Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Washington state

I am bidding on a Thomas in Washington and can't get up there to inspect before close. Is anyone in the tumwater area. The have video of them running so it's not the engine I need an undercarriage rust inspector. It would have to be arranged for and done by or on the first. Contact me on a price for a check out or let me know your favorite restaurant I'll send a gift card for a good steak. This is one of those 50 bucks could either let me know to spend or save me from a 20 hour train ride and a nightmare.

facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #2

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CV2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Washington state

I live in WA and have bought a couple busses here before. I have never seen any with a lot of rust, so I would not be worried about that. We don't use salt on our roads during winter (it hardly ever even snows on the westside). I wish the GA office/yard was open on Sunday so I could stop by for you and take a look at them, I saw they had 2 Thomas buses and a Carpenter... Good luck

Dream ~ Discover ~ Share ~ Inspire

My bus build thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467602
Follow my adventure: https://www.facebook.com/followalmanzo
My photography site: https://www.boriskoetenphotography.com
Almanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78

Thomas West Coast ER One of the best buses Thomas ever made, they also made one with 3 axles...........looks like a pretty solid Bus and I wouldn't expect the bidding to go to high, with the mileage...............Let's put it this way: I have bought 4 vehicles from those folks all from washington state.........they've always been excellent: I would also use the ask questions feature with regard any and all of your concerns............they'll give you the straight scoop..........I can tell, by doing my forensics that that will be a Sound Bus.

I recently bought this out of Washington........and it's spectacular..........Cummins L10 270HP with a Zf Ecomat HP590 transmission, a true five speed with overdrive with 95K actual miles..........spectacular buy.............
Attached Thumbnails
orion2.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the response. They have pictures of the bottom and it looks coated. No rust and video of the motor running. I am probably going to try to get one of the thomas busses. Washington not using salt is a big relief. that kills vehicles bus, or car. The scary part is getting it back. I am looking at a train ride up and driving it 755 miles back.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh2901
Thanks for the response. They have pictures of the bottom and it looks coated. No rust and video of the motor running. I am probably going to try to get one of the thomas busses. Washington not using salt is a big relief. that kills vehicles bus, or car. The scary part is getting it back. I am looking at a train ride up and driving it 755 miles back.
That's no biggy as long as it runs well, you learn your bus that way. I drove up in Maine with SWMBO, and drove my bus back down to NJ, in the space of 24 hours. And that was after it was ferried by the bus company from New Foundland

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I am going to bid. The only real question is transport. I do not have a commercial license so, do I send up a bored school bus driver on amtrak from Craigslist, or do it myself and pray for 755 miles of no cops. It's that catch 22 we all deal with it's not a registered rev till it's actually a registered rv. I started bidding on us hip and dam that's expensive.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

That should be taken care of by either a "move" permit or by a "one way trip" permit............I've had great success transporting buses............block out the crossing lights and the school bus signs, likely will be done to the bus prior to arrival.......My only concerns as with most schoolies, is they have typically a fairly high axle ration.......4.44 or 5.54 and of course the final drive ratio of the transmission is 1:1..........and the Cat, though it can be likely revved even if governed to 3000 is not a good place for that engine to be.............I personally would like to keep the engine around 2700 RPM max. The reason being that one of the sureway of premature wear or even bearing failure on these engines, or throwing a rod or sucking a valve is over revving them: Nice that it's the 3208Turbo........so you should be at 250HP......and nice that it is one of the the sturdiest Thomas ever built, the west coaster...........This would be extremely desireable if it had one of the Allison World transmission 5 or 6 speeds with overdrive. Some people are on the fence with very high mileage vehicles and there are a couple of ways to look at it:

It's either been well maintained, driven correctly, and is proven and reliable............or it's on it's way out and exceeded its lifespan and doesn't have many miles left without expensive repairs...........I look at this bus in the light of the former. A couple questons I would ask.....all instruments working, governed speed at what RPM........maintenance records available.........how long since in service and any info with regard inframe or out of frame overhaul or engine replacement........ant that HP the transmission is pretty much bullet proof.........however should you get it, I would invest in a laser heat gun, and after your first 80 miles or so, pull over, check heat temps at the hubs and spindles, as well as the radiator and each cylinder of the engine............see how that squares with temp readings at the instrument pane........I'd also ask if it has air ride: That becomes another consideration, or system to fail. though not expensive to repair, it can let you down through a failed modulator or bellows itself...............ask a lot of questions, get the answers............it's always risk reward at these auctions........I feel pretty good about this bus: Not much of a CAT guy, but this at least as the turbo.........and there are guys out there, who can dial these up a bit............
Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

If I were looking at any of that group of buses...........I believe I would go the Carpenter over the drive train............Only edge I see going to the Thomas is the fact that it has some basement storage...........always nice to have: However the Carpenter by far has the better engine, and 94 was a great year for the 8.3 truly that mill and that build is a million mile engine, Also the instrument set up is more thorough and user friendly...........and lastly you will realize better fuel efficiency with the Cummins...............
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Skoolie

I am going for the carpenter, so if you go for it there is going to be a bidding war
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I am leaning towards one of the thomas built The under storage is nice. The instrument cluster is not a big deal, I may rebuild any how in order to mount a backup camera and or a nav system. Moki I will look at a move permit thats a great idea. I was going to amtrak it up rent a car to do pickup and drive the thing down. Its looking like I might be able to fly into Seattle for the same cost so It will just be logistics, if I win at auction. I hate to admit it but I am going to have to risk it on the engine life. Its coming direct from the school district which normally means better maintaining and less abuse than with a contracting company. I am going to hedge bets and get that magic oil stuff to dump in with the fuel.

If I win and wind up there the star bucks is on me if anyone wants to talk projects.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

ant that HP the transmission is pretty much bullet proof.........however should you get it, I would invest in a laser heat gun, and after your first 80 miles or so, pull over, check heat temps at the hubs and spindles, as well as the radiator and each cylinder of the engine............see how that squares with temp readings at the instrument pane......

Hah already got a laser gun now there is a use for it besides making sure cooking surfaces are ready for use.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Postby jmar896 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:49 pm
I am going for the carpenter, so if you go for it there is going to be a bidding war

Now Now Now............you don't want to throw down the gauntlet. You know how obstinate and mean I can be........ Now if it said Carpenter/Crown I might be tempted. Not only will I not bid on it. But I won't even drive the price up on you, say to tax you for some comments you may or may not have made. Wish you nothing but luck and hope it's everything you want it to be...........Good Vibes.......When does it end again.............I may be in Washington picking up my Orion.............nah Yakima is way east..........you're in luck
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Here's another one of the Coaches I won in Washington........C8.3L Cummins Turbo mated to the the Allison World B400 5 speed overdrive, 30ft in length.........Made it 300 miles to Gresham, without adding fuel, averaged 15 mpg....at 70 mph..........This is just a classic little palindrome I mean Gillig.....when it's all said and done, when the flxibles and the Crowns and the Orions have all gone away..........this one will likely stay. This is a fun solid, quick little Coach.........it's a classic. 19 years old. Washington is the sleeper Market for Coaches, and it seems, since each county has it's own particular tax rate, they each have the money to take care of their Buses. Moki
Attached Thumbnails
gillig2.jpg   gillig7.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant

Now Now Now............you don't want to throw down the gauntlet. You know how obstinate and mean I can be........ Now if it said Carpenter/Crown I might be tempted. Not only will I not bid on it. But I won't even drive the price up on you, say to tax you for some comments you may or may not have made. Wish you nothing but luck and hope it's everything you want it to be...........Good Vibes.......When does it end again.............I may be in Washington picking up my Orion.............nah Yakima is way east..........you're in luck
Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
Skoolie

mjh2901, did you win the one you wanted?

I'm out on the carpenter since with a plane ticket to Washington, fuel back to MA and I'm sure the bidding will be over 2 grand that's too much
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Out bid I was ending at 2 grand. I want to watch more auctions see what the rate is. I think I want to wait for exactly what I want rather than settle. I want 40 ft rear engine with cargo boxes. I prefer cummings deisel for parts and eas of repair. No that I see there is a steady stream on some of these sites I think I can wait, and bank cash until the right one pops up.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Go with a Cummins or International engine if possible, and try to avoid the 3208 Cat if at all possible. If it is near the end of it's life, it is not rebuild friendly
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote