Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466 Allison
Rated Cap: 84
Update:Roof Raise Progress Page 2

Montage of Roof raise progress in the link below!

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hpho ... 6148_n.mp4

Edit://

Floor Plans ideas. Please ask questions and tell me what you like of all the plans! I plan on having a murphy sized queen bed in the back that folds into a dining room table as well. I then plan to have a bathroom as plan 1 shows but will need a short staircase/platform over the wheel well to the left. Immediately will begin the L shaped kitchen as shown on Plan 3. The other side with the stairs will have an L shaped kitchen in the opposite direction with built in stools. We plan to have a couch/bunk beds from Resource Furniture and over the two wheel wells in the front, a hanging clothes closet and they other will consist of vinyl and turntables/work desk with a mounted television screen/computer monitor.

Alexlorraine01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Floor plans B4 Roof-raise on Monday! Let me know thought

very cool floor plan and hardware.

i looked at similar stuff for my bus but the roof height and cost were always an issues. if i recall, that sofa/bed needed like 84"? of flat wall?, thats 2' i didnt have. good luck! will be watching!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Regarding your floor plans..... did you lay them out on the floor with duct tape first? What works on paper doesn't always work in the space it was intended to work.

Your bed will be a pita to make up and change the sheets on. And you have no closet space for clothing. This is a weekender right?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf
very cool floor plan and hardware.

i looked at similar stuff for my bus but the roof height and cost were always an issues. if i recall, that sofa/bed needed like 84"? of flat wall?, thats 2' i didnt have. good luck! will be watching!

http://resourcefurniture.com/product/palazzo/

If we do decide to go with the bunk beds/sofa couch we would use this one. When the bunks are set in place the bottom bunk bed comes out 52 inches including the ladder. The bunks height will be 54 inches and our roof will be raised up to 86 inches. We may reconsider a pull out sofa bed instead... I just love the idea of the transforming bunk beds!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Regarding your floor plans..... did you lay them out on the floor with duct tape first? What works on paper doesn't always work in the space it was intended to work.

Your bed will be a pita to make up and change the sheets on. And you have no closet space for clothing. This is a weekender right?

Nope! This will be our home! We will have drawers for some clothes beneath the murphy bed. There will be a space for the drawers, and then the murphy bed will be set into place. We planned on having our hanging clothes closet in the front over the wheel well behind the passenger seat for shoes, dresses, jackets, etc. It is such a hard decision with the living room set up and the bathroom! The bunk beds are a major factor because not enough companies build them!

We are looking at this one.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexlorraine01
Quote:

Nope! This will be our home! We will have drawers for some clothes beneath the murphy bed. There will be a space for the drawers, and then the murphy bed will be set into place. We planned on having our hanging clothes closet in the front over the wheel well behind the passenger seat for shoes, dresses, jackets, etc. It is such a hard decision with the living room set up and the bathroom! The bunk beds are a major factor because not enough companies build them!

We are looking at this one.
Also we have been working on a designer, everything is to scale on our written plans.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm a former Kitchen & Bath Designer. Had my own cabinet shop too. I suggest you tape out your floor plan in the bus and then walk it for a few days. Make sure you don't step on a wall or cabinet. Pretend to take a shower and use the bathroom. I see you have an all-n-! bathroom/shower. Those are not fun. We lived with one for 4 years. Never again. Do you really want to walk thru the salon to get your clothes? It's easier to change duct tape than it is to move a wall.

Your floor plans look more like a weekender than a fulltimer.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm a former Kitchen & Bath Designer. Had my own cabinet shop too. I suggest you tape out your floor plan in the bus and then walk it for a few days. Make sure you don't step on a wall or cabinet. Pretend to take a shower and use the bathroom. I see you have an all-n-! bathroom/shower. Those are not fun. We lived with one for 4 years. Never again. Do you really want to walk thru the salon to get your clothes? It's easier to change duct tape than it is to move a wall.

Your floor plans look more like a weekender than a fulltimer.

This is the finalized floor plan above. Everything is scale to our bus and we will have a small staircase/platform leading into the bathroom and in the bedroom. The bedroom will all be on a small platform so that we can step down into an all wet bathroom. We plan to only have a shower and a toilet in the bathroom and somehow enclose the shower a little like this picture, or use a circular shaped curtain rod instead.

We would have a moss mat to absorb the water as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Ya ain't gonna be happy with that all-in-one, mate. I have one. I hate it. Only good thing about it when I'm sick and got, uh, stuff coming out both ends.

TMI. Sorry.

I do like the sliding shower head, though. I'm a shortass (I'm friggin' WEE) and was looking into getting one of those for the Camper. And, uh, 'scuse me while I hug the moss mat. I miss moss. *Snugs*

Of all your plans, I like number 2 best. The bunkbeds can be converted to an office at a later date when you're no longer entertaining/rearing kids and would be good for extra storage.

I have a massively weird floorplan in the works, if I can get it to pass my Architect's specs (and she's not happy with some of my ideas shhhhhhhhh oh hi, mum, didn't see ya there. ). I have no intentions of entertaining people (Sis and her Fiance can go sleep in a hotel, they'll be happier that way, I swear it and they need to stay AWAY from my art supplies! NO TOUCHING! That's WET! I don't care it looks dry that's still wet!).

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Ya ain't gonna be happy with that all-in-one, mate. I have one. I hate it. Only good thing about it when I'm sick and got, uh, stuff coming out both ends.

TMI. Sorry.

I do like the sliding shower head, though. I'm a shortass (I'm friggin' WEE) and was looking into getting one of those for the Camper. And, uh, 'scuse me while I hug the moss mat. I miss moss. *Snugs*

Of all your plans, I like number 2 best. The bunkbeds can be converted to an office at a later date when you're no longer entertaining/rearing kids and would be good for extra storage.

I have a massively weird floorplan in the works, if I can get it to pass my Architect's specs (and she's not happy with some of my ideas shhhhhhhhh oh hi, mum, didn't see ya there. ). I have no intentions of entertaining people (Sis and her Fiance can go sleep in a hotel, they'll be happier that way, I swear it and they need to stay AWAY from my art supplies! NO TOUCHING! That's WET! I don't care it looks dry that's still wet!).

Lol! What a response that was!! I loved it! I thought about that too because I get a lot of stomach aches so it'll be nice to lay down on the shower floor! We are fairly young, I'm 22 and my boyfriend's 29. We plan on traveling to festivals and vending food out of us bus and working on farms in the meantime. In the future we could always remove the bunk beds in the living room and design a new plan there. I also don't plan on living in my bus my entire life, just a few years until I decide what's next in life!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
We plan on traveling to festivals and vending food out of us bus
Been there, done that, I shoulda made a t-shirt....

Lorna up there is my Mum, ask her what all's involved in building a kitchen to spec for use in the food service industry (hey, I just helped build the dang thing, she's the one that designed and planned everything out). Plan it out to TEXAS standards, they're the hardest to pass inspection in the industry and if you're going to build a commercial kitchen you might as well build it right. Food vending is hard work, like running a regular restaurant with the added 'fun' of having to break everything back down and pack it all back up again and move it. Depending on what you'll be cooking you can run anywhere from a 30 minute set-up-break-down time to a 4 hour or more set-up and break down.

And most health inspectors do NOT like a community kitchen (commercial AND residential use).

And it's nice not to be the youngest on the board anymore. *Dances*

Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
... vending food out of us bus ...
I doubt it. You are NOT allowed to "share" a commercial kitchen with a home kitchen.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
I doubt it. You are NOT allowed to "share" a commercial kitchen with a home kitchen.
Told'ja so.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Told'ja so.
There are always ways around the system ;)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

TMI. Sorry.

Do you have pictures of your bus?!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
In that case I ain't buying ANY food you vend. Sorry, mate, but with my fragile gut flora I just can't take that risk.

Quote:
No, I don't have a bus yet. Can't buy one until I head back East (I'm STUCK in New Mexico. GET ME OUTTA HERE!). I'll probably get it from Alto. Or a Florida school district. I have all kinds of plans drawn up, though. Most of it based on a mix of Gypsy Vardo and South Carolina Seaside decor with little touches of the Caribbean.

And the infamous pontoons. Can't forget those.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
In that case I ain't buying ANY food you vend. Sorry, mate, but with my fragile gut flora I just can't take that risk.

Quote:
No, I don't have a bus yet. Can't buy one until I head back East (I'm STUCK in New Mexico. GET ME OUTTA HERE!). I'll probably get it from Alto. Or a Florida school district. I have all kinds of plans drawn up, though. Most of it based on a mix of Gypsy Vardo and South Carolina Seaside decor with little touches of the Caribbean.

And the infamous pontoons. Can't forget those.
That's okay. Hope it all works out for you and I'm curious to see your plans!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Bus Nut

No worries, Lorraine, there will plenty of pictures when I get around to starting my own build thread.

Because we just love pictures. Love them. Lots. Seriously. It's like we have a hard on for pictures. Of buses.

Even the FBI thinks we're nutters.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
No there are not. You have never vended food have you? Before you can vend food, your kitchen/food trailer/food tent must pass a Health Dept Inspection. You have to be able to pass an inspection at any time they decide to inspect. Some places require that you have a commissary (cheap one is $300 per month and run up to $600 per month last I checked). You try to pay off Health Dept inspector and they will shut you down. Festivals are even stricter than street vending. You fail an inspection at a festival, the festival/event will not refund your money. You don't show up at a festival/event, you forfeit your money. In some states, you must have a food mangers license (mine is from TX). Not free either. Then there is the insurance. It's a special policy that you get from specialty insurance outfits, not State Farm type places. Some states (like TX) require you be insured. some festivals/events require that you be insured even when you are in a state that does not require you to be insured. You will need to be permitted (and inspected) for each state. For festivals, you can get a temporary short-term permit. Festivals aren't cheap. To figure out how much you can spend to get into a festival, you have to figure out how much food you can REALISTICALLY sling in one hour. Then you figure out how much profit you make off your food. Then you multiply the profit per hours until you hit the amount of time it will take for you to clear your festival costs (permits, festival setup fee, electrician if you need, supplies for the entire festival, gas to/from event, overnight stay fee... often a nearby campground, sales taxes that you have to collect and remit to each state, monies paid to helper because you can't work a long festival with one person or sometimes two). After all that, then you start figuring your profit.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Resta...Forum-f44.aspx this forum is sorta divided into two sections, but not really. The street food vendors post in both forums. The one for hot dog vendors isn't just hot dog vendors. Before you ask any questions, try reading... a lot.

BTW, we vended food from 2009 - 2012 in NC, GA, TX & NM (twice). We vended M-F on the street plus worked festivals, auctions and set up at the pit of a racetrack (that was a long day). We could and have passed surprise health inspections at anytime that we were open. We had a mobile kitchen. It was tough to get approved when we did. It's gotten harder and more expensive in most states. There are still a few states that are pretty loose about regs. Most states will fine you up the butt if you do not comply, either deliberately or accidentally. If you are inclined to vend on the side of the road, be aware that some states (like GA) do not allow you to vend food within the road right-of-way. Which can be a pretty long ways off the road.

You CAN use the kitchen in your bus IF you have a separate kitchen that is only used for food prep AND closed off from the rest of your bus with it's own separate entrance door (to the outside not to the indie of your living quarters). And then there is the ventilation and materials used in the construction of the commercial kitchen. Many Health Depts (HDs) require that you only use commercial appliances. Food Regulations tend to be interpreted differently by different HD's in the same state. Cross state lines and it gets really different.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #20

my 40' GMC.

sunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote