Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: Big Block
My bus is an empty canvas : )

Hello everyone I just bought a 1995 Ford Bluebird short bus about a month ago. I have been working on setting out my floor plan and stripping it down to the basics. I took the seat out and ripped up the rubber mats, now its just some plywood flooring and the original ceiling. I am completely new to carpentry and electrical wiring and just about everything that this project requires, but I have faith and hard work on my side. The next step for me is deciding how to insulate the floor and ceiling. I will be living in IA all year round, which means harsh winters and hot summers, I can deal with the heat but the cold gets me every time. I am looking for advice on this next step, should I strip down the ceiling/walls of the interior metal and insulate with foam boarding? Or would that be extra work when I could just add the insulation to the walls as is?

also, I am researching solar panels, does anyone have a preference?

I truly appreciate any and all assistance here, I will be posting pictures soon and reading up on everyone's projects. Thanks, cheers.

MissJaneStrummor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: My bus is an empty canvas : )

you need to have a total of 5 posts approved by moderators before you see instant posting...3 more needed

Welcome to this crazy place on the internet
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Skoolie

Welcome!

I live in Iowa, too. Maybe this year won't be sweltering hot. It sure is cold though!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJaneStrummor
... should I strip down the ceiling/walls of the interior metal and insulate with foam boarding? Or would that be extra work when I could just add the insulation to the walls as is?...
Welcome! Several people who are currently doing their conversions have opted to pull out the inner panels and replace the insulation. Some have found that their existing insulation was perfect, others found nasty mold and rust. It sounds to me like a lot of work. I didn't do it on my bus, but then again, I'm not living in my bus, and I live in a warm/hot climate rather than cold, so I'm not so concerned about this issue. If I were going to live in my bus long term, honestly, I don't know what I would do about removing panels, but I would give that option a lot more weight in my decision making. As it is, I just added some insulation to my walls and floor, and insulating beads in the roof paint, but due to space constraints, I really didn't add much insulation. In short, my bus is not very well insulated, but it serves my needs well enough.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote