Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39
My 1951 Wayne IHC

Hello all, I have enjoyed your site for over a year now and thought I should thank you all and describe my '51 L163 IHC Wayne bus project. Also I wondered what happened to the "Traveling Man" and his "My Baby" 60 chevy/wayne. Anyone know? He had a little fire and hasn't posted since. Hope all is well with him and his bus. My 51 Wayne is the 2nd bus I've owned. In the early 90's I had a pretty nice '78 IHC "High headroom Air Force bus. A shuttle from Offut AFB. I turned it into my band bus. Diesel/Allison. I always missed that bus and when some young guys in my little village of Page Neb came up with this old '51 IHC/Wayne 39 pass I wanted it bad but they wouldn't sell. The four of these guy's were partners in it and it became their "party bus" Shuttling on St Pats and such events,poker runs etc. They did have some fun! 2 shabby yard sale couches and recliners, a table with 2 original seats, a bed in the back and a killer stereo. While partying, everyone felt free to write all over the place with black markers,some of it pretty vile! 13 years later I still had my eye on it, and as the partners had grown up and moved on, I was able to buy it for 500 from the one that actually held the title. He lives one house away and the bus was in his dads parking lot at his shop 3 blks away. It sat 7 years with a full tank of gas. Smelled a little varnishy but not too bad. I decided to tow it to my shop 3 blks but it was stuck hard in dried mud. A buddy got his skid loader and broke it loose and towed me home. It rolled pretty good with flat spot tires and front brakes only. The rear brake flex hose was cut and folded over, wrapped with paper towels and clamped with visegrips! This actually worked and held pressure against the hydrostat booster without leaking after I got it running! Put a 12v battery in it and it started up pretty good. It had been converted to 12v alternater already. Took it for a 16 mile drive with no real trouble. Exhaust leaks were unbearable though and the front brakes only had to go. Leaks from manifold to cobbled flexpipe to Mack semi stack up the drivers side. Cool heat shield though. I was able to buy a 51 L160 straight truck from a local scrap yard with only 16000 miles on it and I stripped it of ALL parts that I could use on the bus. Including a perfect exhaust system. Motor/trans all low miles and Identical. But my SD240 in the bus now runs perfect and I rebuilt the brake lines and rear wheel cylinders[4]. Long story longer, bus is now mechanically right and I've removed all the inside panels and insulated and reinstalled the panels. A tough job but it had to be done. Bought an old Exel camper with Air/fridge etc all you could want for accessories. I have the roof air installed and it works great.Dometic is good stuff! Replaced the stationary glass all around with new tinted lami and gasket. [I am a glass installer by trade, among other things,many hats] I have obtained a set of 9x20 traction tires for the rear and mounted them to a good set of split ring rims. The rear has 6.16 gears and with the old 7.50x20s it's pretty high rpms at 55mph. The 9x20s should act like 5.70.Not much but it will help. 9s are 4.5" taller than 7.50s. It will have to do for now. Next I paint the steel floor, 1/2" stiff foam, 5/8 plywood and 5/16 rubber mat then area rugs as I need them. I have A/C Installed and plans call for camper dual sink, Excel on demand water heater[Amazon $116.] ventless Mr heater, AC/propane fridge from camper and compact shower/toilet combo and tanks/plumbing/pump from camper. Drivers and passenger seat are burgundy leather 6 way power buckets from a 86 New Yorker turbo. They are AWESOME! I have a 3 burner stove,small oven but I'm not sure I really need it. Maybe. I've restored many vehicles and now I have a 64 Cyclone, a 60 falcon drag car, a 72 Harley XLCH, a 84 Rabbit and my 92 Jeep Cherokee dailly driver. This bus is going to tow my drag car trailer to the track [150 miles ] for comfortable weekend racing and camping at my spot on the river. I am really enjoying the challenges and planning this project involves. I hope to have some pics soon but I'm actually kind of dense about some things. One day at a time! Oh yeah,I've got a nice little generator, 2000/4000 and a 90 watt solar setup and inverter and a 30 gallon propane tank. Total off grid if needed. 60 gallon gas capacity. 10 mpg cruising at 50.

Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote