Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: 28 die as bus touches high-voltage wire

I don't understand. I thought that if a power line came down and you were still in the car, you were OK until the power was shut off. Is that wrong?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I don't understand. I thought that if a power line came down and you were still in the car, you were OK until the power was shut off. Is that wrong?
That is the best advice. Electricity travels on the surface of conductors, so the metal passenger compartment acts as a "Faraday Cage" to pass any electrical current around the passengers. Edit: That is also why you stay in a car during a thunderstorm, rather than get outside.

Rubber tires are only insulators at low voltages. Rubber is full of carbon, and carbon is a conductor, but not a good one like steel or copper. When a high-voltage line falls on a vehicle, I have heard of cases where the tires blow out from the current passing through them. The Faraday Cage can still protect the occupants until the power is shut off, as long as they do not freak out and try to exit the cage.

I don't know what happened in India. Perhaps the passengers had their arms out the windows, and touched the broken wires or the bus skin. The others might have been packed shoulder-to-shoulder, or tried to rescue the others and were shocked by the contact.

Rule number one is: Do not try to rescue someone who is actively being electrocuted until the power is cut off.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

AHA! CNN Reporting: . . . As passengers began stepping down while holding the steel railings, the current passed to the ground to cause a jolting electric shock in the bus, Khare said.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

So it took 28 people to teach the 29th that getting off was a bad idea.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

*holds a sign* here's yar sign
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
women/goats/chickens/etc go up on the roof.
Where they belong!

Quote:
So it took 28 people to teach the 29th that getting off was a bad idea.
I wrote that? I crack myself up sometimes. I kind of a witty guy.

You Gotta Let Me Fly