Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Insurance agent was stumped

I told my insurance agent what I was buying and he said no problem. your car insurance covers you to drive anything for 14 days in addition to your car.

I bought my bus in GA. No way to get an SC temp tag without a title or bill of sale. No way to get a GA temp tag as it was saturday. Inexplicably it had a Louisiana plate. Nobody stopped me anyway (it was Saturday).

I got the bus to private land. It's already partially converted to a motorhome. Today the fun began.

The DMV would not issue an SC title without SC transfer tax being paid. The tax people wouldn't talk to me unless it was insured. My insurance agent typed in the information, found the bus listed and wanted to know the MSRP(who knows - it is a 19 year old bus and Carpenter went bust in 2001) and GVRW (which I remember as being 27,500). After that he said he'd get back to me. Hmm.... Don't think he has a clue. That's state farm. Esurance website like most tyre company websites bombed out when it's not a car.

Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Insurance agent was stumped

My agent came through. Based on 1000 miles annually, a years insurance, fully covered is $214 with State Farm.

I figure on running the bus a couple of times a month to keep it in good shape and i can always raise the mileage.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

This is very typical as you may have read some of us who have contacted SF to get our buses insured were told they don't insure school buses converted or other wise.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Interesting because on the form there's a box "motor homes and custom vehicles only"
Old 11-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I spent a total of 45 min on the phone with an agent talking about what they deem as a motor home and the conversation didn't go very well.

These are also the same people who deem if a truck with a flat bed type bed area as a commercial Vehicle?

They did say they would insure it commercially for close to like 2400 a year? I politely told them you can go screw your self with that price.

I am glad you got it locked in so keep it paid and current and hopefully you stay out of the insurance hell a lot of us are in
Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

It might have helped that I've used state farm and the same agent for 7 years
Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Bus Nut

that seems to be the case some agents know how to get things done and others don't?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Well, it was insured for $214 for the year. It was taxed at $23.72 for the year but use tax came in with a licence plate at $240. Not too bad and a Hell of a lot cheaper than paying rent!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

call it a early Christmas present and move forward.

Good luck with it and keep it current
Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Im keeping it all updated on www.schoolbushome.blogspot.com which i would put in my signature if i knew how.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Good to know Ill keep tabs on it.

It has gotten to the point I've called the same agents others just got theirs insured with and they also tell me that can't insure it. I don't want to put the person who gave me the agents number and say the person X you just insured is up and going… cause I don't want them to get screwed…..

I am just really puzzled at how somethings go through and others do not.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2
Im keeping it all updated on School Bus Home which i would put in my signature if i knew how.
When you are logged in, at the top of the page under the link "Board index" there is a link "User Control Panel." Click on it. When you see the User Control Panel, there are six tabs. Click on the second one named "Profile." This brings up four Edit choices on the left side. The second choice, "Edit Signature," will bring up the form to fill in.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Thanks. Got it working now.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Good to know Ill keep tabs on it.

It has gotten to the point I've called the same agents others just got theirs insured with and they also tell me that can't insure it. I don't want to put the person who gave me the agents number and say the person X you just insured is up and going… cause I don't want them to get screwed…..

I am just really puzzled at how somethings go through and others do not.
I learned through trial and error to give them just the bare minimum of information and hope for the best. Its easy to say the wrong thing, my mom always told me when dealing with govt agencies TMI (too much info) can be a bad thing. Going through a brick and mortar business with a real agent can be a huge help too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Hey Bapos did you ever get your insurance? Who did you end up using if so. I have not tried SF yet but am thinking of not mentioning bus at all....I am about to purchase a Genesis International 99, but need to get info on insurance rates. So far, agencies have said:

1. We don't insure any "school buses or transit buses" that are converted to rvs.
2. We will insure a school bus turned RV but it has to be professionally converted. (apparently they get pictures from the professional...ummm I can send pictures too! **Does anyone know the steps required to be considered a "professional" to insurance? Lots of "professional home builders" in texas but none need licenses to do business...just thinking maybe there is a loop hole there..)

I hope you had better luck this year
thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Just convert it and get an engraved plaque put in it that says "converted by joe bloggs bus conversions of Minnesota". Then say you bought it ready converted and show them the plaque!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
That is a great idea! lol. Seriously. I was wondering if anyone knew the "requirements" companies are looking for that deem a bus "professionally converted". It seems to be easier to register,insure, inspect a bus that was already renovated and registered as an rv...guess it carries more weight. Oh well..I think we will be rebels for a little while and I'm sure we will find a loop hole when the time comes to get "real" insurance, and not something temporary just to move it from A to B to start renovation. I will def post what happens! We are supposed to get our bus Tuesday, fingers crossed!

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #18
Bus Nut

I'm going to complete my conversion, put just such a plate in and get the bus deregistered as a motorhome.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I drove mine to farm beuarue the day after I bought it, seats and yellow, they said cool, grabbed title in-puted info and bamm it spit out a Carp BU or something, they went inside looked, took a few pictures of outside and then it was done

caps on:

IS EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS TRYING TO GET INSURANCE ON THEIR BUSES AS IN FULL/PARTIAL COVERAGE? OR LIKE ME AND OTHERS, WE HAVE LIABILITY AND UNINSURED MOTORIST ONLY??????

Just curious and you are saying it IS A PERSONAL VEHICLE right?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote