Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Wisconsin Registration

I'm surprised that Wisconsin is so lax on their laws, but good for you! I can't imaging dealing with some of the struggles those in other states do.

[hijack] I think you're doing just fine keeping the YA plates, Shortbus, but look into the RV plates just because. When I registered mine the affidavit said I needed to have toilet facilities on board. It didn't say anything about needing to be permanent instead of a chemical toilet and I wasn't going to bring that to their attention.

The registration is going to cost the same either way I dare say. You might actually get a slight pro rata rate on the RV plates because of mileage, but RV plates are on the same gross weight tax base as Y-plates in Minnesota. Your insurance may or may not prove to be cheaper. I would pay about $200 per year for liability on my bus for 7500 (I think) miles if I kept it insured full time as an RV. That is liability only, but that's just fine with me. The bus trumps most other vehicles on the road so I'm not worried about damage. The best part is that my agent not only supports, but actually automatically suspends my insurance for me so I end up paying $50-$75 per year for my RV insurance and use it whenever I want.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74
Ditto on WI

Hello Mr. Experience, I finally got around to registering my second bus in WI . the first was many years ago and I survived the State patrol inspection of the fabulous five items on the affidavit sheet. The first time through They inspected every thing e-brake and tire wear steering gear...... everything.

this time around I fully prepped the chassis and had a great story prepared for the fabulous five list Shore power, OTR heat, cooking, Sanitaion, shore hvac. I too recieved a MV2103 form and Giggled as he walked around the outside signed the form and ask me what I was using it for..... I stated Motorhome and wham that is what it is motorhome 80,000 #.

Trooper __________ stated we don't worry about the specifics, if it is not recognizable as a *school* bus enjoy, further more he stated most people build these*buses* to haul stock cars, he seemed pleased that I was preparing it as an RV.

BTW I am in E.central WI

Oh and it is orange and WHite.
Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Year: 1996
Coachwork: mid bus
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 6.5 liter
Rated Cap: 19

I am in the process of converting a mid bus when I registered in Wi The trooper that inspects the busses that we use in Milwaukee looked at it Gave me the regs of what had to come off Reds , Stop arm Paint Ect. He also sugessted that I use the 51% rule that is if you use 49% as cargo or passenger you weigh less than 10,000 lbs ( the truck not me) 4 wheels you can register as a van so I have a 1 ton van with car plates
todd246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
KDN
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 5.9 cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Hi Todd, I was just speaking with the PD and state boys myself. They told me that if i leave the back part for storage or to haul something there that i could register it as a motorhome or a truck. I thought the truck would be better because of the plate being year round, but was worried about getting insurance. They also told me that the bus would be given a new VIN and titled as a 2009 motorhome/truck. How did the insurance work out for you? I don't insure my truck because i rarely leave the state, but i will be traveling the country in the bus and will have to have insurance then.
KDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

Year: 1996
Coachwork: mid bus
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 6.5 liter
Rated Cap: 19

KDN

Sorry I've been too busy to check the web site.

Inurance wise I had a hard time because my van is a cut away no one wanted to touch it.

only 2 were willing to look at it.

Progressive Commerical About 100.00 per month all seats left in

State farm 45.00 1/2 seats gone I went with state farm commerical.

I hope it helps you out
todd246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

I'm just starting on this myself. Email with state DMV office got me a "just paint it and have a SP officer look at it" type response. Will have to make a trip to the local office since the email didn't give a whole lot of information.

Looking over costs, I am aiming to do the bus as a motorhome since those are a tad cheaper than a heavy weight truck. Will try in the spring (after purchase) to get insurance through GMAC. Not sure about roadside service as of yet.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 77

Is this thread still alive? I just bought a bus in MN and live in WI. I'm trying to find the path of least resistance in getting the bus licensed and insured per state requirements.

I want to convert it to an RV, but want to be able to use it in the mean time to haul the family around while we work on the conversion.

Any recommendations on how I should procede? Do I need to license it as a bus until I make some major mods such as water, power, cookstove, etc.?

Thanks!
Koeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Not sure you're still needing help but you can send me pm if what is in thread doesn't answer questions.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 72

Can anyone tell me what the current requirements are to get a 40 foot schoolie licensed in WI? I am in PA right now and it's a mess.
jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote