Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: CDL

If its registered as a bus, you'll need a CDL. If registered as an RV, you are good to go without one.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

"RV's" are exempt from CDL requirements.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

You don't need a CDL unless the bus has air brakes or is a certain size of GVWR's. I think it's 25,000 but don't quote me on that.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
"RV's" are exempt from CDL requirements.
Check, Lorna tells it as it is.......
Plus CDL requirements are above 26,000 lbs....... unless it's an RV.......
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E

But...if its seated for more than, what is it 7, 9 or 12 head [I forget the right number], CDL needed.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The requirements are absolutely going to vary by state. You should be untouchable, for the most part.

Things that can require a CDL:

Weighing more than 26,000 lbs without RV plates
Having seating for more than 15, including driver
Air brakes without RV plates
Towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs if doing so puts your GCWR over 26,000 lbs

Keep in mind that there are other state requirements. For instance, you might not need a CDL based on weight, but might need a medical card and DOT number depending on what you are doing with it. Guys who race stock cars run into this all the time, even when pulling with their half ton pickups. Some states also have non-commercial higher class licenses for operating non-commercially with air brakes, pulling double trailers, etc.

The best people to ask are state troopers, and specifically, the commercial enforcement folks if you can. Also, remember that as long as you are legal in your home state you are legal anywhere through reciprocity.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

What you guys who are rabid to get a CDL need to keep in mind is that the penalties for a CDL is way stiffer than for a standard drivers license. And these stiffer rules apply even if you are driving your car. My mother worked with a woman who got a CDL for her job. It was not required but if she had the CDL she could be a substitute bus driver for Head Start. Well, one summer weekend, she met up with her hubby in town and they had supper where she drank ONE beer with her meal. Then she drove home. She was pulled at one of Macon county numerous license checkpoints. To make a long story very short, she lost her driving privileges because she had a single beer and a CDL while driving her personal car when school was on vacation for the summer. If she had a regular license she wouldn't have even gotten a warning under NC state laws. Everything is much stricter with a CDL. So do you really want a CDL? I certainly don't.

On edit: This happened in NC.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Your own state may have stiffer penalties, but from a federal level the lower BAC restrictions apply only when operating a commercial vehicle. If you are operating a commercial vehicle you will be parked for 12 or 24 hours (I really can't remember) with no other penalty if you have any alcohol in your system. If your BAC is about .04 they will charge you with a DUI. Neither of these restrictions apply when you are operating a private, non-commercial vehicle unless your state has some very specific rules that are very backwards. Of course states that allow DUI checkpoints are already very backwards on a purely constitutional basis...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54

I have my Class A and in MN the stricter rules only apply whilst operating any vehicle requiring a CDL. There are no special rules as far as I know in MN other than the federal laws regarding a CDL.

If you don't need to have one for your job, don't mess around with getting one. The rules change state by state and you really need to be on top of your game.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I gave up my CDL when I didn't need it anymore. My bus is registered as a motorhome so I don't need one. CDL rules apply to your personal vehicle in California. DUI is BAC of .04 or higher. No traffic school if you get a ticket.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
The requirements are absolutely going to vary by state. You should be untouchable, for the most part.

Things that can require a CDL:

Weighing more than 26,000 lbs without RV plates
Having seating for more than 15, including driver
Air brakes without RV plates
Towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs if doing so puts your GCWR over 26,000 lbs

Keep in mind that there are other state requirements. For instance, you might not need a CDL based on weight, but might need a medical card and DOT number depending on what you are doing with it. Guys who race stock cars run into this all the time, even when pulling with their half ton pickups. Some states also have non-commercial higher class licenses for operating non-commercially with air brakes, pulling double trailers, etc.

The best people to ask are state troopers, and specifically, the commercial enforcement folks if you can. Also, remember that as long as you are legal in your home state you are legal anywhere through reciprocity.
Air brakes do NOT require a CDL. They may change WHICH CDL the driver needs if the vehicle would otherwise need one (bus, 26,001+lb truck), but air brakes alone do not require a CDL. (Note: many large Ryder & Penske trucks have full air brakes!) I work with someone driving an air-brake truck (Ryder, GVWR 26,000) with a regular licence. (Though anything over 10K GVWR driven for hire does require a medical card.)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I gave up my CDL when I didn't need it anymore. My bus is registered as a motorhome so I don't need one. CDL rules apply to your personal vehicle in California. DUI is BAC of .04 or higher. No traffic school if you get a ticket.
DUi should be .01 for everyone. First offense should be 20 years in prison and lifetime licence revocation, second should be a public guillotining.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
DUI should be .01 for everyone. First offense should be 20 years in prison and lifetime license revocation, second should be a public guillotining.
Cell phone use and texting should be right there too! It's getting very dangerous driving on the roads due to the lousy electronic gizmos. They need a DWD designation (Driving While Distracted) and I believe in most states there is an existing law for this!

Stricter DUI laws will never be passed/enforced because every politician & judge will always think... "That could be me. I did have a drink at lunch/dinner then drove home".

(Note: this attitude applies to any law a judge lets a person off easy on in my opinion)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Air brakes do NOT require a CDL. They may change WHICH CDL the driver needs if the vehicle would otherwise need one (bus, 26,001+lb truck), but air brakes alone do not require a CDL. (Note: many large Ryder & Penske trucks have full air brakes!) I work with someone driving an air-brake truck (Ryder, GVWR 26,000) with a regular licence. (Though anything over 10K GVWR driven for hire does require a medical card.)
Air brakes are a restriction on a license. A person must pass the test, and if not, are restricted from operating such a vehicle versus knowledge of the subject matter being required to allow a person to drive that type of vehicle. I know, semantics. And you are correct that air brakes alone do not define the need for a CDL (without restriction) on the Federal level. However, many states require it. California comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others with non-CDL air brakes restrictions.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Bus Geek

RV, vehicles titled as "recreational vehicles", "motorhomes", "house cars" and any other similar designation are EXEMPT from needing CDLs. It is buried in the regs. Look in the EXEMPTIONS. Stop reading just the first paragraph. You may need a slightly different Class of regular license (we didn't in TN for our Eagle Bus... the one with the air brakes and and titled as a Motorhome) but that is a STATE thing.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE

Also take into account the "Commercial" part of CDL.

None of our buses are for commercial use. Start giving people rides in your bus for money... now you might need a CDL.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E

I'm a licensed AZ driver (Tractor Trailer) in Ontario so I've been wondering what the difference is between registering the bus as an RV as opposed to just putting ' not for hire' on the door.
TourTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourTech
I'm a licensed AZ driver (Tractor Trailer) in Ontario so I've been wondering what the difference is between registering the bus as an RV as opposed to just putting ' not for hire' on the door.
A legally tagged/titled RV does not have to stop at a weigh station. If it only says "not for hire" but still a commercial vehicle, sometimes you have to stop and other times you don't. Depends on what state you are in and how they feel about it at that particular minute.

So as a licensed tractor trailer driver... how do you feel about blowing past a set of scales and then saying to the two or more cops that chase you down... "Gee, I didn't know I had to stop, last time I didn't". Think that will fly very far? I've heard the cops in LA (Lower Alabama) just shoot your tires out to save on their fuel costs. That's a joke. I'm sure the Alabama cops wouldn't really shoot your tires out. Not so sure about Mississippi though.

Insurance is supposed to be cheaper as an RV.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Insurance is supposed to be cheaper as an RV.
That would be the reason right there then ;)

I plan on using mine as a cube van/Tour Bus with dual duty as a family RV for when we go away. I'd also like to be able to take the kids on the road with me in the summer months so they can start to see the world a bit. I think that the actual fact that it will have a roll up door on the back and a few meters of cargo space might make it a commercial vehicle in some places though. It's pretty hard to get straight answers on this stuff when you call the Ministry as it isn't what they would call a 'normal' question.
TourTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourTech
I plan on using mine as a cube van/Tour Bus ...
So there's your answer right there. If you use for commercial, you are likely to have to tag as commercial.

For upfront registration... Are you certain that you will use it commercially or is this "I can recoup part of our money back IF" type things. If you are positive that you will definitely use it commercially, then tag/title commercially. If you think you might be able to recoup some of your money back by hiring it out, tag/title as an RV. Easier to change it back later than to spend all that time and insurance money on a "maybe"