Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Golden Fuel Systems?

I don't have a "GFS" system, but I do have components from them that make up my system. Top quality

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

If you want a turn key system, I would look at Frybrid before any other company. I have included a link. Spend some time there a check their kits out. They seem expensive, but not when you consider being stranded out in the middle of nowhere not knowing how to work on your bus.

http://www.frybrid.com/index.htm

I have no ties with them, but it doesn't take a dummy to see the quality of their products. Good luck.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

The very very FIRST thing you need to do is make sure you have a source for oil. "Oh there are plenty of resturants in town" doesn't mean anything if someone already has claim to it-wether another greaser of a rendering company. Don't get discouraged if you get a few "no's" before you get a yes.
Then you have to figure how much you are going to need-local 3 hour trips? cross country? How much do you need to carry? Do you have somewhere to get oil when you get to your location?
How about storage + filtering? You need to pick the oil up from the restuarants-then let it sit around-then you need to filter it + store it-you have a place to do it? (and wherever it you do it-you WILL end up making a mess at some point in time.)
Wvo can be fun-but it can be a PITA also. After 3 1/2 years at it, it seems totally natural to me-stopping at gas stations seems odd. BUt there is a bit of a learning curve until that point. In no way am I trying to discourage you from it, just trying to be sure you look at everything involved before spending any money.

EDIT: I see you are in Brooklyn-next weekend (23rd) up in Yorktown is "Greasestock '10" a great gathering where you can all kinds of info + ideas. I won't be there this year-but have been in years past.
The Peter Pratt Inn
673 Croton Heights Road
Yorktown, New York 10598
This from John Pratt-swiped from greasecar.com:
"Right you are! For address go to: www.prattsinn.com
you can call me @ 914 494 3618
Start time is 12:00pm. Bar open @11:59.
I've received a bunch of emails and calls about this year. It should be a great time. I'll have a concession with burgers, Dogs and the like but feel free to bring your own grub. I will have a special Local Brewery make a coupla kegs of "Greasestock Gold" for the event. This year I am having a tough time of rounding up all the organizers but I am going ahead come hell or high water with GS'10. I had 2 new greasers stop by outa the blue today asking about GS. "

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Crazycal is dead on. You should "know" your system as well as possible. Being stranded in the middle of nowhere is bad....just think of being stranded on a freeway with nowhere to pull over and not having a clue as to what to do. Frybrid does make it pretty easy for shortening the learning curve. ALL the knowledge you need is available for free if you take the initiative. In my opinion, one should encompass the whole shebang of what is happening in your engine and what is coming out the back(emmissions). 6grand is pretty steep for something you wouldn't know anything about. Get after it and learn, learn, learn. Go make friends at the local school bus barn.....bribe them with a pizza or something to pick the pro-brains. Good luck
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

I've also heard that Frybrid is a top quality system, but my concern with that system is the level of automation. I prefer to have more manual control over the WVO system. So for instance, I don't want an alarm beeping at me if I turn the engine off without purging. Maybe I'm just running into a store for a couple minutes and don't want to sit there purging for no reason. That's just one small example. Also it introduces another level of complexity that can lead to system failure and/or limit my ability to fix things. But obviously many people like the automation, or they wouldn't be selling these kits.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

I have had a Greasecar system on a small pick up truck and just got my Golden Fuel system for my Ford Short School bus. My father has done a ton of reasearch and tried to contact Frybrid numerous times about their systems but has never recieved any reply. Before I bought my Golden fuel system I emailed them with questions and got answers the next day. My kit came in a week and has all the instructions for installation. Golden Fuels has the best customer service and you can watch some of their videos on Youtube.

If youre going to run WVO you must prefilter no matter what. Even if you just use a gravity filter which you pour oil through a filter bag and let gravity do the work. In a bus you should have plenty of room for your tank, filtering supplies, and a little extra oil for emergencies. Im not sure who gave you a quote of 6K for installation but thats way too high. My kit cost 2k and Ill be installing myself. A knowledgable mechanic should not be charging 4k just for installation. Keep looking and keep reading about it. Youtube is also full of videos on people's conversion kits. Everyone from Grandpa cowboys to young inner city kids are on there talking about gathering, filtering, and using oil as fuel in their cars.
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #7

I am new to the forums, but this sounds so cool that I had to post.
BusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote