Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Rally
Rated Cap: 10
Should I go for it?

Hi, so I have some questions: wondering if it is worth my time to convert my 1995 GMC shortbus, 6.5 diesel engine, to svo/wvo. I have heard that there can be issues with converting this kind of vehicle due to problems with the injection pump. Has anyone converted a GMC diesel vehicle, 1982-2000? Do you happen to know if it will cause any problems that wouldn't come up if I leave it unconverted? Should I go for it? I will be driving a significant distance at least once or twice a year, and it would be great to run it on veggie, but now I am unsure if I should. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

taran_tella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Should I go for it?

Although the 6.5 isn't the perfect engine for running on veg-it can be done. But the realization of actually making veg make sense is tougher than just geting you motor to run on the stuff.
The questions I bring up to people wanting to do veg:
Do you have a steady source for oil?
Do you have a place to process + store oil? Somewhere that can (oh and trust me WILL) get messy?
Do you have the skills to do the conversion-and the ability to troubleshoot + fix the system if it fails-even if you are out on the road?
For your long trip-how many miles are you going/how much fuel can you hold/ do you have any source on the way/when you get there? Say you got a 40 gal tank and get 10mpg-so you are 400 miles from home when you run out-now what do you do?
How much do you plan on spending on the kit? And all the stuff to process oil? Is this a long term commitment?
Its alot of work to get to the point where its worthwhile to convert-just make sure you think things thru all the way.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote