Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Need help buying/registering bus

Alright,
I'm looking to buy a bus to convert into an RV. This will be the first vehicle I've purchased, and I'm pretty unfamiliar with the whole process, and the fact that it is a bus doesn't simplify things (harder to find information). I read this topic but it didn't really help me. Step 1 is 'convert bus', but the bus is in another state.
I'm looking at several buses on eBay, and with some luck one of them will end up mine. Most of these are located out of state (I live in CT). What do I need to do to get it back to CT legally, and what should I get from the seller to make sure there are no bumps in the road later on?
Thanks for any help you can give,
John

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Re: Need help buying/registering bus

I was able to buy a temporary tag good for 30 days at my local tax assessor(license plate people) to drive mine home since it had only seating for 5 left it only cost me $25 instead of $50 for a week.

Make sure the title is clear and transferable, mine is clear but the previous owner fill it out as if he was a dealer and never titled it which is causing problems. This will vary by state. So I have to pay to get a bonded to title to transfer it to my name as a bus then re-title to an RV.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Re: Need help buying/registering bus

Thanks whitefink,
I actually got it back here without issue from MN to CT with a temporary plate. I've yet to register it because the conversion isn't even near finished. But there are plenty of guides on that around. I'll be sure to share what I learn once its all over with.