Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Prepping for the Journey - Picking up my Skoolie

Hello!

Two weeks from tomorrow, my father and I will fly to Florida to pick up the bus that my partner and I will be building to live in. The bus is low miles and in great mechanical condition, professionally converted to run off veggie oil, etc. My friend will be filling the 80 gallon veggie tank for us and we will spend a couple days down there getting to know the bus, it's conditions, the veggie oil system, etc.

My question is... what kinds of things would you bring along for the journey? Things like tools, fuel filters (for veggie system and diesel), etc? The bus is a 5.9 Cummins powered Bluebird.

Next week, I have to get insurance for the drive, AAA, etc. But I am wondering what other kinds of things I should take down with me. Any special tools beyond basic hand tools?

Thanks in advance for your help!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Prepping for the Journey - Picking up my Skoolie

Look into Passport America. I traveled cross country and back in 2012 and it saved me alot of money. Stayed in some campgrounds for as cheap as $5 a night with full hookup. Where in Florida are you getting your bus from? If you are traveling 95 and headed North and have any problems around Savannah, let me know, I will come help.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Since you're flying I would think you would be severely limited on what you would be able to take. If you absolutely must take something. Duct tape,medium size crescent wrench, 12v test light, and screwdrivers. Fuel filters are big, buy them when you get there. I don't think I would use veggie fuel on the trip home. At your first fuel stop get some Howes fuel treatment and add double the recommendation. If you're coming north the fuel you buy in Fl and GA won't have the treatment necessary for up north. Each time you buy fuel add more treatment at the recommended amount. Better safe than sorry, you can't really add too much, and it helps clean and take out any water that might be in there.

I drove mine from AZ to IN in February. Bought cheap blankets at Stucky's and a styrofoam cooler, ham and bread, and took off. Slept and ate in the bus. One of the best trips ever.

Good luck and drive safe.
Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Duct tape.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Since you're flying I would think you would be severely limited on what you would be able to take. If you absolutely must take something. Duct tape,medium size crescent wrench, 12v test light, and screwdrivers. Fuel filters are big, buy them when you get there.
I was planning on buying filters down there. Should have elaborated a bit more! I guess what I really needed to say is what will I need for the trip home?!?

Quote:
I don't think I would use veggie fuel on the trip home. At your first fuel stop get some Howes fuel treatment and add double the recommendation. If you're coming north the fuel you buy in Fl and GA won't have the treatment necessary for up north. Each time you buy fuel add more treatment at the recommended amount. Better safe than sorry, you can't really add too much, and it helps clean and take out any water that might be in there.
Can you elaborate more on the purpose of the fuel treatment? I will be driving it from Florida to Michigan in mid March.

Also... knowing this info, would you still suggest no veggie? The veggie system is a professional installation and when I was down there a couple weeks ago, I went over the system with the mechanic who built and installed it. It uses a Racor fuel filter and water trap system off a semi truck that seems to be pretty solid, is a very clean install and was properly built, has WVO heating via the engine, etc. The previous owner only ever bought filtered WVO or SVO. They never went up to a restaurant and did it themselves. The bus has been driven around the country on several occasions on WVO. The previous owner is also taking it to his filtered WVO supplier to fill the WVO tank for us. The engine, trans, IP, etc. are all original with 93,000 miles on it. 5.9 Cummins. I would love to hear more thoughts.

Quote:
I drove mine from AZ to IN in February. Bought cheap blankets at Stucky's and a styrofoam cooler, ham and bread, and took off. Slept and ate in the bus. One of the best trips ever.

Good luck and drive safe.
Dick
Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for your advice. Also... I'd sleep in the bus, but I don't think my father would prefer that. I can pretty much guess we will be sleeping in hotels! It will be awesome to do the road trip with my Dad!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

80 gallons of veggie ain't getting you home, I would run diesel home

Fuel filters are good, the big pure ones under bus in the middle

On mine I pressurized the fuel tank two times I swapped them, the lift pump on engine wouldn't do the job or I was just a numb thumb wuss

Have some cash $100 and a couple PCs of plastic, enjoy the trip if you get tired stop and relax....you coming thru my area headen north?
Tn/va/nc like bristol tn/va let me know pm me

Check obvious tires andbelts
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Diesel fuel is a know quantity, more or less, veggie oil isn't. Did the converter ever drive it where the temps are cold? I'm not saying veggie is bad, more power to you if you
want to mess with it. I have no idea of your or your fathers ability or desire to fix things on the road, in the cold, at night, in the snow or rain, with few or no tools to speak of.
I've done all of that stuff, and in my old age have no desire to do it again. And I do know how all that stuff works, and have the ability to fix it.
Quote:
Can you elaborate more on the purpose of the fuel treatment? I will be driving it from Florida to Michigan in mid March.
Diesel fuel is blended to work good in the area where it is sold. Diesel in the south is NOT blended to work in the north in the winter time.The fuel treatment
makes the southern stuff work up here where the Ice Man lives. ( I have no idea of its effect on veggie fuel) It will also help disperse any water that may be in the tanks. The only time I
ever had fuel troubles in the truck was when I bought fuel in the south and drove north. I once did 100 degree change in two days. Eighty in South FL and
-20 in WI.

This is only my opinion. It is after all your adventure.
Good luck on your trip.
Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I ain't scared of the veggie. Something you will need to have with you-now + in the future-a gallon jug of veg to fill any filter you'll change. I have a kit in a plastic shoe box near my back door-a filter-the jug of oil-a few paper towels + a filter wrench--and a zip lock baggie.(to put the old filter in.) I also have one of those plastic containers with a screw on lid on the side for oil changes. I can do a filter change roadside in under 2 minutes. And not spill a drop. But you dont have to -just throw the switch + your on diesel.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
80 gallons of veggie ain't getting you home, I would run diesel home

Fuel filters are good, the big pure ones under bus in the middle

On mine I pressurized the fuel tank two times I swapped them, the lift pump on engine wouldn't do the job or I was just a numb thumb wuss

Have some cash $100 and a couple PCs of plastic, enjoy the trip if you get tired stop and relax....you coming thru my area headen north?
Tn/va/nc like bristol tn/va let me know pm me

Check obvious tires andbelts
I know 80 gallons won't get us home, but it will reduce the cost by ~$300+ That's a lot of interior upgrades when I get home!

We will likely be coming through Tennessee. I don't know the route yet, but will definitely keep it in mind!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Diesel fuel is a know quantity, more or less, veggie oil isn't. Did the converter ever drive it where the temps are cold? I'm not saying veggie is bad, more power to you if you
want to mess with it. I have no idea of your or your fathers ability or desire to fix things on the road, in the cold, at night, in the snow or rain, with few or no tools to speak of.
I've done all of that stuff, and in my old age have no desire to do it again. And I do know how all that stuff works, and have the ability to fix it.
Quote:
Diesel fuel is blended to work good in the area where it is sold. Diesel in the south is NOT blended to work in the north in the winter time.The fuel treatment
makes the southern stuff work up here where the Ice Man lives. ( I have no idea of its effect on veggie fuel) It will also help disperse any water that may be in the tanks. The only time I
ever had fuel troubles in the truck was when I bought fuel in the south and drove north. I once did 100 degree change in two days. Eighty in South FL and
-20 in WI.

This is only my opinion. It is after all your adventure.
Good luck on your trip.
Dick
I do have the ability and willingness to do small things on the road (but obviously would prefer event-free driving!). I drove a 77 VW around the country 7 times and lived in it. I got pretty handy at roadside repairs! I even had to swap the clutch out mid-road trip once. Found a fellow VW nut and we did it together in his garage He let me sleep on his sailboat in the Berkeley Marina while we did it!

I did not know that about Diesel oil blends. I will definitely pick up some fuel treatmen. Thanks for the advice!

PS: On the known quantity issue... the veggie oil tank has been custom built so it has a visual fuel level "guage". One can tell how much oil is in the tank just by glancing at it. The tank is right behind the drivers seat. Pretty convenient!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Skoolie

Well... Sitting in Florida. The final test drive brought some issues up to the surface that seem to be fuel related, possibly injection pump. Not wanting to deal with potential repairs and risking a cross country drive, I decided to follow my gut and pass on the bus. It wasn't an easy decision after flying down here for it but I think it was a solid choice. The hunt continues!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
Bus Geek

it'll work out
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
it'll work out

Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Sorry it didnt work, but look at the bright side; you saved yourself from veggie fuel problems.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Sorry it didnt work, but look at the bright side; you saved yourself from veggie fuel problems.
Definitely! My guess is he had injection pump issues the more and more I looked into it. It had the VE Rotary pump. Seems to me like the pump is dying its slow death.

After reading more and more the past few weeks, I am going to be building my own centrifuge-based filtration systems. Not knowing mechanics and how this stuff works, the owner of the bus would buy or secure free filtered veggie oil wherever he went. However, he could have put oil with water in it without knowing any better. It's a shame for his bus. It's a nice, low mile rust free bus. But.... too expensive considering it could land me on the side of the road in 10 miles or 2000!

I am leaving for Tennessee tomorrow. I am down in the area for 4 days and going to be looking!