Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Iowa Motor home Codes

I had to go look up the codes on a few things here are the Iowa codes as of 2009.

321.1 Definitions of words and phrases.

d. "Motor home" means a motor vehicle designed as an integral unit to be used as a conveyance
upon the public streets and highways and for use as a temporary or recreational dwelling and having at
least four, two of which shall be systems specified in subparagraphs (1), (4), or (5) of this paragraph, of
the following permanently installed systems which meet American national standards institute and
national fire protection association standards in effect on the date of manufacture:
(1) Cooking facilities.
(2) Ice box or mechanical refrigerator.
(3) Potable water supply including plumbing and a sink with faucet either self-contained or with
connections for an external source, or both.
(4) Self-contained toilet or a toilet connected to a plumbing system with connection for external
water disposal, or both.
(5) Heating or air conditioning system or both, separate from the vehicle engine or the vehicle
engine electrical system.
(6) A one hundred ten - one hundred fifteen volt alternating current electrical system separate from
the vehicle engine electrical system either with its own power supply or with a connection for an
external source, or both, or a liquefied petroleum system and supply.

321.456 Height of vehicles.

A vehicle unladen or with load shall not exceed a height of thirteen feet, six inches, except that a vehicle or combination of vehicles coupled together and used exclusively for the transportation of passenger vehicles, light delivery trucks, panel delivery trucks, pickup trucks, or recreational vehicle chassis may operate with a height not to exceed fourteen feet.

321.457 Maximum length.

j. A motor home shall not have an overall length, excluding front and rear bumpers and safety equipment, in excess of forty-five feet.
k. A combination of two vehicles coupled together, one of which is a motor home, shall not have an overall length in excess of sixty-five feet.

321.392 Clearance and identification lights.

Every motor truck, and every trailer or semitrailer of over three thousand pounds gross weight, shall be equipped with the following lighting devices and reflectors in addition to other requirements of this chapter, and such devices shall be lighted at the times mentioned in section 321.384.
1. Every motor truck, whatever its size shall have the following:
a. On each side, one reflector, at or near the rear; and
b. On the rear, two reflectors, one at each side.
2. Every motor truck, eighty inches or more in width shall have the following in addition to the
requirements of subsection 1:
a. If thirty feet or less in overall length:
(1) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side; and
(2) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side.
b. If more than thirty feet in overall length:
(1) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side;
(2) On each side, two side-marker lamps, one at or near the front, and one at or near the rear, and an
additional reflector at or near the front; and
(3) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side.
3. Every truck tractor or road tractor shall have the following: a. On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side if the tractor cab is as wide as, or wider than,
the widest part of the vehicle or vehicles towed; b. On each side, one side-marker lamp at or near the front; and c. On the rear, one tail lamp.
4. Every trailer or semitrailer having a gross weight in excess of three thousand pounds shall have
the following:
a. On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side, if the trailer is wider in its widest part than
the cab of the vehicle towing it;
b. On each side, one side-marker lamp at or near the rear; two reflectors, one at or near the front and
one at or near the rear; and c. On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side; one stop light; one tail lamp; and two
reflectors, one at each side.
5. Every motor truck or combination of motor truck and trailer having a length in excess of thirty
feet or a width in excess of eighty inches shall be equipped with three identification lights on both front and rear. Each such group shall be evenly spaced not less than six nor more than twelve inches apart along a horizontal line near the top of the vehicle.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Iowa Motor home Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
321.456 Height of vehicles.

A vehicle unladen or with load shall not exceed a height of thirteen feet, six inches, except that a vehicle or combination of vehicles coupled together and used exclusively for the transportation of passenger vehicles, light delivery trucks, panel delivery trucks, pickup trucks, or recreational vehicle chassis may operate with a height not to exceed fourteen feet.
That looks to me like they're saying the 14' exception applies to vehicles used to transport cars, light trucks, or RV chassis, meaning car carriers, tow trucks, flatbeds, goosenecks, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: Iowa Motor home Codes

Good point, so I guess if you are pulling a trailer with a car in it you can use the 14' exception.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
Steve,

Who do you use for insurance on your skoolie? I am located in Iowa and am having issues getting mine insured .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
I'm not in IA but I was able to get liability through Allstate here in MI.
lewirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin pre-conversion insurance

For anyone who finds this this thread by search...

I just got my Personal Use of Commercial Vehicle Policy for pre-conversion and during-conversion approved and bound today (5/12/22) through State Farm with full coverage up to $60k.
After conversion they'll re-write as an RV policy.
They've been through this so know what to submit with the application to get it through underwriting. Takes about a week.

Sharing contact info with approval:

[Contact info removed by moderator at poster's request]
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
thanks we are from iowa also and progressive that we had for 5 years decided to not renew even tho we have no tickets or accidents and i have a cdl with every endorsement a guy can have with no tickets or accidents in my truck. only a few million miles accident and ticket free but still they dont want me so ill be calling this guy
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
For anyone who finds this this thread by search...

I just got my Personal Use of Commercial Vehicle Policy for pre-conversion and during-conversion approved and bound today (5/12/22) through State Farm with full coverage up to $60k.
After conversion they'll re-write as an RV policy.
They've been through this so know what to submit with the application to get it through underwriting. Takes about a week.

Sharing contact info with approval:

[Contact info removed by moderator at poster's request]
My agent requested we not share his contact info as he will be unable to help most new clients due to a change in State Farm policy.

See:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/s...tml#post500449
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote