Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Year: 1992
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: brazilian ford 6.6 turbo
Rated Cap: 72
ford 6.6

has anyone converted a brazilian 6.6 to run on svo?

jvdl333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: ford 6.6

Sure have, and Jason (lapeer20m) has as well. I'd be happy to let you know whatever I can along the way if you have questions.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

that new holland Brazilian motor LOVES wvo!

She purrs quietly (well a lot quieter than she does on diesel) on wvo. In the summer i would start and shut her down on veggie and she'd start every time as long as it was above about 50 degrees.

the motor itself suffers from a serious lack of hp, especially in a full size bus with an at545, but she pulls like a freight train all day and all night. Just like the energizer bunny she keeps going and going and going. Had almost 300K on mine when i got rid of it.

She's super easy to prime after you run out of fuel too...and believe me, if you experiment with wvo you'll run out of fuel (or at least the engine will think you did)
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

When you're ready to convert I can help you figure out which lines to cut and which ones not to. I learned through trial and error which I would not recommend to anyone.

As for the leaky line...boy...I don't know what's down there. I don't have any lines running down to the tranny other than the tranny cooler. You aren't, by chance, getting antifreeze into the tranny cooler lines are you? Pull the tranny dipstick and find out. That's something that's better to find out sooner than later!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Bus Geek

i don't know how close to the trans the lines run, but my 6.6 had an engine coolant filter that obviously had lines running to it. It was accessed underneath and looked just like an oil filter.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #6

thanx skoolies for the info.I have all the parts & ready to put the system together.I would like to have an idea of your system diagrams. The most important thing at this time is involving the use of the lift pump in the layout.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

It is too dark today, but I will go out tomorrow and show you where I tapped my feed and return lines in. The feed is easy, but the return is a bit more artsy. My system is currently disconnected, but you will see all the fittings.

Just to get you started...the lift pump is internally part of the injector pump. I tied my feed line in just with a tee at the pipe thread fittings going into the water separator. The return is hacked into the return line coming out of the injector pump. It is the rearmost metal line that comes out of the top of the pump. Pictures to follow...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #8

thanx again skoolies. I'm new to skoolies .I have a lot of mileage on b100 on cars. Any and all info would be welcome. jvdt@vianet.ca I'm just north of sault st. marie MI.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Bus Geek

just north eh? you in the soo canada, or further north yet?

I could sit and watch boats go up/down on the locks all day long.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Ok, it is hard to see in my pictures, but here it goes.

This is the supply line. It tees into the water separator with one valve going to the diesel tank and the other coming from the veggie heat exchanger on the firewall.

In this I'm trying to get a picture of the return line. It is a metal line coming up and out at about a 45* angle on the back of the pump behind where the Bosch tag is. I cut it and have a piece of rubber line coming up that goes to a tee and some valves. One returns to the veggie tank, the other to the diesel tank. You can see the black hose and the clamps in the picture, but you can't REALLY ID location. There was just too much crap in the way and I apologize, but that should give you an idea.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #11

thanx for the pics. I live in searchmont ont. 50 klix N.E of the SOO ont.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Bus Geek

I returned your PM, but it occurs to me that the only pictures I have are the ones I posted. That should get you in the ballpark though.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Bus Geek

that is correct, the lift pump is built into the injector pump. You can feed fuel to the lift pump however....
You do not want to force feed fuel/wvo at high pressure to the lift pump. In a perfect world, you will have your wvo tanks inside the bus which makes them higher than the injection pump and wvo will gravity feed to the lift pump. No aux pump needed.

I also like to route my return line back to the tank. If a return line wasn't needed, then manufacturers wouldn't bother installing them in the first place.

manual valves can be used, but it doesn't cost much more money to buy an electric valve that will switch between two tanks. Think 1990's ford pickup's with dual tanks.

I also route my wvo through the stock fuel filters after it has passed through it's own filter.

Carry spare fuel filters, and kitty litter.

put an aux fuel pump into the diesel fuel line that you can turn on when you run out of wvo. Allows the bus to prime it'self and usually doesn't even require opening the hood even if the engine stalls due to fuel starvation. Alternatively, you can use a primer like the one that is used in marine outboard applications. I install one of these on every diesel vehicle i own. Makes starting the engine after running out of fuel a snap! If you run wvo, you will eventually starve your engine for fuel.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Bus Geek

i believe it is a diaphragm lift pump.

I haven't looked closely at an injection pump in a long time, but it may be possible to tap into the fuel circuit between the lift pump and the injector pump. If memory serves, the fuel enters the lift pump then is pushed through the filters and back to the injector pump....but i could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

I've been running veggie oil for almost 4 years now all in a 7.3 idi I used an adjustable pressure veggie oil specific pump to move the oil from the holding tank through the heat exchanger and two heated racor filters into the fuel lines. I just built out my new 92 6.6 bluebird now I'm curious what pressure I should have my pump set at to send fuel to the Bosch injection pump
Knomadicknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvdl333 View Post
thanx for the pics. I live in searchmont ont. 50 klix N.E of the SOO ont.
Welcome to skoolie.net, neighbour! I'm eastward in Echo Bay.. Well currently I'm stuck in Massey with a broken down car and a snow storm, but I'm usually in Echo Bay.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Guys, this thread was over 5 years old, not sure I'd be expecting a reply......

It'd be best to start a new thread with your question.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote