Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1947
Chassis: ford
Rated Cap: 36
genny question

ok so if i were to get a diesel generator, and i an running my bus off of wvo, is it possible to run the generator off of wvo too? or would that just not be worth it/ not work
thanks
josh

jrhoades10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: genny question

Seems like a lot of work for something that doesn't run all the time. In my opinion a solar setup would serve your power needs without the noise and emmissions. You can find used solar panels if you hunt for them. People are begginning to retrofit their solar systems with more efficient panels and their old ones become available from time to time. Good luck with whatever choice you make. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

thank you, and no i dont think solar would work for what im planning on doing to my bus, way too many electronics. i'm probly going to get twin hondas that everyone here gives amazing reviews on. it really wouldnt be a big deal to use diesel, especially with the effectiveness of these, but hey, if i wanna try to run my bus on it, why not at least find out if i can. i dont know if this is the right place for this wuestion, but does anyone know if the alternator from the engine will produce enough power to run like, an air conditioner or will i have to run my genny for that while driving?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

just a thought or two to help confuse the decision making process, honda makes a real nice liquid cooled genset specificcally for rv's, like the onan's only it's a honda.

if standby power is a concern when you're at home, kubota and yanmar make some real nice small diesel gensets in quietpack enclosures that deserve a look, portable construction light towers use small diesel gensets, usually 6kw for the 4 light units and 8.5kw for the 6 light units, look for used light towers at the rental yards.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

well i was thinking two because ive heard others talking about two. i really am still at the very begining of this process and these decisions wont be made for wuite a while, i'm still taking my panels apart on the inside and havent even touched anything engine wise, but i was planning on running a lot. i was going to try and get a window air conditioner or two, a mini fridge, stereo system, lights, tv, xbox, and chargers for stuff. so i thought that would require 2.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

You just can't say too much about the honda EU's! They're awesome!

The benefits of running two instead of one is that you'll be putting half as much wear and tear on each one, you'll have plenty of reserve power to do other things, and you still have one to run if the other needs servicing.

The cons of running two instead of one is that it costs twice as much, and they cost enough as it is!

Me, I have one. I love it.

-Ray
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

I suggest, if you haven't already, that you go to
Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO/PPO) Conversion for Diesel Vehicles and see what has been converted to run on veggie oil. The 12 cylinder 200 hp saw mill is quite a thing, there is a [icture opf it, and vcarious other things