Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Thesis Conversion!

Been following the site for a while now - and decided to bite the bullet and just do it!! I'm converting my (coming soon) short bus into a veggie oil ran, solar panel equipped, traveling sanctuary for my Thesis! Trying to raise awareness of the tiny home movement and our connection to a self obligated idea of "home" and our possessions. Been in the planning stages for months and I'm about to actually commit to a bus at this point. Just a few questions for my pre-bus purchase-research notebook...
1) what are the best ways to secure a bus. Deadbolts, secondary latches for windows, door and window jammers? any and all ideas are helpful!
2) Anything (mechanically or otherwise) I should be ultra weary of as I pursue a few bus'? Never purchased a bus nor do I have friends who have.
3) If the bus breaks down half way across the country, what are options for help if the problem is over my head?

Can not WAIT to actually buy the bus and get going! You guys keep me goin'
~*~~chloe and the magic school bus~~*~

avacahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Re: Thesis Conversion!

I would suggest a shuttle style bus. Basically its just a e350 or e450 chassis (van front end and mechanicals) that can be repaired by almost any auto repair shop.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Welcome! --- And...if you can find one with a diesel and overdrive tranny...all the better.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #4

I am currently looking a 1988 International American Transport with 100,000 miles and a 7.3L diesel but the fact that shuttle buses are an easier fix is very interesting. I tended to stray away from those shuttle buses because I figured it would be easier to insulate an older bus. Also, shuttle buses are more expensive!
avacahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacahda
I am currently looking a 1988 International American Transport with 100,000 miles and a 7.3L diesel but the fact that shuttle buses are an easier fix is very interesting. I tended to stray away from those shuttle buses because I figured it would be easier to insulate an older bus. Also, shuttle buses are more expensive!
That is a non-turbo IDI engine. It will go 0-60 in 5.0.....minutes.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacahda
Been following the site for a while now - and decided to bite the bullet and just do it!! I'm converting my (coming soon) short bus into a veggie oil ran, solar panels equipped, traveling sanctuary for my Thesis! Trying to raise awareness of the tiny home movement and our connection to a self obligated idea of "home" and our possessions. Been in the planning stages for months and I'm about to actually commit to a bus at this point. Just a few questions for my pre-bus purchase-research notebook...
1) what are the best ways to secure a bus. Deadbolts, secondary latches for windows, door and window jammers? any and all ideas are helpful!
2) Anything (mechanically or otherwise) I should be ultra weary of as I pursue a few bus'? Never purchased a bus nor do I have friends who have.
3) If the bus breaks down half way across the country, what are options for help if the problem is over my head?

Can not WAIT to actually buy the bus and get going! You guys keep me goin'

~*~~chloe and the magic school bus~~*~
Hello friend have you got the bus and designed in your own manner? Can you share out some pics?
BenedictPresl is offline   Reply With Quote