Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Going WVO from the ground up. Questions!

sure for your filters i would try to check ebay or craigslist or even a local truck wrecking yard. you can get a much bigger filter that costs as little or less a replacement spin on filters.
a racor or davco filter off of a wrecked semi-tractor trailer will run for 50 to 100 but they are great filters separate water and replacements media are super checp like 8 bucks and go down to 2 micron.
so check that i would also look at diy and homebuilt sections of burnveg forum or greasecar forum for ideas and look for classified sections on both of those forums.
good luck and cant wait to see the setup.

rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Dont go crazy worrying about the heat in the tank--you want some-sure-but I'd put the temp gauge just before the engine. As long as it will flow up your heated line to the heated filter-its all good. For the tank-go plastic. Whether its a plastic 55 gal drum-or sprayer tank-or my choice-a salvaged boat fuel tank. Look around-they can be found cheap.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Steel barrels will corrode over time-veggie is mildly acidic. Aluminum is ok-copper is bad-steel isnt much better. I dont see why mounting a plastic tank would be any different than any other material. Look at the how to section-lots of pics water tank ideas. Straps-angle iron-theres a few ways to support the tank.
No problem running regular rubber hose for the furl lines-the reason you need to change hoses when running bio-d is from the methonal in it-not the veg.
Great info over at greasecar.com forums. A few 7.3 owners-including one with 300k miles on Veg!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

If I could critique you parts list for a second-it seems to me like you're speanding heavy in some areas-but skimping in others. I suppose theres nothing wrong with a 3 way valve under the hood(actually you'd need a 6 way-gotta switch the returns also)-but that means-drive for 15 minutes-stop-switch the valve-stop before where you get to you destination to switch back to diesel-and what about purging? Greasecar has very nice solinoids-also the one at omarsales.com look good too-maybe $120 for both.
As far as fuel pumps go-I know it was suggest to me that for a powerstroke like mine its not needed-not sure on yours-but if I was gonna use one, I dont think i would go as bi g (or costly). 100gph? that all well + good-but if you get 10 mpg-and are doing 60 mph you'll only be going thru 6 gallons of fuelin an hour. On my VW veggie burner, I have a little Facet fuel pump on there just to help things out-its been on there 60k miles-they are like $30 at any parts store. Might be a bit small if that was all you were using-but you are only trying to help get the fuel up to the engine.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

My 1st conversion i got a greasecar kit-figured that way if i had a problem, there was someone I could ask. On my van, I'm piecing things together myself. Most of the stuff is normal hardware-the hose is just 5/8" heater hose-normal hose clamps-the pex line for fuel is just home depot-fittings wherever you find them etc. Greasecar will be redesigning their website soon-offering everything in the kits individually.