Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Re-Weighing and Licensing

Hey all,

So I picked up my bus at a dealer which solved any registration issues, they gave me a paper tag with proof of insurance. I used GMAC (now known as national general) and they are insuring me for MD minimum liability for $1300 / yr (I am a 19 year old guy with a 20 mph over speeding ticket, and "unlawful use of license" charge under my belt, is why the cost is so high). MD minimum liability is higher than most states too. Anyway, they know exactly what I am doing with the bus, I just told them I was doing a school bus to RV conversion, and they had no issue with that.

I do not know what the GVW of the vehicle is currently, it doesn't say on the title and I haven't found a plate that says it yet, but I assume it is over 26k by a fair amount. However, I wanted to get some opinions...I assume, with the seats out, the bus will weigh between 17-19k lbs, and I most certainly won't be adding 7,000 lbs worth of people and gear to it. So does anyone know if it is possible to get the bus "reclassified" for a lower GVW of under 26k (25,999?) and if that's a feasible way of bypassing the need for a class B license? Air brakes are a non-issue, anyone with a class C can use air brakes if the vehicle is under 26k.

The other option is, while this still could be considered a "bus," to go and get my class B noncommercial license. That involves going to the MVA, taking a written test, and getting a learners permit, waiting 2 weeks, and then taking the bus (converted from school use but still classifiable as a bus) and then taking a drivers test with the bus. I would need to take it up there with someone who is licensed to drive it. This would eliminate the need for me to reclassify the weight and I wouldn't have to worry about what materials to build with or the size of tanks or number of people on board, and it would probably look better if I got pulled over. But it is a hassle to get the license.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Re-Weighing and Licensing

Every state is different but in California you don't need a CDL if the bus is reclassified as a motorhome.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78

I was so exited about getting all the seats out that I forgot to weight a seat to see how much weight I took off, does anyone know on an average how much weight?
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126

Our bus is rated 33,000 lbs. In Maryland you have to be both an RV and 26,000 lbs or under. You can get it reclassified when you change the title to RV. I plan to get mine re-weighed. I have been told we should be around 20,000 - 22,000 lbs when done.

Oh, we need to take the air break test. I'm waiting because you need to supply your own vehicle.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Our bus is rated 33,000 lbs. In Maryland you have to be both an RV and 26,000 lbs or under. You can get it reclassified when you change the title to RV. I plan to get mine re-weighed. I have been told we should be around 20,000 - 22,000 lbs when done.

Oh, we need to take the air break test. I'm waiting because you need to supply your own vehicle.

The gvwr has nothing to do with how much the vehicle weighs.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

Right, but you can reclassify the rating. I have mine "rated" at 21k, even though the GVW on it is 29k. If I got pulled over and was over 21k, I would technically be in trouble, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm planning to get it weighed shortly, and I'll change it if I need to.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Bus Geek

I had a choice of 16K or 26K plates (normal "car" plates are only 5k in TN) so I went with 26K plates for like $20 a year more...that's insurance because I know I'm over 16k
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

I was told by those smart people at the DMV/MVA that I would have to get the bus weighed to get it reclassified. Then they use some formula to come up with the GVWR

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

In California personal vehicles don't get weighed with the exception of pickup trucks. They are still considered commercial regardless of the use and must be weighed empty. That's what you weight fee is based on. Over 10k pounds, you declare a gross weight and that's what you pay for. Every state has their own rules and it gets confusing on a forum like this with members from 50 states(58 states if you're Obama) and multiple countries.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:

It was my understanding that if it was under 26k then we don't need any additional testing? Class C licenses have no air brake restriction. I believe any vehicle under 26k with air brakes is operable by anyone with a class C. Hence why you see those big Penske trucks being driven by idiots all the time, and I believe they have air brakes.

Does anyone know who / what place would be able to do the weighing AND doing the math to see what the gross weight would be? I have no idea how that is done. I have tried searching for this info on the MVA page and have found nothing.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
It was my understanding that if it was under 26k then we don't need any additional testing? Class C licenses have no air brake restriction. I believe any vehicle under 26k with air brakes is operable by anyone with a class C. Hence why you see those big Penske trucks being driven by idiots all the time, and I believe they have air brakes.

Does anyone know who / what place would be able to do the weighing AND doing the math to see what the gross weight would be? I have no idea how that is done. I have tried searching for this info on the MVA page and have found nothing.

Thanks!
I will see where I can find the info for the air break test. I read that even RVs need this in Maryland. As for the weighing a bus, there are many places that have scales. The rest I got when I talked to MVA.

When you weigh, many here say it is a good idea to weigh each axel alone too to see your axel weight. Some go as far as to weigh each side too.

I heard you can get it weight at a Pilot FlyingJ for around $10. I know there is one in Hagerstown.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Alright thanks. I was trying to "bypass" the need for an upgraded license for convenience's sake but upon further research it looks like it would just be more of a pain to get stopped somewhere and only have a class C. I will probably end up taking the MD motorhome (class B noncommercial) test once it is classifiable as such.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches

Thanks!
I will see where I can find the info for the air break test. I read that even RVs need this in Maryland. As for the weighing a bus, there are many places that have scales. The rest I got when I talked to MVA.

When you weigh, many here say it is a good idea to weigh each axel alone too to see your axel weight. Some go as far as to weigh each side too.

I heard you can get it weight at a Pilot FlyingJ for around $10. I know there is one in Hagerstown.
Look for CAT scales, I've been told they are the most accurate. Also lumber yards will usually have pretty good scales.

It's crazy that y'all need so much paperwork in MD!!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
Look for CAT scales, I've been told they are the most accurate. Also lumber yards will usually have pretty good scales.

It's crazy that y'all need so much paperwork in MD!!
That is why it is so much fun living close to the government.

My Conversion Thread: