Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chev 350 gas-replacement
My new skoolie!

After several weeks of waiting, we finally made the 150-mile trip yesterday to pick up our bus. The seller had mislaid the title, so we had to wait while he got lost-title documents from the state of Washington.

The bus is a 1986 Bluebird Mini Bird. It has 151,000 miles, but the seller replaced the 6.2L diesel with a Chevy 350 gas engine. Most of the seats are out and there is no lift to deal with.

I'm trying to find operator's manuals for this, since I don't even know how big the gas tank is. I put 21 gallons in it, then got another 12 gallons about 90 miles later. The guage bobs around like crazy, it's pretty hard to guess whether you're 3/4 or half, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised at its top speed--when I test-drove it, the bus topped out at 50 miles an hour. The seller said it was actually 10 miles low, so topping out at 50 would mean I was actually going 60. I can live with 60, but hated the thought of going 45 mph on the freeway. When we measured speeds on the highway going home, it was keeping up with traffic, except for the long hills. Also, I took the downhills very cautiously, and probably went a little slower than everyone else.

It definitely handles like a truck. The driver's seat seemed a little wobbly, so maybe that made things feel odd. In its furthest-back position, the seat was still about 2-3" closer to the steering wheel than I prefer. Gas pedal was fine, but I had to hold my braking foot in the air, then tuck my left foot under the heel of my right foot to support it while braking. I started thinking about bolting a piece of 4x4 right where my heel would land. The weird way of braking made going through town and hitting every stoplight on the way a challenge.

Short term goals for this bus include getting insured and licensed by the end of August for a camping trip with friends. The electric door is cool, but I want to get an RV door with a lock. The emergency escape lever on the back door is tied to the handle with heavy rope so the back door can't be opened. I've got heavy webbing and all kinds of fastex buckles, so I'll make up a strap that locks the door but can be quickly unbucked in case of emergency.

I also want to get a locking gas cap but have no idea of which one to get. I didn't realize how many varieties there were until I tried to find one last night! I got one that looked like it would work, but the lock wasn't engaging.

I want to have bunks for 4, a basic kitchen, and space for a toilet or porta-potty. I'd like to figure out a way to have a shower, but that may need to be an outside setup. For the August trip, I'm hoping to get the beds and kitchen built, even if its nothing more than a countertop unit with sink and watercans for fresh and gray water storage. Coolers and a Coleman stove can take care of cooking/refrigeration needs. Eventually I want to get a battery bank set up, a refrigerator, generator, flushing toilet and black/gray/fresh water tanks. This is a really small bus (compared to some of the guys with 70-passenger full sized buses!) so I'm going to need to think small and be creative.

Does anyone know if I can take the windows out and turn them over?

Cheers,
TA

The gravel is for a parking pad for the bus--right now it gets way too wet and muddy to put the bus there.

Tool Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: My new skoolie!

You couldn't just flip the windows over on our Blue Bird. Even stripping the frames apart & putting them back together would have involved "problems". On our bus, the bottom of the window frame is the fixed glass. The top of the window frame has the gasket the keeps the top section dry while traveling. We would of had to completely rework the windows. And I figured I did enough to the windows. But I like the fact that I can leave the windows open 4" to 6" and the "eyebrows" over the windows keep the rain out. Even in a blowing rain, I can usually keep the blowing side open an inch and the lee side only half closed (6" open). I don't like being all shut up.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Bummer about the windows! Ah well, off to move gravel and plot the floorplan...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

you could even put the windows in sideways ... that will take some metal fab work of course.. turning them upside down might not require much since the side channels are the same either way.. i should go outside and look at one. if the top and bottom rails on the windows are exactly the same also, it should fit either way. i think the ones i took out of my bus were the same.

best thing to do is just to get some nice rv windows and change the opening. that mostly requires getting the uprights and internal braces redone a bit, and some skin removal.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I looked at the windows I took out of my old Superior and they would work upside down by removing a stop on the sash and reinstalling it on the other track. BTW, the skin '49 is talking about is knuckle skin--not bus skin I think, at least that is how it worked with mine
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

u have an 86 chevy frame under that shell,so an 85 chevy 1 ton parts will fit it,why did he change from a diesel to a gas burner.hope he change the fuel tank too. that why every thing is out of wack.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
u have an 86 chevy frame under that shell,so an 85 chevy 1 ton parts will fit it,why did he change from a diesel to a gas burner.hope he change the fuel tank too. that why every thing is out of wack.
He didn't like the diesel engine, was planning to convert it, and apparently is a mechanic so getting an engine was no problem. The gas tank was drained has not been changed out, nor any of the guages. In fact, he told me I should get different temp and oil pressure guages since they are all calibrated for the diesel engine.

I definitely want to redo the dash, as it's original and pretty worn out. There are a lot of switches that do nothing, cut wires, etc. Time to find a spec book for this model and trace some of the wires down. I'd really like to put in white lamps where the red flashers were at at the very top of the bus--someone did this and I thought that would be really handy for setting up camp in the dark or if you're driving down a really dark road in the middle of nowhere. I'd guess that driving on the freeway with white lamps that high on the bus is a big no-no. Sure would light up the road though.

The ugly dash:
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Work in process--floor

Started working on the bus this week, about half of the rubber flooring is gone, leaving plywood behind. A roofing shovel works wonders on this stuff! The goal for this weekend is to remove the last two seats, get the rest of the rubber out, and lay out foamboard and 2x4's, then (ideally, I know) get the flooring in.

For now I'll leave the stairwell and driver's platform intact.

When I pulled the metal trim around the edges, I noticed a lot of rusted screws. The plywood itself seems sound, but I thought there would be a metal floor, not wood.

Some questions:

1. What should I use to fill the holes in the floor?

2. Should I use stainless screws to fasten the 2x4s to the plywood, and stainless nuts/bolts for through-the-floor things?

3. I was planning to glue and screw the 2x4s in place--any recommendations on brand/type?

4. Vapor barriers--seems like people use red paper (I've seen the stuff at Home Depot) but would heavy plastic work as well?
Won't this collect moisture under the floor and make the plywood and 2x4s rot out?

5. Is there metal under the plywood floor?

6. Is there a specific glue to use under the foam board, or will the stuff I use to glue the 2x4s in place work for the foamboard as well?

Here's a few pictures--my son is 11 and old enough to be a real help. We are both pretty stoked about our bus.
The quality is pretty bad, sorry, my phone takes really bad pictures at night and it was almost dark when I took these.

Cheers!
TA

Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I would guess there is steel under the plywood, but a quick inspection from underneath the bus should tell you for sure. If it's undercoated, you could try using a magnet to check.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowBoxer
I would guess there is steel under the plywood, but a quick inspection from underneath the bus should tell you for sure. If it's undercoated, you could try using a magnet to check.
There's metal underneath--saw it yesterday when crawling under the bus to remove the remaining seats. There is thick black tar-like undercoating everywhere, but one spot near the stairs where you can see galvanized metal.

I'm considering skipping the insulation and just laying down another layer of 3/4" plywood, then flooring. We don't intend to full-time in this bus, it will be a 3-season road trip vehicle.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

On a rig that short you might consider a combination potty/shower. Many of the small factory builts had them and that's what I'm going with. I'm just not willing to shower outdoors below about 76 degrees and hope to be able to camp/travel year-round. Sitting on a warm potty seat and soaking in nice hot water beats standing in the cold & mud any day.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Before you get carried away and jerk your windows out to replace or change... Ask yourself WHY you feel the current windows are unworkable? Don't change them just because you can. The longer I live with top-down windows, the more I like them. I "frosted" my windows (Clear Matte/Satin spray paint) and have privacy even with the window left partially open to let a breeze in. Can't do that with a side-slide or bottom-up window. And like I said before, I can leave my windows partially open while it's raining. In a straight down rain, I can leave the windows completely open. I only screened the top half (opening part) of my windows using a mixture of frame kits, screen kits & extra frame corners from Home Depot (I need 1 more package of corners to make a screen for the shower stall window... you would think that I could remember to pick up a package considering I work there 5 days of the week). I used a program called "Cutting Stock" which is similar to the "CutList" program I also use for laying out sheet goods. Both programs let me layout the parts needed with the least amount of waste.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
On a rig that short you might consider a combination potty/shower. Many of the small factory builts had them and that's what I'm going with. I'm just not willing to shower outdoors below about 76 degrees and hope to be able to camp/travel year-round. Sitting on a warm potty seat and soaking in nice hot water beats standing in the cold & mud any day.
Sitting on a WET potty seat and standing in a WET floor gets old too (I did the "dry off" with a faux chamois for a while... got old). The Class C has the all in one water closet (27" x 48" toilet/shower/sink). EVERYTHING gets wet! Probably okay for weekend use but not so great for full timing. We did survive it (and my daughter is still currently living with the despised all in one) but it cemented a decision to have our shower & toilet separate from each other. After a shower we left the door open for the stall to dry out and placed a "floor towel" that I bought at a then local WalMart. I use these same towels on the floor in the bathhouses. Nice to step out of a shower onto a clean dry towel to get dried/dressed. Easy to clean and they dry fast as well. They are nice and thick like the ones you find in hotels.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

The space constraints are just too great to consider anything other than a combo potty/shower in the shorty SKOOLIES. Fulltiming in a shortie would probably get to you sooner than the combo pottie/shower anyway Like Tango I'll be using a combo--I just won't shower that often PEE U!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Taking a shower every day is not necessary. It removes the natural oils in your skin, and will leave you wrinkled before your time.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Taking a shower every day is not necessary. It removes the natural oils in your skin, and will leave you wrinkled before your time.
You wouldn't say that if you'd happened by yesterday afternoon while I was working on my bus--it would have been similar to what I say to my son--"get in the shower! you SMELL!".... Working on the bus in 90-degree heat isn't pretty.

I didn't get any pictures this morning--I've got 2/3 of the plywood laid for the floor. I need to lay the area between the back door and the back of the wheel wells. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

I'm planning a camping trip the last weekend of the month, and there are some things that are imperative to have completed:
1. Bed for my spouse to sleep on
2. Seats for spouse and our son (this is a folding seat/bed from a full size van, this will also fulfill #1)
3. Modify the base of the driver's seat so it is 2-3 inches further from the steering wheel. I have to brake with my leg cocked at an odd angle, since the seat is so close to the steering wheel. I got some steel to bolt to the seat base, and will then re-drill the mounting holes and re-position the seat.

Anything else can wait--I have a water tank, but won't put it in until I get the $$ together to set up a 12V system with batteries, charger, and panel box. I want to replace the door and get the bus painted fairly soon, get the beds in place (nifty expanding bed with a bunk above) and set up the basic kitchen. I need to get a gray water tank but will probably install that underneath the bus. I'm still trying to gather information about plumbing layout and water pumps.

I'm planning a combination toilet/shower space, but not the way Lorna is imagining--I'll get some pictures up once I lay the floor and get the dividers in place. I also need to measure the porta-potty to make sure what I'm planning will work out with the cement mixing tub as a shower pan.

Here's the pictures I took last weekend.

My son and his buddy removing the seats

Testing some "hammered" spray paint on the side--meh--not too impressed, especially at $8 a can.

I took it to the DEQ last week and it passed with no probem. The previous owner had never gotten a title in Oregon (where he lives) or Washington (previous owner before him) so to get the bus licensed in Oregon I must file a lost title form for Washington, get a Washington title, and use that to get registered and titled in Oregon. Crazy! Got insurance on it a couple of weeks ago from GMAC, which was wonderfully easy, all done online.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

At eight dollars a can for spray paint you'll go broke painting the bus.
I have had great success painting several vehicles with oil based enamel house paint mixed with Penetrol. Penetrol is basically linseed oil. Mix one quart Penetrol to one gallon paint. Use a roller and brushes. My paint jobs have lasted for many years.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

I used Rocker Guard. $9 a can, took about 12 cans to do my bus. its like an undercoat and its paintable. its a rubber/oil mixture.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I brushed our hammered paint on (Hammered Copper and Hammered Black) with paint brushes. Rolled on the Rust Stop (body) paint with a foam roller (no thinning). Too windy out here in NM to use rattle cans or a spray rig.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Thinking of getting an HVLP spray setup from Harbor Freight and going with Rustoleum paint and Bus-Kote on top.

The hammered paint was only planned for the rub rails, but it would be close to $100 for enough paint for the rails.

You can't tell by the pictures, but the paint ran badly, especially where my son tried it. Many years ago I learned to use an airless and can usually get good spray coverage, even with a rattlecan. Not this time! At about half full, the spray got very inconsistent and uneven, no matter what I did.

I'm tempted to pierce the can, cut it open with tin snips, put the paint in a jar and try to paint it with a brush, just for giggles.