Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
HELP! I need TX insurance to get my new bus home!

My bus (to be) is a '94 Bluebird Church type bus with only 77k on the odo. It's currently registered as a private bus and will be switched to MV as soon as I register it (I'm in Texas). Problem is that I keep on getting head butted by insurance companies on their ever-so-restrictive policies about not issuing policies to buses. I had GMAC/NGIC on the line and they just changed their policy on this 4 days ago! Does anyone have an actual personal agency contact you can put me in touch with here in Texas?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: HELP! I need TX insurance to get my new bus home!

Jeff

I am also in TX and basically fighting your same fight but have had my bus at home for about 2 yrs now. This is a topic we have been discussing on a Facebook.

Here is what I have found in my research with a couple of companies.

1) Check with Good Sam. I have a quote through them that will cover my auto and bus. Its through National General. They still are writing for buses but ALL policies have to go through under writing before they can quote it.

2) State Farm will insure a bus but the agent I dealt with sent it through under writing through them and they only wanted to write it as a commercial policy. Which was EXPENSIVE. I did not like dealing with them but i think most of the issue came from how the agent requested the quote. Im not a fan of state farm anyway.

3) progressive will not take any new policies for buses. I have heard of people who have it they continue to renew existing customers but no one new.

So far Good Sam has been a pleasure to deal with and the rate I got wasn't super crazy. The bus by itself was 259 a yr but with in that quote there was a 79.00 towing coverage for not just the bus but every car we own. So not a super bad deal. You can get a rebate if the bus is parked for 6 month you can put it in a suspended status to try and save money. I am moving my auto from USAA next week and will end up saving about a 100 per month. With the auto and bus bundled….. the bus was around 200 per yr.

Here is a direct number to Tony the agent who helped me 314 493 8726. I told him that people may be calling him to get service.

Hope this helps.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the help Bapos. I did get the insurance from a State Farm agent. It's currently still registered as a private bus and it was $167 for 6 months, about the same as my car. She will also have no problem insuring it as a MH as soon as I get the state to change the title.

BTW, I bought the bus in Joshua and went through Cleburne 6 times. Nice town!
Jeff
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

interesting

the state farm agent i talked to said the only way they would insure it would be commercial?

I know where you bought your bus then… they were at a truck wash business?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

He had it insured with State Farm too, and it wasn't commercial. I think it really depends on getting an agent who'll work for you. Did the bus you saw look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
P3080057.JPG  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Nut

no there were several school buses there. If you don't mind can you PM me your agents number? I don't mind someone from another area insuring it. As I have said before I think some agents are better than others…..