Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

New!

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I've been recently looking into converting a school bus into an rv. Now I think I have the skills and resources (other than a bus) to complete what I want but maybe what I want isn't possible. I just want some input from veteran skoolie builders on how I should go about my idea. So here it is. My first idea is taking a long bus 70+ passenger and placing another bus shell on top. Using the first buses roof as a second floor. Why? Well if I use this as a motor home which I plan, I don't want to go to walmart in a bus or try and get McDonald's-_- therefore I want to store my car with ramps in the back. Now my question is 1. Will a bus hold the weight of a car and the essential to make it a home. 2. Should I do a short bus and make a strictly bunk/sleeping area up top? Or 3. If I get a second full length bus to place on top will the roof hold the weight of possibly appliances or maybe just the living room essentials? These are my questions for now and if I have more I'll be sure to post them. A little on me, I'm 17 live in ga and ship to bootcamp for the USMC in October and plan to do This project with my soon I be born son. Thanks for your help. Btw If anyone knows where to buy busses other than eBay lmk. Again thanks!

CruisinCamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: New!

Wade's Garage in Alto, GA.

Check out the legal heights. There are lots of low clearance places in the East.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCamaro21
My first idea is taking a long bus 70+ passenger and placing another bus shell on top. Using the first buses roof as a second floor.
Oh, ya want a doubledecker. Those are hard to find in the US, mate. Mostly on account'a ya can't hardly get them under the bridges on the highways and byways. Not without losing the top floor, at any rate. Ya can drive through most of ATL but get outta the city and the bridges and overpasses are lower.

It SOUNDS like ya want something akin to a Toyhauler. There's a thread around here someplace that someone's building their Jeep into the back of their bus. Sounds pretty shiny to me but I couldn't do it (I have more art supplies than my Jeep weighs, actually).

Oh, dude, what WOULD be cool is if you get'cher a bus and then stick a pop-up type upper on top, kinda like the Westfalia class Bs.That way ya get'cher sleeping quarters and still stay relatively under the height limits. Check out google images, I've seen one out there in the Interweb someplace. I think it was based outta Cali.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCamaro21
My first idea is taking a long bus 70+ passenger and placing another bus shell on top. Using the first buses roof as a second floor.
Oh, ya want a doubledecker. Those are hard to find in the US, mate. Mostly on account'a ya can't hardly get them under the bridges on the highways and byways. Not without losing the top floor, at any rate. Ya can drive through most of ATL but get outta the city and the bridges and overpasses are lower.

It SOUNDS like ya want something akin to a Toyhauler. There's a thread around here someplace that someone's building their Jeep into the back of their bus. Sounds pretty shiny to me but I couldn't do it (I have more art supplies than my Jeep weighs, actually).

Oh, dude, what WOULD be cool is if you get'cher a bus and then stick a pop-up type upper on top, kinda like the Westfalia class Bs.That way ya get'cher sleeping quarters and still stay relatively under the height limits. Check out google images, I've seen one out there in the Interweb someplace. I think it was based outta Cali.
I'll have to check those out, thanks! Anyone else got some input?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
r_w
Skoolie

School buses are built to hold their own weight, equivalent of a full roll cage. Holding the weight is not a problem for the shell--tires and springs may be another matter.

Overall height is definitely a problem. I like the pop up mounted on the roof if done right, it would be a PITA to set up and take down if done wrong.

Raising the existing roof is the normal method because it is cheap and (relatively) easy. And light.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
School buses are built to hold their own weight, equivalent of a full roll cage. Holding the weight is not a problem for the shell--tires and springs may be another matter.

Overall height is definitely a problem. I like the pop up mounted on the roof if done right, it would be a PITA to set up and take down if done wrong.

Raising the existing roof is the normal method because it is cheap and (relatively) easy. And light.
I've actually found a family with a bus that has a pop up camper on top to save height while traveling which will most likly be te method I choose. You can find it if you google the scholls bus. But with the weight thing do you know if I could just upgrade the suspension and tires/wheels for the weight? Or would it just be easier to tow the car?
Old 09-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Just do a roof raise and stick a vw or a pop up on top for the kids to sleep in when parked. If you don't care about the car "toad" it, if you do get an enclosed trailer so you can bring all your toys along. Watch your overall length however. 40' bus and a 24' enclosed trailer=alot of length to try to move around.
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote