Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Ford B-600 WVO Conversion

Greetings! Glad to see another Colorado skooler. You look as though you will be implementing a two-tank WVO system. I would highly reccommend that you implement an aux. fuel pump to help bring the WVO to the engine. The closer to the engine the oil is the easier it is going to be to transport the oil. I've got a heated filter housing on my WVO tank that brings the coolant heated WVO tank (100 degrees average) to the engine at around 165-175. It is all running through coolant line wrapped fuel line. Both the filter and the fuel line are from golden fuel systems. They are both solid products. For the aux. fuel pump I've got a Faas fuel pump. Depending on how much pressure your bus engine desires there are different types. I went and asked a diesel guru about how much pressure my engine needed to maintain and he was very helpful. The warmer you can get the tank WVO the easier it will be for your pump so as not to burn it out leaving you stranded. It seems to me that your plan is pretty solid and you'll figure out the schematics as you go along as far as what path everything is gonna work best. My lines even run along the top of my tranny to soak up a little more heat. In winter those lines will get very cold very quick if they are not kept away from the cold Colorado air. Improperly heated veg is a trip ending nono! You already know that though I can't stress it enough. I've seen that gfs also offers a modular tank (tanks can be added cause they fit together) that has predrilled mounts all over it so you can mount your filter housing VERY close to the tank. I think a line heater will help with starting on Bio but watch those temps and a thermometer or two will give you peace of mind. You might even think about a pressure guage to help with letting you know when filters are needing attention. Otherwise you will know by a slight performance loss. Purging will help especially if the lines are gonna be long from the back of the bus. I gotta run but let me know if I can help. Its good to know another CO skooler is giving up the petroleum. Just one thing...where are you in Co.? I am in Alaska now but can probably hook you up with some locals that run veg. to help with anything. I've also got quite a few WVO friendly businesses that would appreciate an occasional pick-up. Good luck and if you want you could get up to Leadville and check out my system hands on for visual aid. Let me know RECYCLER

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

28%?? Wow! It musta been blowing out chunks of coal!
I don't think bio is THAT much cleaner-are you sure there isn't more at play? Like "i had it checked just after I bought it and it was sitting for 2 years--and i rechecked it after I drove it around a while?" Ct. is also 20%-i took my Jetta thru while on veggie and passed-with 5%.
I dont think having a 55 gallon drum heated just by coolant will heat up very well-unless you go on LONG rides-but that being said, you really just need to get it warm enuff to get to the filter (definatly heat the filter!) And being in cold country-maybe think of running the hoses inside?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Skoolie

You should have no problems getting some WVO in your neck of the woods. Just go hit a sushi spot. Maybe Sumidas? GFS(golden fuel systems supplies FAAS pumps. I'd be surprised if you got enough heat in the Colorado winters with just a plate and heated filter, but it wouldn't be my first time being wrong about something. Besides, it is the perfect temp and is there just being wasted unless you use it. It might even help cool things off onthe passes as well since it's almost like another heat bleeding radiator. The only downside to lines inside is that they will bleed heat into the interior of the bus as well as be visible to the wrong people while in the non-freedom states that seem to surround Colorado. Either way good luck and post your progress! RECYCLER
Old 05-08-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Skoolie

Hey Recycler, how you and the Mrs diggin AK? Still any snow to slash the sickness? We're about to start choppin up the BlueBird and puttin on the tub. Feel free to pass on my info to dude in Boulder. Dude in boulder if your up in Breck hit me up. Gotta run.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Skoolie

Whats up my veg-burnin bro? We're doing good up here and can't wait to get the bus up here as well......it completes me! Still tons of snow up in the mountains...not so much here in Anchorage, but that is a good thing! I WILL pass your number down the line! Tub huh? Write back and tell me your plans man. Sounds like good idea for general Uller craziness! Good luck with all of it yo and hope you guys are all doing well.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Mine is a 7.3 Ford-the easiest to convert-not knowing your motor any advice I can give just from the "basics" and what I've learned from 70k on my Jetta-and constant studying.
heres my set up:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5937 My rig will just be used in warm weather-and the 7.3 heats the fuel by design-and the lift pump "will pump lard" as Ive read. I just have a oil cooler from a 5.3 gas Ford as a fuel heater.

Heres 10 pages of tank ideas:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... 014102/p/9

You can have manual switches-although solinoid failures are very rare. Mcmaster-Carr has 3 way manual switching valves. You need 2 of them so you can can switch to purge.

I have a vegthem on my car-makes about a 20 degree difference in temp. I would suggest it.
The longer hoses you have , the more chance you have of things cooling off. insulate-insulate-insulate! Block off you rad in the winter to keep the heat up. I'd keep as much of the system close together under the hood-the engine only cares if the oil going in it is warm-not how warm it is 25 ft back. I would run the hot water from the engine to the filter->FPHE->tank.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

I've been running veggie oil for almost 4 years now all in a 7.3 idi I used an adjustable pressure veggie oil specific pump to move the oil from the holding tank through the heat exchanger and two heated racor filters into the fuel lines. I just built out my new 92 6.6 bluebird now I'm curious what pressure I should have my pump set at to send fuel to the Bosch injection pump. thanks in advance ��
Knomadicknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I've run systems with + without an extra pump. Besides making it easier to prime, I don't see much difference. If you did use one, I'd only go a pound or two tops. You're just trying to make things easier on the lift pump by moving the fuel to the pump-not trying to force it thru.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Im just concerned because when I did my first conversion I ended up killing my fuel pump, after I added a veggie specific pump with a pressure regulator I didn't have any more problems
Old 12-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

But I need to know what pressure to have it at going to the pump, my last one an e350 was 60psi
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

60 psi? I have no extra pump on my 7.3 with zero problems. The running pressure on the engine is only 40 psi.
If you need 60 psi to move oil from the tank, theres something wrong with the oil.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

For a 2000 7.3 the inline pump is 60 psi, I am living in CANADA, not sure if that makes a difference. The stock pump isn't rated for any resistance, the cold is a challenge, I've got more heaters than you can shake a stick at, but I found that adding the veggie specific pump made all the difference, full horse power and no more dead pumps, the bosch pump in my new bus is much more expensive to fix or replace so I wanna do it right the first time.
does anyone know the amount of pressure the pump in a 92 b600 6.6 operates at