure to read a lot of build threads. For a bus, if you want one cheap, Craigslist, and goverment auctions (Publicsurplus.com, govdeals.com, ect) are good places to look.
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I plan on making it as self-sufficient as possible but able to be plugged into the grid if needed. Ive been looking into solar panels, a grey water system as well as different types of toilets and showers. Ive also been considering setting up a rain water collector. I have a few friends who have done it and it doesnt appear that hard to do.

I first started reading this form about 4 days ago and I have already learned so much simply reading the conversion projects threads. Its amazing seeing the progress and the work people have done. My car will be paid off in October and that will free up about 400 - 500 a month alone. So until then Im just going to research everything I can get my hands on.

Also, thanks for the links. I have checked SL and have sen some really inexpensive buses in my range. I havent seen the other links, and will look into them as soon as I finish my reply.

Thanks again for the tips.
felineplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Look at a steel shipping container as a base for a home
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote