Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Eliptical mirrors questions

My International Bluebird 2002 has twin elliptical mirrors in the front. Two questions
1) Why is there a wire going into the mirror? (a heater?) You don't seem to be able to get into back of mirror to disconnect.
2) Do you leave them on or take them off?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Re: Eliptical mirrors questions

1) It is undoubtedly a heated mirror. That wire provides 12v for the elements. Knocks ice, snow build up off and helps keep condensation away. I wish the mirrors in my car had this feature..
2) Convex mirrors are AWESOME! With a bit of experience I'm sure you will learn to love them. They essentially eliminate all blind spots, except for the rear of the bus.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

2. This is a personal choice.

Personally, I love rear-view mirrors. I use 6 of them all the time on cars, SUVs and vans. First is the normal one looking out the back, the next four are flat plus convex looking down the left and right sides, showing the distant traffic, the outside lane, plus the rear tire position when backing. The sixth mirror is either an added mirror or the passenger's visor mirror looking out one of the right side windows to see if anyone is in my blind spot. I've developed my position scan using all of these for many years.

BUT - then there are the convex mirrors required for buses in school service, so drivers can see down to the road in front of the bumpers so as to not accidentally run over daydreaming toddlers. I think all the brackets and tubes make the front of the bus look like a jungle gym. I prefer the clean truck-like look of a bus nose without them.

Also, during the first gas crisis of the 1970s, Car and Driver did an aerodynamics test on a full-sized van, to try to get a few more MPG when pushing a shoebox through the air. They tried smoothing plates under the chassis, an air duct front-to-back over the roof, and a wing or spoiler to fill the vacuum behind the vehicle. The only modification that actually produced a noticeable decrease in drag and increase in MPG was to take the outside mirrors off. While removing side-view mirrors that were once an option in no longer legal, that test has stuck in my mind for four decades.

Removing the convex mirror and its supports wont help mileage much, but it won't hurt it either.

So, though I cannot recommend it for anyone else, my personal choice would be to clean up the front end by removing the mirrors and brackets, and pay attention to what is in front of me, as any truck driver would (or should).
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I love the convex mirrors, I don't use the left one all that much, but the one on the right I use all the time. I can see every inch of that side of the bus and two lanes over, all in one glance. As an added bonus, you can see if the headlights are on, if the turn signals are working, you can see the bumper to see if you can really make that swing without backing.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
BUT - then there are the convex mirrors required for buses in school service, so drivers can see down to the road in front of the bumpers so as to not accidentally run over daydreaming toddlers. I think all the brackets and tubes make the front of the bus look like a jungle gym. I prefer the clean truck-like look of a bus nose without them.
Yes, it is a personal preference. I, for one, get quite a bit of use out of that front mirror. It's helpful for pulling up real tight into marked parking spaces, or up to buildings. It's a spatial awareness that will develop over time anyway, but I still like it. I frequently find myself in tight spaces with the shorty. Also, good for making sure my baby dogs aren't playing up front as I move forward
Old 11-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74

I took the crossover mirrors off my bird. Not so much for the looks but, due to the fact that she would not fit all the way inside my building with them on.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote