Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20
Cutting/resizing bus glass

So from what I understand of bus glass, especially that used on later model buses, all windows are laminated for safety (in case of a roll-over say). If that's so, then this stuff can be removed, cut to a new size, and reused, yes? Anyone have any experience doing this?

Also I've read a couple of articles where people have made their own double-paned windows, it's a bit of work and must be done right (and under the right conditions) for it to be successful, but I believe it's in the ballpark of possibility (plus I really love re-using material whenever possible). So since my bus has got a bunch of really big windows, most of which are going to have to come out or be replaced with smaller ones, I'm thinking about giving it a try. At least see if I can make one double-paned regular size (uncut) one up front, and then try my hand at cutting this stuff, with extreme caution and wearing all the necessary protective equipment of course (safety first, always ;?). Any feedback or links to how it's done would be much appreciated, thanks!
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Cutting/resizing bus glass

On our bus.....
The front windshield is laminated glass.
All other glass is tempered (has a little logo etc etched into one corner).

You can not cut tempered glass. Tempered glass is first made to size then tempered. Cutting tempered glass on a wet saw was interesting to say the least. One second it was whole and the next it was a million pieces! I had read that you could cut tempered glass with a wet saw and I thought that was odd. So I tried it with an extra piece of bus glass. I think the person who said tempered meant laminated. But now I know for sure.

I used double glue chip glass from Hobby Lobby for the one window that we cut down (it is in the shower stall).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12

I have seen people cut laminated, safety, automotive, windshield, flat glass. But its pretty much a black art. If the glass has any curve to it, I don't think it would work at all. Basically they cut the front and back with standard glass cutter , then squirt lighter fluid on the cut and light it on fire, Wait a couple seconds for the lamination to soften so you can break the glass on the cuts and use razor blade to cut the lamination. To much heat= broken glass. Not enough heat = broken glass.
I have heard of people sand blasting curved glass but have never actually seen it done.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Leadsled,yeah I've read everything I can find on cutting laminated glass, seen a couple of vids too, so don't think it's beyond my skill-set, and as far as I can tell all those big windows are flat so that's good news too.

Lorna, as I said I'm pretty sure most late-model buses have laminated windows due to all the law-suits from people (or their kin) who sued over being ejected or maimed cuz tempered glass doesn't keep passengers inside in an accident. I may be wrong, but then I have also seen late-model buses with cracked passenger windows which of course means they're laminated glass (tempered would've just shattered leaving an empty window frame ;?). And yeah, trying to cut tempered glass can be an exciting experience, especially right when it suddenly turns from a solid sheet into a million little bits, lol.

So does anyone have the straight poop on bus window (not windshield) construction?
;?D

PS - I don't shop at Hobby Lobby anymore.

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I do, just not on Sundays... which I normally work anyway!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:

Really, why is that?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

Really, why is that?
It involved their insurance not covering a certain type of birth control.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
Quote:

Really, why is that?
It involved their insurance not covering a certain type of birth control.
I wanted to hear it from him. I wanted to hear his specific reason.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.
Don't get your panties in bunch.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

That's exactly why, but most right-wingers, like yourself, wouldn't understand the fundamental principle that is being violated by the courts decision to allow such a travesty, and sadly that's the funny part because all you flag-waving patriots who beat your chests and claim to love America so much, don't have a clue about what our bill of rights really stands for. True freedom means certain rights are not decided on by the majority, that's part of what "inalienable" means - we don't get to vote on whether or not everyone has the right to vote, we don't get to choose whether people of different races want to marry (and the same should apply to sexual preference, we're just slow learners sometimes) and we don't get to mandate a state religion. And neither should courts be allowed to infringe upon these rights, no matter what the justification.

The United States is NOT a christian nation, we are simple a nation with a majority of its citizens who are christians, but also MANY millions who are jews, muslims, hindus, budhists, bahais, atheists and more, and TRUE FREEDOM OF RELIGION, means exactly that, that no single religion has the right to dictate or impose ONE SINGLE IOTA of their belief system on the rest of us. THAT is absolutely necessary to protect the rights of everyone, not just the minority because any law that allows one group to oppress another sets a legal precedent which can always allow the reverse to happen.

And that is exactly the problem with that absolute piece of **** decision by the Supreme Court to allow a company like Hobby Lobby to infringe on the freedom of choice of it's employees based solely on their own moral/religious beliefs. You can try to parse it, or minimize it all you want but the absolute facts are that this decision allows NOT just Hobby Lobby, but any other company doing business in the U.S. to make similar decisions and place who knows what limitations on their employees choices simply because they can claim it's against their religious or moral beliefs. That is fact as many legal scholars have come to state, because you can't then limit what a religious or moral belief is. In other words, there's no way to JUST allow Christian values to be the basis of such decisions, because of our very belief in freedom of religion, this right must apply across the board to any and ALL religions.

So that means if the company you work for is purchased tomorrow by say, a Saudi Arabian conglomerate, and their board of directors are absolute devout fundamentalist Muslims who believe in Sharia law, then they are empowered by the very same legal precedent to make decisions about YOUR health care based solely on their particular beliefs, and you will be powerless to do anything about it, well except quit and go look for another job.

THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU FAIL TO UNDERSTAND, IT'S NOT ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL OR ABORTION OR ANY OF THAT CRAP, IT'S ABOUT YOUR RIGHT TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR HEALTHCARE WITHOUT ANY INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER BY YOUR EMPLOYER!!! COMPANIES SHOULD NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE DECISIONS WHICH ARE STRICTLY BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DOCTOR, AND ESPECIALLY NOT BASED UPON ANY RELIGIOUS OR MORAL BELIEF SYSTEM, CHRISTIAN OR OTHERWISE.
Is that clear enough for you?
;?D

Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Can't decide if you're yelling at me or Cal.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
Bus Geek

The birth control thing is easily solved. ONLY individuals get the insurance. Employers should not be providing insurance. Think about it. You quit or get fired and you lose your insurance until you get in with another employer. That's dumb. If you provide your own insurance, then you can work, quit, move across country, etc and still have the same non-interrupted insurance. And since we have the "individual mandate" shoved up our tuches, then why are people complaining about the employers providing insurance? Seems redundant. I don't think employers should be providing insurance in anyway shape of form. But what do I know? I'm just one of those despised right-wing people who think the government needs to get the hell out of our personal business and only do what they were supposed to do. Which is to oversee (not rule) the interactions of the various states and to provide military protection of the country ("provide for the common defense"). I'm one of those silly people who think we have far too many laws and no law should be passed without striking an outdated law off the books. That should be at every level.

As far as Hobby Lobby goes, they did not say they objected to ALL of the birth control measures. Just the ones they call abortion pills, like the so called "morning after" pill (which the women could get from the drug store anyway without a prescription if the are 18 or older). That is what they object to offering via insurance. The typical birth control pill (like the old Ortho-novum, etc) and other types of birth control are not what they object to. Personally I think the issue of birth control needs to be clarified. Why can a woman get an abortion up to (or past if some folks get their way) 20 weeks and that's okay because it isn't a baby but a fetus. Yet the same woman can be driving to the abortion clinic, get in a wreck, lose the same fetus that she was going to abort and the poor schlub who hit her is up on manslaughter charges for the same fetus the woman was going to abort. I don't think the law should be able to have it both ways. Either a fetus isn't a baby and therefore okay to kill or it is a baby and an abortion is murder.

I paid for my own birth control for the whole 7 years I was on it. No insurance paid for it. The government didn't pay for it. I did.

BTW, thanks for the "clueless " comment. I will have to remember that.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's exactly why, but most right-wingers, like yourself, wouldn't understand the fundamental principle that is being violated by the courts decision to allow such a travesty, and sadly that's the funny part because all you flag-waving patriots who beat your chests and claim to love America so much, don't have a clue about what our bill of rights really stands for. True freedom means certain rights are not decided on by the majority, that's part of what "inalienable" means - we don't get to vote on whether or not everyone has the right to vote, we don't get to choose whether people of different races want to marry (and the same should apply to sexual preference, we're just slow learners sometimes) and we don't get to mandate a state religion. And neither should courts be allowed to infringe upon these rights, no matter what the justification.

The United States is NOT a christian nation, we are simple a nation with a majority of its citizens who are christians, but also MANY millions who are jews, muslims, hindus, budhists, bahais, atheists and more, and TRUE FREEDOM OF RELIGION, means exactly that, that no single religion has the right to dictate or impose ONE SINGLE IOTA of their belief system on the rest of us. THAT is absolutely necessary to protect the rights of everyone, not just the minority because any law that allows one group to oppress another sets a legal precedent which can always allow the reverse to happen.

And that is exactly the problem with that absolute piece of **** decision by the Supreme Court to allow a company like Hobby Lobby to infringe on the freedom of choice of it's employees based solely on their own moral/religious beliefs. You can try to parse it, or minimize it all you want but the absolute facts are that this decision allows NOT just Hobby Lobby, but any other company doing business in the U.S. to make similar decisions and place who knows what limitations on their employees choices simply because they can claim it's against their religious or moral beliefs. That is fact as many legal scholars have come to state, because you can't then limit what a religious or moral belief is. In other words, there's no way to JUST allow Christian values to be the basis of such decisions, because of our very belief in freedom of religion, this right must apply across the board to any and ALL religions.

So that means if the company you work for is purchased tomorrow by say, a Saudi Arabian conglomerate, and their board of directors are absolute devout fundamentalist Muslims who believe in Sharia law, then they are empowered by the very same legal precedent to make decisions about YOUR health care based solely on their particular beliefs, and you will be powerless to do anything about it, well except quit and go look for another job.

THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU FAIL TO UNDERSTAND, IT'S NOT ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL OR ABORTION OR ANY OF THAT CRAP, IT'S ABOUT YOUR RIGHT TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR HEALTHCARE WITHOUT ANY INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER BY YOUR EMPLOYER!!! COMPANIES SHOULD NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE DECISIONS WHICH ARE STRICTLY BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DOCTOR, AND ESPECIALLY NOT BASED UPON ANY RELIGIOUS OR MORAL BELIEF SYSTEM, CHRISTIAN OR OTHERWISE.
Is that clear enough for you?
;?D
NO ITS NOT

Obunghole is the person that started this goat roping of a health care crap, and sorry to tell you this:

My company...my rules,,,,if you dont like my companies insurance I AM PROVIDING for your free loading azz....leave the company get your own damn insurance or mooch off all the hard working people in america by getting your subsidized ACA insurance ....clear enough????

We are a great nation that is losing our rights due to a certain religion being shoved down our frikin throats, by a bunch of spinless "I want anything and everything given to me" group of people that want nothing but unicorns and rainbows,,,,w/o the luggage that goes with it

There is no way to please all the people all the time.....someone will always go home crying

those people? that religion? MUSLIMS

the pig sign offends us take it down .....F^%$# you

the praying at table discount, offends us.....F&^%$ you

We need extra "payed" breaks at work so we can pray......F&^%$ you

How come one religion can stomp on our rights?

Is it becauce we have a muslim as our dear leader????or is he a muslim golf pro?

DONT GET YOUR PANTIES TWISTED I am only using my 1st amendment rights

edited to hilight some stuff
Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
Bus Geek

also had to add this

A certain 2A supporting, christian based fast food chain isnt open on sundays so it's employees can go to church....I love me some of that hate chicken

matter of fact I will get some today

Hate on beotches

My business....my rules......all are covered by his (CEO) 1st amendment rights

should this not be allowed????????????
Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I agree with what Lorna said.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
That could be considered seditious!

FIY: se·di·tion
noun \si-?di-sh?n\
: the crime of saying, writing, or doing something that encourages people to disobey their government
: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
That could be considered seditious!

FIY: se·di·tion
noun \si-?di-sh?n\
: the crime of saying, writing, or doing something that encourages people to disobey their government
: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
after martial law...there is no .gov

so fire up the BBQ and break out the good stuff....

oops what were we taliking about?

Lorna ya'll be safe down south near the border for real....
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
That could be considered seditious
Hope so
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
... Lorna ya'll be safe down south near the border for real....
Contrary to the references you see on TV and in movies, we are pretty far from the border. But one day Das Mel & I needed to go to the Sam's Club in Las Cruces (intersection of I-10 & I-25). On the way back on I-25, north of I-10, we had to go thru a border checkpoint! Now this was a good 20 miles north of Las Cruces and PAST the I-10 connection. How stupid is that. Then the fool asks us.... "are you US citizens?".... I looked at my freckle-faced-paler-than-pale daughter and she's looks at similarly complexioned me (we freckle, we don't tan... much). I looked at the man and said in my thickest Southern drawl (which I only reserve for speaking to family and certain people)... "Yes Sir, we are citizens of the United States" (please note I did not say "these here U-Nited States" but it was temping). Das Mel compliments him on his beautiful dog, of which I'm pretty sure he didn't understand 99% of what she said (but she was looking and pointing at the dog, so he did figure out what she was talking about). And we giggled about it for miles! Then we got a bit pissed. A border check point that far in the US and they never once asked for ID. Oddly enough, there are no "border" check points between Roswell and Pecos, TX.
Closed Thread