Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Skoolie

GMAC wouldn't insure

About a month ago I called GMAC to get my skoolie insured. Started out good on the phone, he stated it would be no problem insuring it but they would only provide liability. I said no problem. Then the guy asked me if it was professionally converted. Uh, I converted myself. He said they would only insure conversions that were professionally done. Anyone else have this experience? I think I am going to call back again tomorrow and see if a different person will do it.

Also I was thinking about calling Geico. Has anyone dealt with them?

travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: GMAC wouldn't insure

YES! It was converted by a professional.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
YES! It was converted by a professional.
Is that what everyone else says?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Was never asked that question. To my understanding, that is why they only will give you liability. Call again and talk to someone who has a clue.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Was never asked that question. To my understanding, that is why they only will give you liability. Call again and talk to someone who has a clue.
Called GMAC again today. Secured coverage for $100 every 6 months . Great rate as far as I am concerned. Had my insurance card via email in less than an hour after the call.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Called GMAC again today. Secured coverage for $100 every 6 months . Great rate as far as I am concerned. Had my insurance card via email in less than an hour after the call.

So what did you do/say different?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Skoolie

I actually didn't do anything different. Just a different person. When I was giving him my information he asked for the year, make and model. I told him it was a 94 International 3800 bus that was converted and registered as a motor home. He said okay but they could only do liability coverage and I said that is all I am looking for. Ten minutes later I had insurance...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #8

Yeah, In my opinion, $100 every 6 months is a very cheap rate. I think it is all about the person who attends the phone when we call. When I called for the first time, the same thing happened to me!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

I've read about people getting bumped off GMAC. I called before we even had our bus and was told they will not insure any skoolies. I was informed that they used to, but changed the policy. So if that is true, some people know about the change and some do not, so there is the possibility they'll drop you within 6 months. I contacted GoodSam, and even they know they are one of if not THE only company that will fully insure a skoolie. You may want to get a quote from them just in case.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 6.0L V8
Rated Cap: 72

I just said.. "I would like to get an RV insurance quote for my 1989 GMC 6000, class A MotorHome" and they had no problem.

$169 x 2 per year
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Goos Sam worked for me , they said as long as it wasn't built on a van chassis & was a full size bus liability was no problem, as a none member to good sam I paid $236.00 yr
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1991
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

State Farm, who I have everything else with, had no problem with my bus, but wanted a bunch of pictures taken so they could see that the seats were out and that it wasn't still a bus. I called GMAC and they didn't care. I am a Good Sam member and my GMAC policy is a Good Sam policy. It's not GMAC anymore as they recenctly changed thier name. I think they are called National General or something like that. My premium is paid yearly, not 6-months, and it's by far my cheapest vehicle. It's liability only, but they will give you full coverage if you get it appraised.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
Skoolie

I worked for State Farm for several years, and I know they do insure skoolies. They do provide full coverage for skoolies, but usually only insure it for a stated value since it is a modified vehicle. State Farm's underwriting department does require detailed photos and sometimes a questionnaire / application, but I know their rates are reasonable and they do everything possible to try and help with an accurate valuation of the bus.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

I just got off the phone with Good Sam/National General (formerly gmac). They quoted me $169/yr for liability only. I'm so relieved! I figured it would be more. Where is the party hat smilie?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1997
Chassis: International Amtram Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 87

I would say .. once you've got it converted .. you are a professional. Hell yes, I would say it was professionally converted.
My Facebook Blog: https://www.facebook.com/sliceoflifeRv
missingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #16

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: ??
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 94

I just got my RV insurance for our skoolie this last Friday. I tried everywhere I could think of & was sent to contact an insurance broker, then I saw on this site where Good Sam club had RV insurance. It was a little of the same frustration trying to fill out the online brand. I finally found a listing for "other" "International". That was all it took. I then called their phone number listed online to finish it all up. No problems at all. Yearly insurance cost me about $385. Not bad for almost losing hope of getting it at all. I also joined Good Sam Club to save a little more. I could have dropped the premium even more if I would have gotten roadside assistance, but I'm just getting my feet wet with Good Sam & didn't want to buy in lock stock & barrel. At least not yet.
Bill Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

We really need to have people give more info on this. I know a lot of people are saying they are having issues getting insured but how what where and why they are doing this isn't really being put on here. I think the biggest factor is where you are in your bus conversion… i.e. fully converted…. not converted… or partial converted. People who are fully converted should have little to no problems with getting insured by a company that does converted school buses.

So additional info would help those whom are struggling that are in the partial to non converted category.

I performed this experiment on progressives website, which I believe that someone here just got through doing. Here are screen shots of that action.

Input of my information

the results of that info

I did go over to the commercial side and put in that info and selected that I was a non load carrying bus for pleasure use. It was a little high but it is still an option versus no insurance at all.

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote