Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Vandura
Engine: 3500
weight distribution during conversion

Hey all! I've been visiting this site for the past several months as I convert my shortest of the short buses (1990 GMC Vandura 3500). Thanks all for the great wealth of information! After months of lurking, I've finally run across a conversion question that I haven't been able to answer though searches.

I designed Bessie's build with an even weight distribution in mind, but I'm converting the bus in stages and inadvertently designed it so that the weighted portions of the right side of the bus won't be completed until much later down the road when I install the water holding tanks and fridge. There's a 300-400lb discrepancy between the two sides of the bus and it will be that way for several months to a year. Do I need to be concerned about this amount of weight, or is it a nominal difference? Thanks!

SkoolieSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: weight distribution during conversion

I wouldn't worry, that is only 2 people? no biggy
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry, that is only 2 people? no biggy
Those were my thoughts, exactly.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Do pay attention to the front-to-rear balance as well as right-to-left. While most Skoolie conversion interiors probably weigh less than a high school football team, you will note that the carrying capacity of a dually rear axle is more than that of the steer axle. You want to have the weight properly distributed, and not all up front or on one tire.

Small planes (and large?) usually have a fixed starting point including installed equipment. The fuel, passengers and baggage for each flight can be added to that at each "station," and calculated so the plane flies neither overloaded, nose-heavy nor tail-heavy. A fixed starting point for a Skoolie who cares could be having the bus weight at each wheel measured after the seats are out, and then adjusting for each item added to the build.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote