Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Generator Exhaust Routing?

Question: Can the generator exhaust be connected to the main engine exhaust and work without causing any issues? More specifically, if the generator is run while the bus engine is running will the larger bus exhaust flow cause any issue with the generator or it's exhaust flow? Seems like it would be much easier and safer to connect the generator exhaust to the bus exhaust to use the same common exhaust outlet.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Generator Exhaust Routing?

You probably will have back pressure problems with the bus and genny running and without a doubt you will be feeding bus exhaust back through the genny if the bus is running and genny is off. I had the same idea and went with two exhaust systems. There are a couple of other considerations such as sizing the genny exhaust pipe to maintain just enough flow resistance to keep the genny exhaust pulses tightly packed and therefore quieter. Funny how nothing is ever simple!?!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

That's what I was wondering about...pressures, venturi effect from the larger bus exhaust flow, etc. Good info, thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

If you were to angle the genny exhaust at a 45 deg angle facing towards the exit wouldn't the pulses from the Bus exhaust help pull the genny exhaust? I can see if you tied in at a 90 deg you might pressurise the genny but the 90 deg should be ok
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

I am not an engineer. However, I have never seen a Class A motor home with generator exhaust hooked up to the main engine exhaust. There has to be a very good reason. Too many unintended consequences could come from this.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote