Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Running heating vents along ceiling

In the process of doing my bus build I find I made a bit of a blunder in being able to run heat to the front of the bus.
Basically the furnace is aft of the fridge blocking ducting to the front. Running the ducting under the bus is possible but will be a pia to snake it around the fuel tank and inboard of the frame.
My thought is to run an overhead duct over the fridge, (there's room) and to a shallow channel (2x6) along the ceiling. Only needs to go 5 ft and will be run over the kitchen just outside of the factory ceiling lites. with small vents along the length.
Has anyone done this ? how does it work.

BTW just recently got insurance on it. National Insurance is the way to go. Great experience.

bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Running heating vents along ceiling

While it will probably work to get the heat near the front, remember that heat rises. If you don't run the duct back down to the floor it will just stay at the ceiling.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Running heating vents along ceiling

my heating ducts were certainly an afterthought and i wish i had considered them much sooner in my build.

for a while i considered an overhead duct. i settled on lifting one cabinet enough over the wheel well for the duct to pass through.

the path of the return air also will help distribute the heat. i was fortunate to run the return air from the front of the bus back to the heater through the existing bus wall.