Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Maryland requirements?

I emailed the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration) here in Maryland and asked them if they would recognize a converted school bus as an RV/motor home. I received the following response:

Motor Home: "Motor home" means an engine-powered motor vehicle that is designed and constructed primarily to provide living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

Recreational Vehicle: For MVA purposes, the term "recreational vehicle" (RV) refers solely to a vehicle/trailer that is designed and constructed primarily to provide temporary living quarters for recreational purposes, camping, or travel use.

So this does not really help me out. Is there anyone who has converted a bus and got it registered in Maryland?

Also, FYI to anyone considering doing this in Maryland, if your bus is 26,001 pounds or more you will need a noncommercial class B license (there is a special one you can get for the sole purpose of driving an RV). You'll have to supply the vehicle, complete a pre-trip inspection, pass a skills test, all that good stuff. Yuck.

techedtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Re: Maryland requirements?

Yes, but a school bus is designed and constructed to carry passengers, not to serve as living quarters, and this is the argument that I would be afraid that the MVA would make if I attempted to do this. I do not have a bus at this time, and I am quite leery of getting involved if the state will not let me register the vehicle and if I have to spend a lot of money and get special training in order to meet the license requirements. (That and convincing the mrs. to let me do this will be a tall order.) I would love to convert a school bus, and I'm sure I would have a lot of fun (and frustration) in the process, but again unless I can be sure of all the details I am quite hesitant to take the leap.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54

I live in maryland and have a full size conventional 1987 Chevy B-60 Wayne skoolie with a GVW of roughly 25K. A state trooper advised me to register it as an historic vehicle being that its over 20 years old and I rarely drive it. I am gutting the interior and putting in perimeter seating once the weather gets warmer. I do not plan on adding running water or a toilet or even a stove. I have it insured by a local state farm agent with a policy that lets me suspend it when i am not driving it in the winter.

What is your plan for your bus? Where are you in Maryland?
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

I live between Aberdeen and Havre de Grace, up in northeast MD. I do not have a bus right now, and I do not think the mrs. is too amenable to the idea at this time, so this is just a theoretical groundwork-laying exercise at this point in case circumstances change in the future. If I could get a bus, I'd like to get a good-sized Thomas, Amtran, or International diesel pusher with a DT466 or Caterpillar motor. The T444E motor's okay but I would really want to make sure I had enough power for that size bus. But, all this would be in vain if I can't get it registered. I also wouldn't relish having to take a bunch of driver's tests again (especially the ones that involve pre-trip inspections). That's my $.02; good to see another skoolie fan in MD!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

So I e-mailed the MVA back asking for more specifics and got the following reply:

Dear MVA Customer,

The information you requested is available through the link below.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/AboutMVA...htm#Church_bus

Although you will not be registering it as a church bus, the procedure will
be the same.

MD requires painting in a color other than yellow and for the lights and stop sign to be removed. Hope this helps some of you out!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I wanted to bump this up to see if anyone ever did register in the state of MD.
doug38s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Congrates
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

I just bought my bus and found out that you cannot even get temp tags until you repaint in a color other than yellow and for the lights and stop sign to be removed.

They told me I have to tow it around until this work is done. The place I have to work on it requires tags to park it. Now I have no way to get it here and no place to do the work to get my temp tags.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I know this seems really out there as an idea, but you could just "tell them" it is white or blue or green. If they ask for a pic, I am sure that somewhere on the internet could provide you a pic of a similar bus in a color that is not yellow. Now I am not advising you to do anything amoral, if you should do that it is your choice. Also the place you are going to park it.... are they going to run a registration check on it? I am sure they just want to see there is a tag on it. If you happened to have a spare tag somewhere.... jus sayin
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

In Maryland we do not get to keep old tags.

I did find the form VR-905 (03-13). Certification for Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle Registration.

It has a check box for "Been completely converted from a school vehicle, including the removal of all alternately flashing lights and a paint color other than National School Bus Yellow."

An then "I/we certify, under penalty of perjury, that the statements made are true and correct to the best of my/our knowledge and belief" you sign your name.

I see nothing that ask for any verification. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Bus Geek

How in the --ll can you buy a vehicle in maryland from a dealer and not get a tag to get it home as bought?

I can buy anything I can figure out how to move on land and!! I am covered for 72 hours on my insurance....period no exceptions

You need to move south
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I bought it from the school, not a dealer, through an auction site http://www.publicsurplus.com/

The insurance was easy.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Bus Geek

if you have insurance I would just head home.

Good luck today
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Bus Nut

I walked in this moring with the above doc and they handed me my plates good through August. No quested asked.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
I walked in this moring with the above doc and they handed me my plates good through August. No quested asked.

SO.......why are you on here, and not in your bus?

.good luck and be safe...pics are required...........
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Bus Nut

In Maryland you have to be registered under 26,000 lbs to drive with a class C license. When you take out the seats and re-paint it, you can register it as a class M (multipurpose vehicle), weight class -3700 lbs or +3700 lbs. And RV is +3700. It can be driven with class C license.

I just spent 1.5 hrs at the MVA to find out the lady who did my paperwork already had it correct. I’m good to go.

She did say that when I’m finished I should get it weighed. That way if I ever get pulled over and the police officer is having a bad day, I can prove I’m less than 26,000 lbs. She said most don’t check, because even if the RV is rated less than 26,000 lbs, there is no guarantee they have it loaded under that weight.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey View Post
In Maryland you have to be registered under 26,000 lbs to drive with a class C license. When you take out the seats and re-paint it, you can register it as a class M (multipurpose vehicle), weight class -3700 lbs or +3700 lbs. And RV is +3700. It can be driven with class C license.

I just spent 1.5 hrs at the MVA to find out the lady who did my paperwork already had it correct. I’m good to go.

She did say that when I’m finished I should get it weighed. That way if I ever get pulled over and the police officer is having a bad day, I can prove I’m less than 26,000 lbs. She said most don’t check, because even if the RV is rated less than 26,000 lbs, there is no guarantee they have it loaded under that weight.
Does this mean that they just look at the base weight for the tags and title?
DailyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey View Post
I bought it from the school, not a dealer, through an auction site http://www.publicsurplus.com/

The insurance was easy.
Good Evening.
Could you tell me how you insured your bus in Maryland? I'm registered for an auction that starts soon and I'm not having any luck finding someone who will offer me the insurance I need to get it home.
Thanks
Movingon
Movingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #19

hi William -I ran across your post regarding titling. I'm in Maryland too and tomorrow I may purchase a short bus from someone also in Maryland. How did you ever get yours titled because I'm running into the same problem with DMV. They are clueless and don't really give a direct answer. I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck with a bus that I can't move off the seller's property without towing.
wickedgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #20

Hi, I'm also wondering how this process works? Everyone that I've talked with over the phone at the MVA is clueless and due to COVID everything is scheduled by appointment. Scheduling is about 2 weeks out and I don't want to go there and waste my time just to start all over again. So far what I've gathered is that I'll need the title, proof of insurance, and to have completed the VR-905 (03-13) form. Once if do that, I can acquire temp tags. Is this correct?
TMAS6033 is offline   Reply With Quote