Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 16
Hello from Utah

Hello everyone, my name is Mike in South Salt Lake, just found this site while looking for fuel pump swap info. Here is the skinny on why I have a "short bus" and the plans for it. My neighbor passed away a few month ago and had a bus sitting in his drive, when the family asked if we wanted it...not knowing why, I said sure. So now that I have a third project in the drive way and being an Emergency Manager and disaster prep kinda person (not extreme) I put two and two together and came up with three. You see I already had a dune buggy project and two pit bikes sitting around...so why not build a "Bug Out Bus on a Budget". Total costs
Bus...Free
Dune Buggy..500
Trailer...500
Pit Bikes...175
So total right now its at 1175, so I figure any cost I put into this project, I am still ahead. I will post pics as soon as I get them uploaded, the bus is a 96 Chevy Thomas Built with a 350. I plan to section off the rear of the bus for storage and leave the front section for basic living. And doing this all on a budget. I have a few connections in the community for paint and automotive work that I can not do myself. I will be submitting the project to a few different prepper publications as it goes, so even though on a budget...I am not going to Half A** anything either. I want it to be functional but yet doable. I hope if I have any questions I can refer back here to the pro's for advice, thanks in advance.

disasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Hello from Utah

welcome to the craziest bunch of folks this side of the sun...
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Nice crazy though. Most of the time.

You win on sales price. We are all unworthy!

Looking forward to pictures.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Metrotrans
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 25

Yah, I thought I got a deal at $2000, great price...welcome and enjoy the addiction.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterman
I will be submitting the project to a few different prepper publications as it goes . . . I hope if I have any questions I can refer back here to the pro's for advice, thanks in advance.
Where else will you be publishing your progress?
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

That was the last of the good deals.

The rest of the conversion will cost more $$$$.

The bus is always the cheapest part.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Year: 1954
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy 4502
Engine: TBD (hopefully a cummins)

Greetings disasterman! From a fellow Utahn. I'm up in Centerville, about 15 min north of you. Looking forward to seeing your progress and some build pics. I'm gearing up to get some work rolling on mine (54 chev short bus). We'll have to meet up for a bus appreciation night or something!
chocolatetoothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote