Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #1

New comer insurance help

Im new to this and am looking at buying a e350 shuttle bus. I just talked on the phone with progressive and they told me they only do proffessional bus conversions. Can someone help me out by telling where I could go to get insurance so I could drive this home?

alexneverawake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Re: New comer insurance help

Call Good Sam. They'll still underwrite bus conversions when no one else will. Mine runs about 350-ish a year for liability on 75 pax.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

I called them and got a quote for $750 a year?? But I think he put more than liability on the quote...wouldn't the liability just consist of Bodily Injury and Property damage not all the other bullshit charges?
alexneverawake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj
Call Good Sam. They'll still underwrite bus conversions when no one else will. Mine runs about 350-ish a year for liability on 75 pax.
When I called Good Sam they said no if it was a van chassis, Full size bus was ok,
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

ask them to email you the quote. It will lay out everything with the limits etc...
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexneverawake11
I called them and got a quote for $750 a year?? But I think he put more than liability on the quote...wouldn't the liability just consist of Bodily Injury and Property damage not all the other bullshit charges?
Most insurance companies will also include Medical Payments, Uninsured and Underinsured coverage when you ask for liability. States have different law when it comes to the uninsured and underinsured coverage, but usually the only two coverages that make something "full coverage" as opposed to "liability only" is physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision). You can disregard medical payments if you don't care about yourself or anyone riding in your bus, and drop uninsured and underinsured if you are confident that anyone that hits you or is at fault for an accident will definitely have insurance (probably not a good bet). Did they give you a quote of all the coverages they were including?

The owner of this site and I have used State Farm to insure our stuff for years. Never had an issue. Definitely less expensive than what people are saying in this particular forum about premiums from other insurance companies.

There are a few other threads on here by members regarding insurance coverage. Sometimes insurance reps aren't extremely knowledgeable about bus conversions and the difference between a converted bus, a school bus and a recreational vehicle. There are some good hints / tips in other threads in this forum about what you need to convey to the insurance rep to make sure both of you are on the same page.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote