Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3126b
Rated Cap: 66
GMAC Quoted Me $1200 A Year, wth!?!?

I'm in the process of waiting for approval on what sounds like a very high quote from GMAC.

Everyone else on here seems to be paying around $400 a year.

I told them it was professionally converted to a motor home.

I'm picking up the bus next Monday. Does anyone know why I might have gotten such a high quote? I have a perfect driving record and the bus will be kept in a locked rv parking place.

I made the mistake of putting in info. on their website so they already know who I am.
I guess I'll pay it if I have to, (and they approve it), but I was expecting a bit lower quote based on what people here seem to be paying.

Any thoughts/info. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

TwilitFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: GMAC Quoted Me $1200 A Year, wth!?!?

Just for liability? There are multiple factors that can drive the price up. Most of us have fairly stripped down insurance. At least I do

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilitFox

I told them it was professionally converted to a motor home.
Thats it right there [I think]. I dont know any here that have a "professionally" converted one. I pay $230 a year and they will only give me liability because its NOT pro converted.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Well, now GMAC refuses to cover me because I made the mistake of saying it would be used for "storage" because I wasn't expecting the question and thought that's what they wanted to hear. Big mistake.

I tried to convince them that I meant it will be parked at a storage facility in their RV spots (which is actually likely to be true), but they said they listened to the recording and will not write me a policy. End of story.

On another thread I read to always say it was professionally converted. Oh well.

Someone recommended I try State Farm so I'll try the local office next and be more upfront about what I'm doing.

But GMAC won't even let me let them gouge me now. I should probably thank them but...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, $1260 a year was GMAC's quote for just liability. They refused to tell me why other people pay around $400 for the same basic liability coverage.

Actually, they said they could get it down to about $498 per six months if I lowered the coverage to Florida's minimum. That's with no points or accidents or anything negative on my license. Maybe I got lucky I messed up t he phone call, now I'll look for something a little more reasonable... off to State Farm...

UPDATE: HOLY TAMOLY! AIS Insurance out in CA were very nice on the phone, but their quote, (also through GMAC) was $1600 a year. She said now that more people are calling about school buses she thinks GMAC wants to get out of insuring them, though they tell her they are not... Holy Tamoly. I'm waiting for a call back from State Farm. Meanwhile, enjoy my maniacally laughing emoticon which sums up my current state of being.

SUPER SPECIAL UPDATE #3: I just filled out the forms online at Progressive and got a quote for 213.14 for the year! Wow. Also waiting on the local State Farm to get back to me.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher

Strange when I called Progressive they told me they would not do School bus conversions, I called Good Sam & got liability only for $230.00 a year, If I joined the Good Sam club it would have been $213.00
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

It was a tough decision but I went with Progressive at $213 over GMAC at $1260 to $1600.

Filled all the paperwork out online, never had to even speak to an agent. Maybe they'll even let me keep it long enough to get my new girl home!

Thanks for the responses and personal messages, love this forum <3
Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilitFox
SUPER SPECIAL UPDATE #3: I just filled out the forms online at Progressive and got a quote for 213.14 for the year! Wow. Also waiting on the local State Farm to get back to me.
My experience with Progressive was that they were happy to insure my first school bus so long as it was a bus. They advised that they wouldn't cover it after the point of becoming an RV/motorhome, though. That threshold had something to do with facilities for cooking, sleeping, etc. I sold that bus about 7 months later (August 2012). I bought another in April 2013 and went back to Progressive, but (IIRC) they said they didn't want to insure it simply because I *planned* to convert it. If they've changed their tune I'd love to hear about it.

I just got my National General (GMAC changed their name nearly a year ago) renewal bill this morning. It went up $50 from last year, and I was going to complain, but now having read your tale maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Question... I have gone to both the good sam and the progressive site and put in some info but I am not getting to the proper screens to put in what type of school bus I have?

Can I ask you guys what you put in those sites when you did this online to get that quote?

I just went to the National General (formerly GMAC) and it takes you to the Good Sam site so........ looks like they are not going to insure directly
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Question... I have gone to both the good sam and the progressive site and put in some info but I am not getting to the proper screens to put in what type of school bus I have?

Can I ask you guys what you put in those sites when you did this online to get that quote?

I just went to the National General (formerly GMAC) and it takes you to the Good Sam site so........ looks like they are not going to insure directly
I started on the God Sam website but I couldn't answer some of the questions with the options it gave me so I called them directly & they were very helpful ,, Stuart
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

cool ill call them. I need to get it lined up here pretty quick
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

I deal with a local insurance brocker here in good ol' Central MN and both Progressive and State Farm are just shy of $100/year. I went with Progressive because we have our auto through them. They know that it's a converted school bus and didn't really seem to care. Both agents told me that neither company will loudly advertise that they insure our Skoolies and the broker that sells Progressive told me that there is not a Progressive agent that will write a Skoolie policy. Didn't know why, just knew that the actual Progressive agents won't do it.

I just paid the renewal on the bus and got tabs this Monday and the tabs were $96 and liability only was $93. Not bad in my book.