Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Insurance in NJ

Hey, I have been having a little trouble finding someone to insure me in NJ. GMAC doesn't cover in NJ and the numerous other companies I have called have turned me down on the basis of "amateur" conversion. Under their 'guidelines', they will only insure an RV that was a) originally manufactured and titled as an RV or b) converted by a 'professional'. Anyone know of an insurance company that could do it, or possibly just a way around this bullshit.

Thanks

amorris290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #2

Re: Insurance in NJ

pretty screwed, ehh? The worst part is Progressive said they would insure me before I even bought the bus, however, after I purchased it, and called them back to begin the insurance plan, they would no longer do it. I'm only giving this a few more weeks of frustration, then my newly acquired bus will be up for sale.
amorris290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Try http://www.goodsamrvinsurance.com/ and see if you have any better luck.

hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #4

Year: 1984
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66

As anyone found insurance in NJ yet??? I'm having the same problem.
navarredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

have you tried neighboring state? might use a PO box in the next state ?

Start your own bus conversion company,,,,hahahaha

good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #6

Year: 1984
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66

OK now we originally had progressive RV insurance that got canceled a few weeks after it was issued....but now I called progressive commercial and told them everything, and they gave me a policy for $670/yr I guess ill just wait and see if they cancel me again, but at least I'm legal for the Philly Folk Fest!
navarredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Convert it to a motorhome and tell them it's a motorhome. Don't use the word bus and be vague. I did that.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55

I got the same bullcrap from several places given that it's a 'custom' motorhome done by a non-professional. I still haven't done the work so I'm waiting until it's done.

Honestly I'm a bit frustrated that they didn't even suggest that someone take a look at the vehicle or I get signoff by a professional.

After it's done, I'm going to first get the title switched to a motorhome class. Then when I call for insurance, I'm going to avoid saying anything about it being 'custom' and just ask if there's a way to have just 'liability' insurance like on cars - meaning they don't cover any damage or replacement to the vehicle, only pay for hospital bills, etc. At that point it really shouldn't matter what's on the INSIDE of the vehicle or what I've done to modify it as long as it's not mechanical or to the safety of the drivablity of the vehicle. I'm not making any suspension, body, brakes, engine, transmission, etc changes, so it shouldn't matter to them what's on the inside or who put it there.

Either way I won't tell them about the 'conversion' and just tell them that the vehicle is a "Ford B-800", not a 'former school bus' or whatever. And if they ask about it not normally being a motorhome, I'd say that's how I got it anyway, and I'm assuming the previous owner is a professional, or just say that it was sold as-is by the auto dealer. I honestly don't care if they resist replacing stuff on the inside, as long as they cover the medical portion, at least for legalities sake. This thing weighs 15,000 lbs so I'm not worried about interior damage in an accident. If there's an accident, I'd be more worried about the OTHER guy.

Worst comes to worst, I might suggest that I can get an RV mechanic/repair shop to take a look at it and give their stamp of approval. I'm assuming they'd know the details of how to safely build the thing and so I'd ask them anyway about any regulations I should follow.

I don't know if any of it's going to work, though, but it's worth a try, and as long as I don't have the anxiety of the conversion process, then I can better face the resistance.
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

I'd call Chris Christies office and report how you are getting loblollied by P. If he won't take care of it vote with your feet and say sianara nj.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

What did you explain to Progressive Commercial to get insured? Did you say it was a motorhome? Or a school bus?

I was just on the phone with them and they said commercially, motorhomes cannot be used (as a living environment) for more than 30 days out of the year - it's like for a very limited use situation within some business environment.

I also asked about using it as a (school or other) 'bus' and they said they can't insure it unless it's used for business purposes, ie as a fundamental part of the business operations (ie transporting people, etc). Personal use would disqualify it.

Maybe there is a savvy way to explain it to their commercial division so they insure you without getting the feeling you're using it for personal reasons. For me, I'm a web developer, and I plan on living in it F/T, and theoretically, I could say it's a part of my business (being a 'motorhome'), but I'd have to lie about how much I use it as living facilities. I'd have to say I go one a 2 day trip once a month, at MOST. Which isn't my case.

The online quoting system on Progressive Commercial let me quote it as a 'school bus', but it was quoting $150/month, which seemed really steep.

Should I just lie? And if so, what do I say?

GMAC unfortunately does not insure in NJ. The ironic thing is that I don't intend on remaining in NJ long-term. I was originally planning on moving to upstate NY, but I don't have any sort of address in that area. Even if I open a PO Box I think they want a physical address, which I don't have. The title and plates are also NJ ones, and I don't want to switch them over quite yet.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Skoolie

I'm having the darndest time getting anybody to want to insure me in NJ. Since I'm moving to upstate NY anyway (kinda need a motorhome to live in for a place to stay, though), I thought I'd go with GMAC and just tell them I had a (fake) NY address. They need proof of residence, though - and so my options seem to be:

A) Get a NY drivers license
B) Get a NY bank account with address listed
C) Get a bill with a NY address.

Problem is wherever I'm staying will never have mail delivery (ie public or raw land), and PO Boxes aren't good enough - anybody from out of state can get them. So it seems like the best option is to get the drivers license in NY. I live in South Jersey right now and plan on living in upstate NY (Ithaca), so a 4 hour trip for the DMV is a bit unrealistic, especially when they're only open on weekdays. I have kids that go to school in NJ and so it's not realistic. But I may be able to drive up to Staten Island and back before the kids get out of school.

I've been trying to call the main number at NY's DMV but they are dropping the call due to high call volume, etc. So far they indicate they just need proof of identity, but it includes either a passport or original birth certificate! I'm not quite sure if they need address verification (there seemed an indication they might not), but I'll ask.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Bus Geek

If you go that route bring everything you can think of to verify identiy etc,DL,passport,gov. ID,even a debit card with your pic on it if they ask for it pull it out.
Don't drop a pile of id stuff in front of them at one time tho...might look weird.
Good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Skoolie

The NY DMV seems to need that 6-point identification system - ie original birth certificate + social security + marriage certificate + bank statement (of any state), etc...

They don't ask to verify residency (thankfully), but they also won't hand out the permanent drivers license like they do (or did) in NJ. You get a temp license and they send the permanent one in the mail. They won't mail to a PO Box, but giving them an 'alternative address' (the excuse being that the property in NY does not have mail delivery), an out-of-state address (especially with bordering state NJ) seems sufficient - at least that's what they said on the phone. I can at least send it to my current house in NJ that I'm foreclosing on. I guess they just need a paper trail, for 'security' reasons. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

I'm sorry but NJ and all of its liberal regulations over the years are just the worst. I've had my skoolie for 3 years now and just TODAY switched it to Commercial Insurance. So much easier and feel much better. Just call up an insurance company like Progressive, or some others. Be honest, tell them you have a bus and it is supposed to be insured as a commercial vehicle if they tell you that isn't the case hang up and try for a different person. You insure it and register it commercially and now you can do whatever the heck you want to it. I'm going to get a new registration card and plates tomorrow. The previos two years I managed to tell companies it was a motorhome, but I was vague and felt uncomfortable doing that because you know how insurance companies are. It also isn't that expensive. Motorhome insurance is definitely cheaper, but I think Progressive was $1500 for the year, wheras motorhome is probably $800.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #15

Year: 1993
Chassis: International Schoolmaster
Engine: 7.3L
Rated Cap: 24

**** if i knew we all have the same problem. Progressive insured us for about 2 weeks before cutting us off. Being vague and telling them you are a motorhome might appear to solve problems, but in the case of an accident I would guarantee you wont be covered, and they'll tell you to go **** yourselves. We have a big insurance hot shot working on the case for us and i will let you all know what comes of it when it gets figured out.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Skoolie

Insuring as a commercial vehicle seems overkill (and maybe foolish), if you're going to be spending twice as much on the insurance.

I've tried to get insurance in New York state with GMAC, which went well, but my move to NY is taking longer than expected and so I never registered my vehicles in New York. Now they want proof from the DMV that I registered the vehicles. Which I didn't. And I don't have time to deal with that, with a 2 hour drive each way to NYS.

I apparently have until next Tuesday to get it resolved or my policy with GMAC gets canceled. Realistically either I find someone else who does skoolies in NJ, or I let go of the idea of the skoolie for a few months until I can move to NYS. My holdup is the whole job thing, I was anticipating at-home work but that's taking longer than expected.

As a warning to anyone who may register their vehicle out of state from where they really are, the insurance company will eventually (1-3 months) verify with the DMV that the vehicle is registered in the state. Registration requires inspections and a new title, which they will ONLY send in the mail. They won't hand it to you like they will your license or plates. So it needs to be an accessible address that isn't too far away.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an address they're willing to share in a closer state nearby (Delaware or Pennsylvania, about 30 minutes away instead of 2 hours) where I can bother with this all.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

*bump*

Question for the NJ members- have you guys gotten any of your insurance woes resolved or how did you skate around the whole "school bus" issue?

Edit-

Anyone have or get a quote from AIS before?

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73

I'm in Texas,
When I first got my bus I did a title only transfer, was only 20 bucks and it just switched the title to me without registering it or switching it to an Rv, I had already run the VIN online and it did not show that it was stolen but I wanted to make sure,
You certainly want to get a full copy of the DVM and the vehicle titling manual, it is likely that the govt employees will have never done an RV conversion and may think it is not possible,
I have read in the past that progressive never does RV insurance, many will get the insurance online and it always gets cancelled in a few weeks after a person looks at it, but some have used this method to get a 2 week temp policy so they can drive it home,
I wonder if it would work for commercial insurance only to say it is an empty bus only used for storage and transporting tools and stuff, just thinking out loud here, I am also not sure if this would effect what type of drivers license you might need if pulled over and have a non commercial drivers license with a commercial insurance policy,
Be careful with driving a vehicle that is not registered/titled properly since if you get pulled over by the police they may not let you drive it away and may decide to tow it to the impound lot, it also means that even if you get insurance and get in a wreck if the insurance company finds out the vehicle is not totally legal they will cancel the policy and you will be on the hook for any damages,
If you are going to work in NY is their a way to use your employers address, just being friends with the secretary or whom ever gets the mail might work,
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

That's why I'm asking the community *before* I get my bus, Bubb, especially us who are in the great lawsuit state of New Jersey. I'd rather have my ducks in a row before driving out to East Bumblefrack, WE to pick it up.

Has anyone checked with their local Farmers' agent about insurance? I'm going to check with mine today, and be fairly honest to him- that I'm looking for a bus, but it will be registered as an RV, and have most if not all of the seats ripped out for "tailgating".

Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Just talked to Good Sam, $352/year for liability for NJ. Epic...