Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Midwest get-together ??

My wife and I have purchased a small farm and are more than willing to host a Midwest Skoolie gathering. The site has limited electrical hookup potential, meaning probably no juice hogging appliances like A/C etc. The easily accessible space available could accommodate approximately 20 skoolies easily without getting too crazy with leveling blocks and what-not. If it's not too wet and your rig has a bit of clearance there is a ton of parking space across the road in the meadow.

Address of tentative event.
20185 Quaker Rd
Albany MN 56307-9317

Date of tentative event:
August 14-?? 2015

Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Midwest get-together ??

Bamper, I'd like to thank you for your offer to organize/"even host" a bus get together. In particular I'd like to thank you for the no strings attached approach--like asking others for input as to location and so forth. I'm trying to get my SKOOLIE done for a short trip to Yosemite in June, 2014 and then a longer run after that. Since I'm in So Ca I don't have any "local" ideas to share but since I was born on the shores of Lake M all this sounds to me like going home. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Skoolie

This is the site that would accommadate as many as we have attending if I were to host.

The large green areas are meadow's and can be quite spongy if we get a lot of rain.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 6.6L Brazilian Ford
Rated Cap: 1

I couldn't do it anymore this year; but I'd be game next year. I got a little farm over by Milbank, SD

gus
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Skoolie

I wasn't thinking this year anymore either. If we did something early August that would work great with my many schedules. There aren't really a whole lot of crops ready to harvest early august plus there's a chance that it won't be stupid hot and sticky with temps being comfortable at night.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ward
Engine: 6.6L Brazilian Ford
Rated Cap: 1

I could make that work; it'd be before school starts too.

gus
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74

I'll bring this back to the top. Any interest or dates yet ? I'm in central Iowa and would be willing to attend even help hammer out some details.
Mike
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #8

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: C50
Engine: Chevy small block 327

I'm new, but I'd love to meet up sometime! We're in the Twin Cities (Minnesota), and we're going to be living in our bus full time starting in October. We're headed to Burning Man over Labor Day, so any time other than that, we're pretty much free.
CraftyCay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Skoolie

What a good idea! I have a friend who has a very large acreage north of Des Moines, IA. I'll hit him up and see if he has an interest in hosting a fleet of skoolies. Huge pond on his property with a few paddleboats and canoes. Not sure if the pond is stocked with anything worth catching. He has a nice windbreak of trees on the west of his property so we wouldn't have to bake out in the hot sun all day.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74

I'm ready for the get together. Lets get a date confirmed.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Maybe mid/late September?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Skoolie

How's about a location as well perhaps ??

I know I voulenteered last year to set stuff up but I'm in the process of buying another farm and selling my house AND switching jobs so my life is a little crazy at the moment. HOWEVER, if we do it close by in central MN I'll do everything in my power to secure us either a public campground type place or a space on some private land somewhere.

If we do it at my farm there will surely be enough power, enough parking for everyone's rigs and nice views with relative peace and quite. End of September/early October I start harvesting so I'm out for hosting or attending if it's set that late.

Search for "pelican lake st anna mn" and you'll be approximately one mile north of where my first posted picture was taken.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Here's something we found. Granted we tend to live in the SE US where our campgrounds tend to be open year round or only closed for a few months of the winter.

After Labour Day weekend and before Memorial Day weekend, the public campgrounds tend to be virtually deserted due to school. I know this because, not only did we go camping for decades in public campgrounds all winter long but we also have lived long term in public campgrounds in the off season. There were times in Ga Vets that we were the only paying guests in the park! Thanksgiving weekend would fill up a bit but even Christmas was kinda quiet.

Also, many of the parks in the Southern Appalachians are still open, just no water/electric hookups and the Bathhouses are closed. But the campground itself is actually open for self-contained (and reduced price in some cases). I don't know about up North. Only been up that way a few times and at that only once with the pop-up for a convention (Niagara Falls.... "Slowly I turned") where we stayed in a full facility campground... somewhere.

I suggest that as you folks go camping in your buses, you add these places to the board here as skooie friendly (State: town - park name format in subject line for ease in looking up) and also note if you think it would be a good place for a gathering. That will help in locating a place for a gathering. Personally, I think that saying "We will be having a gathering at XYZ campground on these dates. Anyone in the area is welcome to attend" would be better than having a formal gathering. Especially if it became an annual thing like "2nd weekend in October". Most any public park is skoolie friendly and I doubt would object to a gathering in the off season.

There are also many very nice public campgrounds that are not heavily visited even during the summer due to location. Perhaps some skoolies can go visiting and leave a review for these parks. If you talk to the park rangers, they will tell you when they are busy and when they are empty. They would love a gathering.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #14

Is the place Sara is suggesting in IA to far?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Skoolie

Apparently my friend planted corn on the acreage I discussed in an earlier post, so no-go on that.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #16

Well, would people be willing to drive to central MN? I know I would, haha. Bamper, if we used your land, what time frame would work for you? The beginning of September? I'm still getting the hang of 'on the road' living, so I'm not really an ideal candidate to find a location, but I'm happy to make phone calls and generally organize the chaos as needed.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
Skoolie

I'm all for planning and hosting an event but the only weekend that I'm not DJ'ing or working is labor day weekend and we've already got big plans for Fergus to trek across a few states and see if we can't get lost. My father and I just purchased a new continuous flow grain dryer and have a lot of work to do to get the whole system up and running before harvest. Every free moment for the next 6-8 weeks will be spent on that crazy project.

I will plan and organize an event on the farm my wife and I are in the process of purchasing for next fall sometime. How's about we shoot for August 14-16, 2015. Put it on the calendar and as we get into 2015 I'll nail more details down as I'll kowethe property better and what we can all do there.

I'm all in to help find something else up here if there is actual interest.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
Skoolie

Well we have purchased a 60 acre farm and are more than willing to host an event next fall if there's interest.
There is a lot of meadow ground across from the buildings and a lot of it would be fine to park on if it hasn't been too wet a year.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Bamper, you are a brave man . Don't know if my old skoolie would make it but I'd sure give it a try. It would be helpful if this thread were kept current (like weekly) and we all chimed in. I'm in Kalif so I'd need to start making arrangements for places to stay in route coming and going pretty soon. Jack

PS do we have to pick cotton or anything? I've done that . HA HA
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

If Jack is going, I would see if I could scrape up the fuel money to go. That's likely as close as we'll ever get to each other.

Jack,

check out boondockers.com it has listings of people who are willing to let you park at their place for free when you are traveling. Some have water
and electricity available. I have a spot with 50A available listed on the site.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote