Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
Moving to New York, will title and inspection be easy?

Hi all,

Right now I am in New Jersey, and my skoolie is successfully titled/registered as a motorhome with the DMV. I'm eventually moving to NY and am wondering if getting the vehicle registered in another state will be another headache, ie trying to satisfy New York's definition of a 'motorhome', or whether the NJ title (as a Class A Motorhome) will be enough to just get the motorhome classified title.

New Jersey only requires a permanent stove (propane in my case), beds, and a sink. I got those in, but there's no toilet, no waste water tank (just a 5 gallon bucket for proper disposal), no "official" electric, yet (just a bunch of loose batteries and an inverter, tucked into a corner). I'd like to move without having to do a bunch more work to please the motor vehicles.

Also, what happens on vehicle inspection? Do they care about the inside of the motorhome? Ie. if I have a bunch of weird things like electrical wires and a 5 gallon sawdust bucket as a toilet, and a woodstove with a chimney stack through the roof, etc?

is it easy or may I need to jump through more hoops.

Thanks,
Tomas

tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Moving to New York, will title and inspection be easy?

I'm only guessing here, but I think if you title says RV, then all you have to do is transfer it to the new state. That's how it works in Indiana.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

If it's already titled as a motorhome, I think you'll be fine.

That said, don't go to mentioning that you're converting it, or that it's not all done.

I got some hassle getting my bus re-titled here. I ended up getting it titled as a 'house on wheels' because, I was told by the DMV, that the only way they'll retitle as a 'motorhome' is if it has been 'professionally converted'.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Repeat after me...

It's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV, it's an RV.

NEVER use the following words in any type of context: "school bus", "bus", "converted", "self-converted", "home conversion" or "incomplete". In other words shut up. Pretend you have a very sore throat and talk as little as possible. As far as that goes, pop a menthol laden cough drop in your mouth and whisper to the clerk "I'm sorry but I can't talk very loud, I have a sore throat."
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote