Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Direction of Coolant flow in E350

Hey,
I have a 99' ford 7.3L turbo powerstroke E350 short bus. I am hooking up a Golden Fuel System veggie conversion and am wondering which way the coolant flows. I have no owners manual.

If you are looking under the hood on the Left hand side there is a coolant line coming out of what looks like the engine to me( its large and solid and looks like part of the engine) its then connected to the dashboard heater, then the line comes out of the dashboard heater and leads to the right side under the hood and down the length of the bus to the Aux. heater located under the old seats, it loops back toward the front and ends up connecting somewhere in the middle lower section under the hood (its under the turbo and I cant see what it connects to).

I need to connect the lines so that the veg oil tank gets hot coolant. In the directions that came with the kit it says that the veg tank coolant supply hose should be connected with the hot coolant supply. I am wondering if the coolant flows into the dashboard heater first or the aux heater first, that way I can tap into the hottest coolant supply. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks.

zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Direction of Coolant flow in E350

Just in case nobody else replies, my educated guess is that the hose that goes from the front of the engine to the dash heater is the supply (ie: the coolant flows out from the engine through this hose and is hottest at this point in the loop). This is how it is on my Mercedes, and in fact the return similarly comes back to a part of the engine under the turbo. It would make sense that the manufacturer would would send the hottest fluid to the dash first so you have optimal defrosting, which is really the highest priority. Also, it makes sense mechanically, because the water pump has to run off of one of the engine's spinning components, so it has to be on the front of the engine along with the alternator, fan, power steering pump, etc., and the water pump will push water into the beginning of a loop, not suck it from the end of a loop.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote