Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1968
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super coach
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 79
1968 Crown Supercoach for sale in Illinois

1968 Crown Supercoach for sale in Illinois. It was purchased by the Federal way school district in Washington state in 1968 and had the Cummis diesel engine rebuilt. It was the sold to McChord Air Force for the on base school kids and has 64,000 miles on it. It was sold to the person I bought from and it sat for 9 years in a warehouse in central Washington state and never ran. I bought it and had a diesel mechanic give it a inspection and a check up and I drove home to northern Illinois. That Cummins diesel purred the whole way home no problems, like a new engine. There is very little rust and has a 5 speed manual transmission with air brakes. I'm asking $8000 for it. You will not find a better Crown east of the Mississippi river for that price. I looked at others buses for 5 months and with the price of the bus and shipping it here would have cost me around 10 to 12 grand. I found this bus and got a sweet deal on it for the condition it is in. I'm gonna break even on it because of airfare, hotels, fuel etc. to get back to Illinois. I checked with the DMV and there is 1 other Crown in the state of Illinois. It is on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
crown bus.jpg  

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: 1968 Crown Supercoach for sale in Illinois

Wow. Drooling over here.

Do you have some contact information you can post for the people that browse this section of the forums but are not members with the ability to pm?

Also, who has a money tree I can harvest so I can buy this beauty? Anyone, anyone? Best of luck selling this... you are going to make someone VERY happy.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, she is a beauty. My name is Brian call me at 630-306-7625. I live west of Aurora. I am a 3rd shifter, so after 7am to about 9am or 4pm to 10 pm.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Let me give you my story of the bus:

I picked up my 1968 Crown in central Washington state Nov 25 and my son and I started our trip. Got a late start to drive it back to the Chicago burbs. Well I got to know my bus fast, the plates were not current and it was a Monday and the DMV was closed, fuel guage don't work, speedometer was not acurate and only went 60 MPH becuase it has a govenor set for 2200 RPM. That made me miss Thanksgiving with my family and got home Friday morning. I drove back with expired plates and would play dumb if pulled over. I also found out the hard way it wasn't a 100 gallon fuel tank and since the fuel guage didn't work I had to gauge it by milage. Well, on Thanksgiving night at 11 pm, outside Des Moines, and 11 degrees outside, I ran out of diesel. 20 gallons of fuel, deliveried on a holiday...it cost me $303 bucks. The transmission is geared for the mountains of the west coast states and meant I ran throught the gears quickly and got up to 60MPH or should I say 2200 RPMs slowly.

Drove for 24 hours on Thanksgiving. I wish I knew how to adjust the govenor. I had to stop at I 80 truck stop, the worlds largest, at 2 am. Worth it. Since I got on I80 in Salt Lake City and saw that sign, I80 forever. So in a Clark Griswold moment from the movie Vacation at 4 am, decided to take a keepsake from our trip. I pulled over and ran over a large I80 sign next to the road and snap it off at the base. I got out and hearing coyotes behind me, took my cheap Wal-mart pliers, took the 3 bolts out and took the sign. Of course hide sight told me that was dumb but I laugh to look back at my state of mind that early morning of driving 22 hours.

A headlight went out and the stores don't stock old seal beam headlights so I couldn't change it. I drove with my brights on from mid Iowa back. So I am 1 town away from mine and a cop turns around and follows me. So, here is an old school bus, that looks very odd since Crowns were exclusivly used on the west coast, driving early morning after Thanksgiving, with the high-beams on, blinding the county cop, expired plates with a '06 sticker on Washington plates. I think, "great! after 2200 miles I'm gonna get pulled over with 4 miles from home". I see the business where I'm gonna park at and the light turns red. The cop has the plates right in front of him, high up the back of the bus at eye level. It turns green and I pull into the lot and he drives by slowly. The good lord was with me. So I stand up and open the door and get a big blast of cold air and have to pee NOW. So I did what any guy would do, I went right there in the doorway. Well, the cop had turned around drove by with with me hangin in the breeze, stopped and then kept going. The bus was turned off, the wife picked us up, went home and slept for 6 hours, woke up and made the whole Thanksgiving meal myself and spent the day with the family.

In the words of Jerry Garcia, "what a long strange trip it's been".
Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78

I noticed that this bus has been sold. Well that according to Bargain Bus. I'd really appreciate it, if you would confirm that. And as well this site states or implies that the sales price was 19K..........I for one would really appreciate it if you would disclose what the real purchase price was, and how the listing selling scheme works for that cite 'Bargain Buses".......if you don't want to discuss this openly on the forum I would very much appreciate a private PM..........thank you......Mokibra
Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I saw that post too back in August of last year. I didn't ask the owner why it was on that site. I don't know why it is still up there. That post is very old. I sent an e-mail and told them to take it down. When I saw that site and they wanted 19K for it, I thought they were crazy.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Always been very curious about that site, and honestly suspicious.....then I'[m just naturally suspiciously suspicious. LOL..........So that's been up there long before you bought the Crown.?

Very cool Crown by the way, and it was interesting that it has the 335HP Cummins which I believe is a small cam. But it was cool looking at the photo's..........looks to be a very interesting Crown. I wish you luck......Mok..........thanks for the message as well.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I tried to fine your coach today.............on that bargainbus site it seems to have vanished.......lol...........I'd like to have as many photo's of that bus as you can provide me, mileage, transmission, photo's of the engine compartment and the cockpit and dash..........and if all systems on this Coach are in order..........and you can contact me off site.........I believe you have my information.............Mokibrabrant
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
crown backdoor.jpg   Crown3.jpg   Crown4.jpg  
Old 03-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Hi ;) where are the pictures of this bus? Is it still for sale? If yes pls call me at 7739087703. I'm Alma. Thanks
IamDream8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Coakes69 has not been active on the board for 3 1/2 years.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDream8 View Post
Hi ;) where are the pictures of this bus? Is it still for sale? If yes pls call me at 7739087703. I'm Alma. Thanks
Alma, the post is four years old.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote