Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Conversion of T444E Turbo Engine

Hello,

I have had a 1995 Thomas International with a T444e for a couple years, with the increase in fuel prices, I am planning to convert to veggie oil. I plan to run wvo. I just bought a 100 gal tank, from a big rig, which i will mount underneath in the rear. The tank is cylindrical with 24" diameter and 60" long. I am thinking of wrapping it in copper pipes which will run engine coolant. This will not bring it to necessary temperature but should keep it at least warm and flowing. Write again, if you are still watching this website.

MMS.

Verbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne/Lifeguard
Engine: 345 c.i. International
Send a message via Yahoo to SkoolieDude

Quick answer to your first question: NO

There is absolutely no difference, in terms of your fuel system, between a turbo and non-turbo.

1985 22' Wayne/lifeguard body, IHC chassis, 345ci, 4 speed
1985 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3l I-4 turbo diesel, 5 speed
1975 Mercedes 240D, I-4 non turbo diesel, 4 speed
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, I-5
...And counting...
SkoolieDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

how about the "E"........
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Almost There

My understanding of the T444E is that it is basically a Powerstroke with some exceptions. For your conversion, I believe they would be the same. I did some research a while back on conversion and found out that the Powerstroke has a huge filter that can hold fuel for up to 20 minutes. Therefore, if you converted it normally, you would need to switch back to diesel about 20 minutes before you reach your destination. Many of the kits available bypass this to allow switch-over in just a few minutes. But...they are expensive. Anyone with a greater knowledge of the T444E can jump in and correct me, but I belive this would hold true for the T444E.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Skoolie

If it's similar to a Powerstroke then it is a good motor to run on WVO. The fuel bowl is large but I haven't heard of it taking 20 mins to purge. A bypass isn't a bad idea anyway though. Just make sure you put a temp sensor on your fuel so you know what temp the veg is getting to the motor at. A benefit of the large bowl on the top of the motor is that it transfers a lot of heat to your fuel before the injectors.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #6

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 66

i am planning the same conversion this spring. having a tank built to fit the left side, with internal heating coil, in-line heated fuel lines, heated filter, second heat exchanger mounted on the frame. The heat exchanger i was looking at was one designed for cooling hydraulic systems. i am planning on using 2 3-way valves, so i can change over the supply, then after a certain time, change over the return to avoid any excess tank contamination.
the only thing that i have not found yet is a lift pump for the WVO. any suggestions would be great
millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?

i converted my bus's t444E last year around this time to wvo. I had to go to a truck service place to get a factory manual in order to figure out the fuel path (the things got 2 filters, a big lift pump, and is electronically injected!). If im remembering correctly, i think the fuel comes from the diesel tank up through the 1st fuel filter, then into the lift pump, through the 2nd canister filter (which has a small overflow valve which feeds back to the return line constantly), then back through the lift pump and into the engine! The lift pump has a low pressure and high pressure side, its kinda technical. Ive been meaning to scan and post those fuel diagrams cause they'd be pretty useful for folks.
I had to do some re-plumbing of the stock fuel set up so i could just feed either veggie or diesel into the lift pump with out worrying about that 2nd filter and its weird overflow deal (for a while i had it purging all my diesel into my veggie tank while i ran on wvo!). So lets see, think i have an electric 5-7psi fuel pump at the veggie tank then put the fuel selecting solenoid after the 2nd diesel filter, before the high pressure side of the lift pump. Whew.... Im gonna try to get a before and after diagram up here to illustrate this confusing scenario. That will be in a few weeks though, cause im away from my little home at the moment.
Oh, since these engines have fuel rails that run under the head, this sufficiently heats the oil before it reaches the injectors. I dont think electric heat is necessary, Ive just got hose in hose up to the coolant wrapped filter, then it goes through a 30 plate flat plate heat exchanger and into the lift pump. With a focus on insulating every inch of fuel line up to the solenoid, this is enough to keep the oil hot and flowing, even in the winter on slow, windy roads.
If anyone has any questions you should feel free to write.
-ben
Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #8

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 66

Ben,
good post. pics would be great. what did you use for the WVO tank? i am thinking of getting one made, and putting it under the drivers side. likely go with a 120 gal. thinking of getting a heating coil added to the tank as well.
millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Ditto. I've got a T444E that I've been wanting to deal with for WVO and haven't had the time.

Sounds like the manuals are definately the way to go, what with that odd return ...

Thanks!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

If you use an auxillary electric fuel pump, I suggest you mount it within 12 inches of the tank, and make sure it is gravity-fed. Otherwise, it will probably burn out.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?

ok, im back home (in my bus) and will try to get a scan of those fuel diagrams asap.
my fuel tank is a 62 gallon aluminum marine tank, its actually shaped like the bottom of a boat. Its kind of shallow and long, not ideal, but i got it for pretty cheap off ebay. Had to have a black smith, welder friend fabricate a cage to bolt it beneath the bus. I plan on installing a 2nd "dirty " tank which will be heated, so i can pump right from the grease pit into the dirty tank, then slowly pass it through a series of water separating filters into the 62 gallon clean tank while i drive. As it is now i need to be stationary to filter my oil, then try to carry as much clean stuff with me when i go...
Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote