Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

Not allowed in Vancouver, Washington

I recently moved to Vancouver WA with my skoolie, but the city could not understand how to title an RV conversion. So, I had to drive an hour away to the next county and they happily registered as an RV. Even though it is licensed, the city is considering it "Heavy Commercial Equipment" and telling me that I cannot park it anywhere on my property.

I have been in the nearly futile effort of fighting it for some time now, but I am posting this as a warning. If you have a skoolie and want to move to WA, stay OUT of Clark County. If you live in the city limits of Vancouver, you will not be able to have a skoolie at all! If someone in Vancouver has successfully been able to park their bus on their property, I'd love to hear how they did it.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Not allowed in Vancouver, Washington

Not to turn this into a political rant, but always check to see what political party is the dominant one in your future location. If it is the donkey, expect a bunch of bull-dookey and legislation that will drive you crazy.

I live in Florida. What isn't allowed in the county I live in, Alachua County, is allowed in the surrounding counties. Guess what the political make up of the various counties is.

In questioning my friends all over, this seems to hold true across the board. Even in California, where the worst counties for the most part are the southern, more liberal ones.

Funny how Liberal means more intrusive and more government regulations.

Hope you find a councilman or commissioner who has a lick of brains who can help you. Good luck in tilting at windmills.
abwetzel63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
xJP
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 72
Send a message via MSN to xJP
Re: Not allowed in Vancouver, Washington

Hey! I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC (Canada). I live in Surrey. As well, our bylaws state that commercial vehicles are not allowed on Residential property.
There aren't many loopholes up here because we require TWO inspections.
The first inspection is mainly engine and brakes, and they dont care much about the interior.
The second inspection is the inside to make sure we have 4/6 things built into it, and that's carried out by our licensing place (ICBC)
I'm lucky because my parents have property and we can keep it there, but if someone reports it, I get a warning and then a fine.

Though, I think in Alberta they don't care either way....
It kinda sucks because I can barely find any canadian skoolie friends!