Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
FROM TRANQUILITY TO PLEASANTON: A CROWN STORY.

In recent weeks there has been much angst in pursuit of the purchase of a Crown: That story is a locked thread these days and rightfully so:

I'd just like to share a story about a Crown purchase that went well: A purchase that brought together the Esprit Du Corp of the Crown community: No false representations, no manufactured illusions to a bus that had never been driven and no convoluted contradictory representations: Just a nice clean sale, and the eventual saving of a Crown from the Scrapper and good will, good vibes and a beautiful fast Crown:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 450&type=1

Attached Thumbnails
tanquility3.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: FROM TRANQUILITY TO PLEASANTON: A CROWN STORY.

Just can't leave it alone, can you?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal

I wasn't aware there are topics I should avoid, or that I might be required to temper what I say to comport to the tastes of a select few.

I also wasn't aware that I would be asked to contend with a self appointed pseudo morality police: Let it Go............resurrect it. Up to you.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
Bus Geek

does it have a rear door on the drivers side?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
That's the emergency door, ours is the same. The back window also lifts in case of emergency or abundance of awesome.

I'm glad this bus got saved!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Is the door big enough to actually use for access on a daily basis?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
Quote:
That's the emergency door, ours is the same. The back window also lifts in case of emergency or abundance of awesome.

If it were about contending with an "abundance of awesome" I'd have that door removed and keep all the windows open. I've seen photo's of your Crown. What's your drive train? looks nice after the paint. keep at it. Moki

"Live the Dream but keep it under your hat. Wildebeests with their noses in the dirt and the burdensome weight of their yoke do not relish, appreciate or desire to see deer running free nibbling at the fruit on the other side of their pig pen.........." A very awesome guy said that. He can drive my bus anytime...........
Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
Quote:

If it were about contending with an "abundance of awesome" I'd have that door removed and keep all the windows open. I've seen photo's of your Crown. What's your drive train? looks nice after the paint. keep at it. Moki

"Live the Dream but keep it under your hat. Wildebeests with their noses in the dirt and the burdensome weight of their yoke do not relish, appreciate or desire to see deer running free nibbling at the fruit on the other side of their pig pen.........." A very awesome guy said that. He can drive my bus anytime...........
Thank you! It still needs a little touching up but it's too frigging cold. Detroit Diesel 6-71 5 speed. She'll only go 55 but gets almost 15mpg... Plus we're in no hurry

Bansil: it's surprisingly big, and if there were a ledge I could probably duck out pretty easily, but I'm only 5'2"
We're going to build a screen door for ours so we can open it while parked. If we back up our truck (89 Ranger now) to the E door, the bottom edge of the door just barely touches the bed, and you can easily rest your feet in the bed of the truck.
(Like how I measure things? By reference!)

Moki: are you going to convert this one or just preserve it?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Bus Geek

thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Inkblot? Is your 671 turbo charged? if so you you be doing far better than 55......The Turbo's can be taken to 325 with different injectors and advancing the timing a bit to accommodate and burn more fuel efficiently: Less Smoke.........this will not detract from the longevity of the engine, and should not require any additional cooling.

And Bansi? I'm not much into the conventional notion of Camperization: I much prefer the cottage approach. A rolling entertainment center Living room: With cooking and showering done outside the Crown as to minimize odors, and moisture: In the past I've always wanted plenty of power, in terms of electricy: So after the Seats go the next step is dedicated battery bank and a 6000 watt minimum inverter with a peak at about 8000 watts. Once I have power all my mods can be done on the fly. So I don't need to be locked into location. I also install a battery conditioner/charger and as well a portable Honda EU1000 strictly for emergency use.

And I also tap my air tank and run an air hose and fitting and it gets secreted behind the front bumper for air tools. I don't have the luxury having the Coach's in front of me: I so while on Vacation I accomplish what I can in the first week in terms of mods, and then head off into the wild, and enjoy the ride. But soon I will have much free time to do all the fun things I want: It's been a dream for a very long time to just travel and go in my own little incubus..............Moki
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Quote:
In recent weeks there has been much angst in pursuit of the purchase of a Crown: That story is a locked thread these days and rightfully so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
I wasn't aware there are topics I should avoid, or that I might be required to temper what I say to comport to the tastes of a select few.

I also wasn't aware that I would be asked to contend with a self appointed pseudo morality police: Let it Go............resurrect it. Up to you.
Lol... He was referencing the overly dramatic way you keep referencing the thread, how it is locked, etc..., like it is some grand story to reminisce about. It's a school bus. You wanted info on it. There was some confusion. Yes, much angst. At least, that's what I would guess he was getting at.

Anyway, the bus in the story looks nice!
I can't really be concerned with the petty requirement to levy some further judgment upon me; predicated on the false foot of responding to a thread. If you have something to contribute relevant to the thread, as others have done that's all good. But the furtherance of the same garbage you disdainfully accuse me of doing speaks more about you. I surely don't need you to explain me. You don't like me, you don't like what I say or how I say it. Cool. Your prerogative: Your presence on a thread I created Isn't required. Some of you folks feel that this board is yours: That you have some expressed entitlement to proselytize and drone on like you are the guardians of some presumed integrity inherent:

I view it entirely differently. I view these meddlesome petty interjections you feel compelled to make as bothersome annoyances many aren't willing to suffer. You do not possess a benevolent intelligence that mandates a correction of my posts, or the explanation of others. All are equipped to do that if inclined. That you presume to do it, and feel you have an inherent legitimacy in doing so is ridiculous.

This thread was moving along just fine. On topic. People conversing with one another. Actual Dialogue. Then you bounce it and it all changes. Is that your game?

Now follow up with something equally ignorant. You're so important. So enlightened. hurry now. We really can't wait for the next brilliant installment.........Moki
Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Ummm... I'm not really quite sure how to respond to this, other than to say I'm sorry I pissed you off, Moki. I'm sure the thread will keep moving along fine. I don't mind you, just find your posts a bit odd and dramatic. Anywho, carry on. I won't bother you anymore. I could even delete the post if you want.

One I'm not pissed off! Two I just find the incessant posts by a core group of members of this board addressing the manner in which I express myself to be extremely tedious. And of little purpose. "just find your posts a bit odd and dramatic.

This the second time now you have expressed this sentiment in this thread alone. Let's just accept. I am odd. Let's just accept that I express myself as I do. You see it as dramatic, some see it as rude, and some have not portrayed it in any particular light. I see it as pretty much a matter of style. But what is clear is these "critiques" come from a coterie of three people. What's up with that? It's like so high school, like some kind of a click of kids who resent the new boy in school......... Let's get personal style and what you think about that style off the front line of my posts and try to be productive and pleasant. I'm not the topic of my posts........in this instance it is the saving of a Crown and the coming together of a community of Crown owners and aficionados to accomplish it. That's it. Am I still affected by the thread that brought me back? Of course. Do I think the guy who posted it is an imbecile? Would I have liked it to have been otherwise? Absolutely. I just tell it the way I see it: And there comes a time when being PC simply doesn't get it done.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Moki, I am deleting my posts. I feel you are derailing your thread far more than any comments from me, but that's obviously your prerogative. You quoted my comments, so it is completely your call as to whether or not you want to leave your thread muddied. I am giving you the chance to put it back on track. If you delete your comments, I will delete this post as well. This is my last post in this thread.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Entirely your prerogative JakeC.......It's all a very minor movement in my estimation. Threads go as they go: You've as much right as I to express yourself. I've as much right to disagree. We are presumably all grown up here and we cannot be expected to agree on all things: We all have a passion for our Buses. And there is far more that binds us than separates us.

This is an imperfect forum stuff can go south, words can be misinterpreted, misspoken, take on character or leave character out: They don't call them threads for nothing. They are basic tenuous components that are designed to form a tapestry. So I have no ill will whatsoever. That's a fact. You can stay you can go as you please. Aloha..........Moki ,
Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Inkblot? Is your 671 turbo charged? if so you you be doing far better than 55......The Turbo's can be taken to 325 with different injectors and advancing the timing a bit to accommodate and burn more fuel efficiently: Less Smoke.........this will not detract from the longevity of the engine, and should not require any additional cooling.

And Bansi? I'm not much into the conventional notion of Camperization: I much prefer the cottage approach. A rolling entertainment center Living room: With cooking and showering done outside the Crown as to minimize odors, and moisture: In the past I've always wanted plenty of power, in terms of electricy: So after the Seats go the next step is dedicated battery bank and a 6000 watt minimum inverter with a peak at about 8000 watts. Once I have power all my mods can be done on the fly. So I don't need to be locked into location. I also install a battery conditioner/charger and as well a portable Honda EU1000 strictly for emergency use.

And I also tap my air tank and run an air hose and fitting and it gets secreted behind the front bumper for air tools. I don't have the luxury having the Coach's in front of me: I so while on Vacation I accomplish what I can in the first week in terms of mods, and then head off into the wild, and enjoy the ride. But soon I will have much free time to do all the fun things I want: It's been a dream for a very long time to just travel and go in my own little incubus..............Moki
Sounds like you have a good plan Moki. And no, it's not turbocharged but we're cool with that. Thankfully it hardly smokes at all. I'm sure it's possible to add a turbo but we're trying not to do any modifications like that. This old gal runs like a dream so we'll stick with it! Plus.. There's no way we can get a speeding ticket at the moment

Good tip on tapping the air tank!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Inkblot

Well you can't always turbo charge a 671........it's likely you might be able to. But you would need to know that the correct pistons are there, and whether there are oil squirters to the bottom of the pistons: Even with out those you could turbo, but you would also have to run a pyrometer and keep an eye on temps.

Also another thing you could do is add larger injectors and have the timing advanced a bit..........thats good for some additional HP.........

But if your happy how it sits that's the most important thing. I just have the need for speed. On the other hand your engine, as it sits will likely last longer than you. Just be sure you change your filters and run straight weight Delo 100 in there, no multigrades, and make sure you keep your eye on the ph of your coolant. As the wrong PH can cause cavitation in your cylinder liners...........most of all enjoy the ride......Moki