Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Hammock instead of beds?

Every time I've tried to sleep in a hammock I am up after about 2 hours....... makes for a long night.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I wounder what it would be like sleeping in a hammock while the bus is moving Rock youself to sleep? or slamming into the walls!
I think I will stay with our double bed . my back would be to sore for a hammock
gbstewart
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #3

I'm shopping for a bus and plan on installing hammocks on the inside!!

I switched to hammock only style camping last year because it's way more comfortable, faster, and more compact than setting up a tent for the night (at least it is to me). You might want to take a gander over at http://www.hammockforums.net/ In order to sleep comfortably in a hammock for more than two hours you have to either sleep diagonally across so you don't end up sagging in the middle, or make sure the hammock is super tight. You'll also need a groundpad to sleep on because you'll lose a lot of heat through the thin hammock material. I use the ENO doublenest hammock.

I installed a roofdeck on my buddies bus last summer and it was super strong. We were able to get 30+ people on the roof and there wasn't any issues. You'll have no problem regarding weight as long as your using a school bus. There are steel reinforcement bars in the roof spaced every two feet to keep the bus from collapsing in the event of a roll over (kids are precious cargo). If you drill through these and add hook/bolt/anchor point, you'll be just fine. You'll need a minimum of 10 feet of space to hang up an ENO style hammock in the tight configuration.
elmostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
my back would be to sore for a hammock
Then you're doing it wrong. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostan
I switched to hammock only style camping last year because it's way more comfortable, faster, and more compact than setting up a tent for the night (at least it is to me). You might want to take a gander over at http://www.hammockforums.net/ In order to sleep comfortably in a hammock for more than two hours you have to either sleep diagonally across so you don't end up sagging in the middle, or make sure the hammock is super tight. You'll also need a groundpad to sleep on because you'll lose a lot of heat through the thin hammock material. I use the ENO doublenest hammock.
HammockForums ain't what it used to be, but yeah there is some fantastic information over there. A super tight hammock is just a PITA waiting to happen. As any reader on HammockForums knows, your webbing/string/whoopies/whatever should be at a 30° angle to the ground. This results in the least amount of drop (how far the hammock will drop when you load it) and the most consistently repeatable hang. Thirty degrees is just a benchmark, but it's a great place to start. The majority of hammocks are built to sleep on the diagonal, so there is no sense in fighting it. ENOs are most definitely more comfortable for long periods when on the diagonal. As you know, laying diagonally causes the fabric to 'lift' and provides a very nice and comfy near-flat resting position. Always giggle a little when I hear folks talk about "banana hangs". Too much time in the backyard with the obnoxious American versions of hammocks. Canvas and spreader bars are the things of my nightmares. ENOs are also the smallest in width and length of any of the parachute style hammocks. When it comes to comfort, length is King! Ground pads are good enough, but if you seek comfort, then an underquilt is where it's at. No comparison from my perspective; just none.

I would look to the larger hammocks, like Brazilians, Mayans, and Nicaraguans. These are what we use at home for full-time sleeping. They are huge, but hang in about the same linear space as any of the others due to them being shaped like a big "U" when hung. At home, our hammocks are mounted about 7' high and the mounts are just a touch over 12' apart. In a bus, I'd imagine you'd want to hang lengthwise anyway, but if going sideways you'll need to hang the hammock on a diagonal. Nylon hammocks in the woods and cotton hammocks at home. The cotton is more comfortable, warmer, and just as easy to wash.

Our bus will most certainly be a hammock-sleeping bus. The most obvious reason is the space savings of being able to tuck them away when not in use.

Quote:
I wounder what it would be like sleeping in a hammock while the bus is moving Rock youself to sleep? or slamming into the walls!
Nah, if it's really bad then a couple of robust bungie cords attached to each side of the hammock will calm the swaying. Sleep in a hammock at sea and you'll understand the bliss of using a hammock on a rocking and rolling transport.
Quote:
I think I will stay with our double bed . my back would be to sore for a hammock
I know it doesn't make sense, but I switched to hammocks specifically because of a bad back. It used to go out annually for at least a week. I could set my calendar to it. Since 2007, my back has gone out once. Also, my knees don't yell at me every time I stand. Beyond anything else, I'd sleep in my hammock just for pain relief and prevention.

And in case anybody is wondering, yes we both live up to our marital obligations just fine in hammocks. In fact, it's a new skill to learn and new skills always require lots and lots of practice. Just makes it a "win" right across the board IMO.