Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 90
Need help finding insurance before next Monday!

Hola Skoolies!

Long story short, though I'm still out of the country, I'm buying a bus sight unseen from Ebay, and having a (very well trusted) friend drive it home for me. Plane tickets, purchase money, seller, and mechanicals all seem to be in order...so far.

However, I tried about 3 different insurance companies last night, and they all pretty much laughed when I said I needed a temporary policy for a friend(no cdl) to drive a preconversion 40' AARE 900 miles home.

Am I okay calling it an RV for insurance purposes before the work is done? Those seats will sure never be rode in again, and my buddy will probably sleep on the bus. Is that RV enough? 'Skoolie insurance is one thing but this bus is still intact, and not exactly a small one either!

Those of you who have driven home a new bus recently, how did you get your insurance, and who did you go through?

Thanks in advance! I have to get this figured out before Friday!

JDecker

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10085
JDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73
Re: Need help finding insurance before next Monday!

I would not tell them it is temp insurance or that a friend is driving, just call and tell them you want a 6 month policy, then you can cancel it as needed, all policies will cover the occasional non listed driver.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 48

Up here I can get a temporary "testing" permit. It can be good for up to two weeks and is fairly cheap. Get it registered as a motorhome if you don't already have it registered. I just had registration done and the person was really helpful and did that without me asking, and I wouldn't have known to ask.
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Always less info when it comes to telling them things. For now don't offer anything you don't have to.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Skoolie

I know that many insurance companies will extend liability / physical damage coverage to a permitted irregular driver (ie, your friend, your parent, etc.) as long as that person is a legally registered driver. Most companies will state this information in their policy coverage form; you just have to dig through the verbiage to find it. I would be surprised if this wasn't the case because it seems fairly standard for most large, national insurance companies.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote