Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

west virginia please help

has anyone on here registered their bus in west virginia? i called the dmv and asked about converting a bus to an rv and he guy told me i needed a packet of forms. what i get is a bunch of forms that make no sense. one form says that the bus is to be used as a motorcycle hauler, which i never said anything about a motorcycle, another is about the police and a vin number, yet another talks about needing a picture of the front and the side, while yet another form says i need 5 pictures, inside and out.

i swear the wv dmv makes everything as absolutely hard as i can be. ive spent all day on the phone, being transferred and being on hold, only to be told i was sent to the wrong department.

can someone please help me

broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73
Re: west virginia please help

Dont know anything specific about WV laws buy many states require several inside/outside pictures to convert the title to an RV, that is probably the correct form.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Wv registration

Did you get your skoolie registered and if so what does the plate look like. I registered mine the other day and it looks like a regular plate but it doesn't have two letters like typical car plates it has just one number and it's a B in the third place.
bull10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hello,

Hang in there! and good job reaching out for help, that's how we all make leaps of progress here without hurting ourselves.

I recently registered this 85 bus in Virginia and they tried to steer me in all those complicated directions.

I gently shared the information as follows; the police inspection and new vin plate is ONLY for vehicles in which the motor or chassis have been modified in some way; OUR Busses have not. So this does not apply.

Eventually a lady came to help and asked the girl to simply put MOTORHOME in the place where bus was and try it. It worked. Virginia no longer has a code for RV, so dont bother with that. Just use motorhome.

I also took them photos to show i had met the requirements or a beedding area, a separate heating and cooling source, a compost toilet, solar power, inverters, etc.

Maybe taking a copy of this actual post may help them. It paid off to be very patient with them because it is NOT something they encounter often or even know how to do.

And most of all good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Have you finished your registration yet?

I spoke with the WV DMV a few times. Ugh, the hold time, and I will convert the bus to an RV title.

They never said much about alot of forms, but they do want photos of the bathroom, holding tanks, Kitchen and what not. More or less to to prove that it's an functional RV.

Going to in RV title in WV does several things.

A. CDL not required (anywhere). This will be good for teaching my kids how to drive something bigger.

B. Class A tags (about $35 per year) compaierd to bus tags ($180 per year). When I bought the bus the title listed 25K LBS GVRW. Funny thing is the data tag is 36K lbs. Well, who am I to correct that, at 36K it would have cost me about another $80 a year for tags. No thanks.

I have no doubt insurance would be easier under a bus title, but I'll deal with that then. Currently I have the commercial progressive.

I'm in Terra Alta, Preston Co once it warms up here (May I hope) we're finally going to get to work on this thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #6

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24v
Rated Cap: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Have you finished your registration yet?

I spoke with the WV DMV a few times. Ugh, the hold time, and I will convert the bus to an RV title.

They never said much about alot of forms, but they do want photos of the bathroom, holding tanks, Kitchen and what not. More or less to to prove that it's an functional RV.

Going to in RV title in WV does several things.

A. CDL not required (anywhere). This will be good for teaching my kids how to drive something bigger.

B. Class A tags (about $35 per year) compaierd to bus tags ($180 per year). When I bought the bus the title listed 25K LBS GVRW. Funny thing is the data tag is 36K lbs. Well, who am I to correct that, at 36K it would have cost me about another $80 a year for tags. No thanks.

I have no doubt insurance would be easier under a bus title, but I'll deal with that then. Currently I have the commercial progressive.

I'm in Terra Alta, Preston Co once it warms up here (May I hope) we're finally going to get to work on this thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Did you get your bus registered in WV as a RV? I just bought a 98 blue bird transit last week and I am about to go through the same thing. Any help would be appreciated!
Rumroller is offline   Reply With Quote